Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 04:45 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times

Advertisements

Seattle and the Puget Sound area have always been blessed and cursed by bodies of water, mountains and topography. Now, with all the people moving here, it is truly prudent to study the way traffic works and how it affects your commute before deciding where to buy or rent. Believe me, get a smaller home in a closer-in location, you'll thank me someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 03:41 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
I am not surprised. My insurance went up about 20% because apparently we've been named a high risk area by insurance companies. Each area has it's own metric though. Seattle for instance, most people on the road seem to have a purpose, but traffic gets too heavy and/or there is an accident, and things slow to a crawl.
Up here in Bellingham it's different. There are cars and trucks racing by at 65 mph, and then some dimwit will come up the onramp, fail to speed up, and cut over into traffic doing 40mph and cause an accident. I have seen and heard it, almost daily from my workplace. Even though the onramps have been extended, and the "gore", solid white lines you are not to cross, also extended, people still cut over early, not up to speed, and cause a wreck.
Even worse, it seems the area is so renowned for it's bottom draggers on the onramps, that the semi-truck traffic simply moves over into the fast lane as they approach Bellingham and camp there.
Do people realize it's state law that its the merging vehicles responsibility to join the flow of traffic, that means you speed up, and then finally find a hole in traffic and fit in, without making the person on the freeway have to speed up or slam on their brakes?
I mention this again, not because I want everyone out of my way so I can blast down the road. No. I've seen the paramedics cutting cars open, bring people out in stretchers, cars rear ended in chain accidents catch on fire with flaming gasoline running all over the road beneath the wrecks, semi trucks roll down the embankments, and the freeway closed for hours due to this, and there is no reason for this to happen. 9 times of 10, it's some Subaru, Prius, gold or plum colored Buick, and so on, that comes putting up the onramp and causes a wreck.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:54 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I have no problem with people who drive the speed limit or drive a speed according to the weather. The point is if the speed limit on 101 is 55... don't drive 45 and back up 20 cars behind.
The part in bold is the important bit. 'Limit' therefore the fastest one can drive but not required. The minimum would be ~35 and absolutely fine and legal - if there's a minimum at all. Driving 45 in that zone is perfectly fine. If you don't like it perhaps driving isn't for you.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:11 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
The part in bold is the important bit. 'Limit' therefore the fastest one can drive but not required. The minimum would be ~35 and absolutely fine and legal - if there's a minimum at all. Driving 45 in that zone is perfectly fine. If you don't like it perhaps driving isn't for you.

Interesting interpretation of posted speed limits. Tell that to the State Patrol.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:58 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
"Impeding traffic" is a real ticketable offense. There are laws that cover this and there are few "minimal" speed laws in Washington.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.425

Old 02-05-2018, 10:22 PM

I’m done here. I drive the posted speed limit. Those who choose not to, fine. Topic is closed for me.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 02-05-2018 at 11:19 PM..

Old 02-05-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I’m done here.
And why?

Old 02-05-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
And why?
Read my above edited post. Enjoy the Washington forum.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:53 PM

OK, I have read your edited post. You say you drive the posted limit. That is fine. Props for that. But I don't understand your overall point. My post says it is illegal to impede traffic. If you are driving the limit, you are not impeding traffic. What am I missing?

Old 02-06-2018, 08:14 AM

436 posts, read 570,847 times
Can't say I blame him, thread devolved into trolling about halfway down this page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington