Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 12:08 PM

11 posts, read 21,190 times

Advertisements

I am planning on relocating to the PNW, but I cannot decide between these two cities. I currently live in the south in a rather large city, 7th largest to be exact, so I want to be close to a bigger city but far enough out due to the higher costs of living. Anyhow, I have not been able to find a lot of info comparing these two cities.

I love Seattle and Portland both, and it would be great to be near either city. Things that are important to me, in no particular order, are cost of living (specifically rent and food), public schools, commute times/traffic, culture (very into natural/green living/recycling/community gardening/etc.), restaurants (foodie, craft beer, and coffee fanatic) scenery (in love with mountains and the ocean), and job market/salary.

I suppose I should mention I have a BS in criminal justice-forensics and a MPA, so I would be looking for legal, law enforcement, and other criminal justice positions. Additionally I have property/office management experience and over 12 years of clerical/administrative experience. I plan on moving in February, so it is imperative that I make a decsion soon, so that I may beging to apply for jobs later this month. Would love to here from people who have lived in either city. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 05:54 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,017 times
#1 question is always "what's your budget?"

Old 12-05-2016, 07:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
If you like a Seaport waterfront, inland waters, more coffee centric than beer, like to dress up rather than dress down, are aggressive in your career and relationships and can handle Seattle traffic and costs, then head there. (Seattle freeways are affectionately called "parking lots")

If you are OK with 2 BIG rivers and <1 hr to coast or Mtns, more laid back (prefer beer to coffee), wearing Birkenstocks with wool socks and a bizarre combination of fiber wraps, if you could be happy spending all weekend lost within Powell's Books Powell Portland and Vancouver is Less aggressive at work and on the road...(WA schools are considered better academically, tho Beaverton, SW, Lake O have good HS. (You get FREE college instead of HS in WA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start)

with your experience and EDU, you might need employment in Portland (9% income tax)

Maybe there is a position at Vancouver, WA VA (rehab) or Volcano Research center or Forest Service.
It would be sweet to get a MPA job with the Vancouver Historic Trust (managing properties on Ft Vancouver US Army site). 7 min to downtown Portland during non-traffic hours (~18 hr / day)

Old 12-05-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
Upon the initial transition, I plan to live very frugally. I have a 15 yr old daughter and have debated, in an effort to save money as the move itself is going to cost a fortune, to rent a 1 br apt (she gets the bedroom, I get the couch). Ideally, and please tell me if I'm wrong as I currently live in state where the COL is well below the national average, I would like to be in the $700-800 range for that size apartment.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:23 PM

You have peeked my interest, StealthRabbit! When you put it that way, Vancouver is sounding better.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
I should also mention that have zero debt, car and credit cards are all paid off.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:35 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
If you live in Vancouver you will not be taxed on your income, even if you work in Portland. You will pay sales tax in Vancouver, but it is easily avoided by making most purchases in Portland. Big ticket items like cars and trucks are not taxed in Oregon but you must prove residency. They are pretty strict on this.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:55 PM

427 posts, read 430,850 times
Seattle-Tacoma Metro Area would be a better choice. You can live cheap (Auburn, Puyallup, etc) and be next to the Pacific Northwest's largest city (Seattle). Oregon has less to do than Washington.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
Seattle-Tacoma Metro Area would be a better choice. You can live cheap (Auburn, Puyallup, etc) and be next to the Pacific Northwest's largest city (Seattle). Oregon has less to do than Washington.
This initially was one of my concerns between the whole Portland/Seattle debate. I do plan to have a job lined up before I move. In your opinion, which city will $10k go further in....Tacoma or Vancouver. That's what I have saved for the move.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:28 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
10K? Be careful. That can vanish pretty quickly. However, to answer your question, it would probably last longer in Tacoma than Vancouver, simply due to the proximity to Portland. Tacoma, and suburbs are less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington