Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 07:28 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,820,285 times

Advertisements

I do use property management...

In some ways the 3 year appealed because previous had rented 1 year to well qualified but they ended up buying as did the tenant previous...

Mostly all professionals relocating to WA.

My best tenant ever sold home and was building and got caught in building moratorium so it was several years... treated place as there own and I had several visits staying in guest room.

My concern is the sustainability of being able to pay taxes with retirement income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 08:28 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,948,414 times
I am trying to understand the above post. You say your best tenant sold home? That doesn’t make sense. If he was a tenant how could he sell? Am I missing something here? But I agree increasing property taxes are a major issue for those on a fixed income.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 05-06-2021 at 08:44 PM..

Old 05-06-2021, 08:52 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,699,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I am trying to understand the above post. You say your best tenant sold home? That doesn’t make sense. If he was a tenant how could he sell? Am I missing something here? But I agree increasing property taxes are a major issue for those on a fixed income.
Sounds like they sold a home, were building another and needed a place to live for the duration of construction.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:45 PM

^^^ Yes... my best tenant sold their home of 7 years to have funds to build their eco friendly dream home on 20 acres near Yelm on land they owned.

Renting was to be a one year step during the build.

Some might remember the challenges during the building moratirium which my tenant became entangled...

The one year stretched into several...

If a tree toppled in a storm they took care of it... even chipping and spreading... when spring brought potholes on the shared drive they used their tractor to level and spread gravel... take a few pictures and forward modest invoices...

In other words no service calls for a tripped breaker or gravel or tree trimming... and they were connected locally...

Old 05-06-2021, 11:24 PM

Ok, sorry didn’t understand this somewhat complex situation.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:02 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,699,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
^^^ Yes... my best tenant sold their home of 7 years to have funds to build their eco friendly dream home on 20 acres near Yelm on land they owned.

Renting was to be a one year step during the build.

Some might remember the challenges during the building moratirium which my tenant became entangled...

The one year stretched into several...

If a tree toppled in a storm they took care of it... even chipping and spreading... when spring brought potholes on the shared drive they used their tractor to level and spread gravel... take a few pictures and forward modest invoices...

In other words no service calls for a tripped breaker or gravel or tree trimming... and they were connected locally...
They had the machinery to fell, chip and spread? They had a tractor?

Now I'm really impressed.... We will need to buy several of these things for our property. It's a big investment. Not to mention you have to know a thing or two while using them.

If that had been my tenant I would probably had actually paid them!

Old 05-07-2021, 11:46 PM

Rent never went up and he scanned invoices and time... and I would send a check...

He was building on his 20 wooded acres and had his own timber mill... nothing fancy and the tractor had forks to move the logs

The chipper was owned by his brother in law...

Tenant profession is soil and drainage engineer.

With the current round of record home prices I expect property tax and things like insurance to spike...

A friend is a builder in Texas and just told me almost $8 for 2x4x8 now and plywood fluctuates just like the stock market...

I need to replace 18 x 24 deck and only thing I’ve been told is it will be expensive...

Maybe I need one of those bandsaw mills?

Old 05-08-2021, 04:57 PM

8,079 posts, read 8,412,891 times
https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...c-2811f984caa3

Quote:
The U.S. Postal Service tracks net migration — moving from one place to another — based on its mail recipients. According to a recent study, Aberdeen ranked number nine in the country for net in-migration, the number of people moving into the community.
Quote:
The company's [Zillow's] sales figures found Aberdeen homes sold at 22% higher prices in March 2021, compared to March 2020 — the fourth-highest rate in the nation.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:46 PM

My best guess is this is because the area has been depressed for decades and homes are a steal compared to the rest of western Washington. Supply, demand, and these days, cost. “Unprecedented”, a word used in the link.

That said, the climate there is dreary unless you like clouds and rain.

Old 05-08-2021, 09:54 PM

8,079 posts, read 8,412,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
My best guess is this is because the area has been depressed for decades and homes are a steal compared to the rest of western Washington. Supply, demand, and these days, cost. “Unprecedented”, a word used in the link.

That said, the climate there is dreary unless you like clouds and rain.

Wetter, but not much drearier/cloudier than Portland or Seattle. Same weather, just fresh off the ocean. Summers are beautiful. The demand is sopping up all of the supply. Higher prices should stimulate more supply.

Besides the cheaper real estate, an additional attraction for WFHers is that the PUD has been investing in fiber Internet since 1998:

Quote:
Your PUD has been investing in a fiber optic network since 1998 and continues to expand the network within our service area.The network not only provides the PUD with a resource that is critical to the operation of the electrical system, it provides an additional benefit as well; it makes high-speed telecommunications accessible to many areas of Grays Harbor that might not otherwise have this service available. Today our expanding fiber optic network includes over 200 miles of line and continues to grow.
https://www.ghpud.org/telecom-service-map

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 05-08-2021 at 10:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington