Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 831 times

Advertisements

Whether one owns or rents in the State of Washington they will pay the high sales tax of 9 to nearly 10% on everything but prescriptions, doctor visits, and groceries. There may be other exceptions as well, but unlike many other states what is taxed also is services. Like yard work --- sales tax is supposed to be collected and paid by the provider. And also the state charges quite a lot for property taxes. But, the one thing they don't gouge on is the cost of buying your vehicle tag each year. There is some talk about increasing sales taxes or putting in some kind of income tax for the future. It seems our governments everywhere like to grow and spend more money.

I live in the Olympic Peninsula area part of the year and really do enjoy the peacefulness, clean air, and seemingly low crime. However, I know if you live on the wrong side of the paper mill in Port Townsend you will smell the foul air every now and then depending on the wind direction. Fortunately for me I never smell it unless driving into town occasionally. Sometimes it's like a sewage smell. Before buying property in Port Townsend make sure it's not down wind of the paper/pulp mill. Port Townsend has a great little downtown and fine restaurants too. Their restaurants are better than cities many times larger. The tourist trade is driving the quality of our downtown. Also, Port Townsend does not have chain stores other than grocery stores. There is one McDonalds, but you hardly notice it because they cannot display their big golden arches. The nearest Costco, however, is in Sequim which is like about 30-40 minutes' drive away. No Walmart or Home Depot will be found in Port Townsend, but they are in Sequim.

I'm most attracted to Port Townsend because of what I've mentioned, but also it's liberal. We are largely Democrats and vote that way. I think too Port Townsend has very good medical care. The people are friendly and courteous. We have classical music, art, and diversity. Pedestrians have the right of way. Drivers most of the time drive too slow or slower than the speed limit. They flash their lights at you if you drive too fast or simply pass them on the highway. I've learned to never be in a hurry. Deer often walk in the road and perhaps that's another reason everyone tries to drive slowly. People are laid back and not formal.

You could use the app Zillow to locate properties in every city/town for your price range. Zillow won't cut you off from using it for not registering an email. Since our home is deep within century old fir trees our greatest fear is fire. Second to that is a massive earthquake which the Olympic Peninsula is overdue for. Of course, should that happen it would likely mean death and destruction for not only here but Seattle too.

Have you considered manufactured housing? I'm a little bit familiar with it. Not talking about double wides or trailers. The quality I've seen is pretty good and the pricing is lower than tradition stick and mortar homes I think. You may be able to stay in your price range that way assuming you can buy land, get access to water, etc. at a reasonable price.

Last edited by 9armadillo; 09-04-2016 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 01:53 AM

173 posts, read 182,034 times
I would say that in that price range it will be difficult, but not impossible. If you are willing to expand your housing type or budget, I would look into Bellingham or Vancouver, WA.

I lived in Bellingham for almost 2 years and the weather is nicer there than in the Seattle metro. Due to being a college town it has developed many amenities, library, hospitals, shopping, and community events. It is also close to Vancouver BC for big city events/outings and still only 1.5 hrs from Seattle.

Vancouver, WA is only 20 mins from Portland with all its city amenities. Again, weather is better than Seattle metro. I have relatives who move there from the Seattle area and really love it. There also seem to be many smaller towns/communities within 15-20 mins to Vancouver, WA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington