Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 10:41 AM

17 posts, read 50,031 times

Advertisements

We are planning a relocation, and we are wondering how realistic full-time living on Whidbey Island actually is. My husband would be commuting to an area between Mukilteo and Everett. I will be homeschooling my 3 children, ages 8, 6, and 4.

Are there plenty of activities on the island for homeschoolers? How about for families on weekends? If my husband can do the commute, would we still want to be leaving the island all the time to do things?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 10:55 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
The commute by road will be long and expensive.
The commute by ferry will be expensive, and the schedule may not be convenient.
Sometimes the ferrys don't run.
Many years go, when I was much younger and dumber, I commuted from Mount Vernon to Renton. I would never do it again.
I haven't been back there in years, I have no idea what it is like now. I lived in Oak Harbor in 1962, Mount Vernon in 1963. Those were nice towns back then.
If my job was on the mainland, I think I would want to live in Marysville or Snohomish.

Now, all that being said, I'm sure there are people on the Island who commute to the mainland. It certainly IS doable!

As for leaving the Island to do things, what "things" did you have in mind? Camping in the mountains? Yes, you will have to leave the Island for that. There are lots of opportunities on the Island for other activities, though.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:06 AM

Thanks, Redraven. By "activities," I'm concerned about classes and/or co-ops geared toward homeschoolers during the week, and places to explore/eat/shop on the weekends.

ETA: Marysville has definitely been on our radar. Housing seems more affordable? But I am having a hard time learning anything about the community itself.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:23 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notokiedokie View Post
Thanks, Redraven. By "activities," I'm concerned about classes and/or co-ops geared toward homeschoolers during the week, and places to explore/eat/shop on the weekends.
Whidbey Island is not heavily populated. Oak Harbor is the only town of any size and that's at the north end. Coupeville and Langley are tiny tourist towns that have about one main road for each. Did you see Practical Magic, where Sandra Bullock opens up a shop? That was in Coupeville. They painted the buildings for that movie and it's just one road. Oak Harbor is primarily a military base and be aware, there are planes known as "growlers" which are very loud. Our younger son did have a school field trip in Anacortes at Padilla Bay, that's about it. Whidbey Island would easily be defined as charming, there's Deception Pass, a huge two part bridge where you can hike around the base and Fort Casey (basically empty) and the ferry that takes you to Port Townsend on the west side of Coupeville but homeschool resources will be very limited.

Marysville is...not great. For what you are looking for I would recommend more toward Edmonds and Mukilteo.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:46 AM

Seacove, thank you for responding. Can you please tell me more about Marysville? I was hoping housing seems more affordable because it is further north, but maybe that is not the case.

I'm concerned about finding a SFH in Edmonds or Mukilteo within our budget: ~$400K.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:11 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Others may put it more directly but I'll just say Marysville tends to have more crime. I would sooner recommend doing a search on redfin for single family homes in Mukilteo since Edmonds will be more expensive. Bothell puts you in a great school district, Northshore, but that's a little further from Everett. There will likely be some older fixer uppers in Bothell though. You could buy a brand new house for $400K in Marysville but it would not appreciate much and you might regret your purchase.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:14 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Have a peek at Historic North Everett in Everett, particularly the area north of 19th St and West of Broadway. They are lovely areas, full of classic homes. Your money will get you a nice house there.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:18 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
WHO Region 6 - Washington Homeschool Organization

Try looking further north. The Arlington School District has:

Quote:
The Stillaguamish Valley Learning Center is a public school offering K-12 alternative learning experiences through its Campus, Home and Online programs. Our mission is to provide a wide variety of educational opportunities and resources in a supportive learning community for parents and students who prefer an alternative to the traditional school setting.
Home - Stillaguamish Valley Learning Center

For homes:

Arlington WA Single Family Homes For Sale - 110 Homes | Zillow

Old 01-15-2016, 01:24 PM

Thank you, Seacove, homesinseattle, and CrazyDonkey. Very helpful advice -- I appreciate it!

So, are you all saying No to Whidbey? I'm reading articles online about Mukilteo doing away with a bunch of commuter parking, but that was 2009. I'm wondering how lengthy the commute is and how difficult parking is.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:28 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,374 times
We have an excellent homeschool community in Granite Falls. Houses in my neighborhood are available in your budget range, come with at least 5 acres, in a gated community. Many people from here commute to Everett (Boeing, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington