Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 11:34 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

The costs associated with the virus are impacting the state.

"With the coronavirus effectively shuttering Washington’s economy and crushing state tax collections, Gov. Jay Inslee used his veto pen Friday to slash $445 million in spending from the state operating budget.

In a perhaps unprecedented move, Inslee made line-item vetoes to 147 programs as he signed the state supplemental operating budget, which tweaked Washington’s two-year spending blueprint."

As coronavirus freezes the economy, Gov. Inslee slashes hundreds of millions of dollars from Washington state budget

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...tate-spending/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 09:32 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Unfortunately, I can't just proceed. I have to place the forms with rebar, vents, and anchor bolts and have them inspected before the concrete goes in. Then the drain system gets installed around the bottom of the foundation and is also inspected before the dirt is pushed back against the foundation (AKA backfilled).

Old 04-10-2020, 08:22 PM

335 posts, read 422,043 times
No offense, but I've never seen somebody so down on a state/region be unwilling to relocate. In thread after thread, you complain about Bham, and the WA cost of living, and how you could take a substantial pay cut and live better elsewhere.

So why not move?

Old 04-10-2020, 09:24 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
The essential industries are an interesting call. What nobody has mentioned is maintaining a
semblance of freedom. This is new territory for both government and retailers. Obviously too many restrictions becomes a problem in a free country. Tough decisions but better to side on the side of freedom over tight restrictions, but keeping public health and safety in mind. It is a balancing act but I think Inslee is doing a commendable job.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 04-10-2020 at 10:03 PM..

Old 04-11-2020, 09:52 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
The essential industries are an interesting call. What nobody has mentioned is maintaining a
semblance of freedom. This is new territory for both government and retailers. Obviously too many restrictions becomes a problem in a free country. Tough decisions but better to side on the side of freedom over tight restrictions, but keeping public health and safety in mind. It is a balancing act but I think Inslee is doing a commendable job.

Yes, that is what makes this such a tough one. Heaven forbid a son or daughter or wife or husband or us get this terrible virus. We have ta stay vigilant, but, as you say, a free country with the (or what was anyway) most vibrant economy in the world can't stay capped for too long. Oh how we all want at least a strong semblance of what we had several weeks ago again.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
No offense, but I've never seen somebody so down on a state/region be unwilling to relocate. In thread after thread, you complain about Bham, and the WA cost of living, and how you could take a substantial pay cut and live better elsewhere.

So why not move?
I will be moving, I'm not building in Bellingham!

Old 04-13-2020, 10:26 AM

Are you moving out of Washington state, rkcarguy?

Old 04-13-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Are you moving out of Washington state, rkcarguy?
I have some family here still, so in the near future, no. This build will be my last Washington state home though, unless I see some major changes. When property taxes surpass my food budget, I'm gone.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:03 AM

I have some family here still, so in the near future, no. This build will be my last Washington state home though, unless I see some major changes. When property taxes surpass my food budget, I'm gone.

Especially if you're not retired yet and your skillset can be taken to another state. I understand your reasons ta stay in Washington state, though. Makes sense with family near and all.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:48 PM

I can take a job at a significant pay cut in an income tax state with average housing costs/taxes and come out well ahead. For most working class here, it's just a financial treadmill of poor to mediocre life unless you're in that top 1/8th of the income earners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington