Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 06:45 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
Is there usually a wooden (or otherwise flexible) subfloor in condos/apartments? Walking/standing on concrete is something I want to avoid in a home as well.

I'm not a sound engineer, but I'd think part of what makes floors noisy is the hollow void between layers/floors/ceilings. The more insulated/filled/solid it is, the more dampened any sound.

If the floors are concrete I'd think your better way to make them soft would be to pad them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 11:14 PM

726 posts, read 1,369,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
I actually found an interesting resource regarding soundproofing (as well as other condo issues). I guess links can't be posted here? In any case through google I found "Geoff Southworth". His article on sound issues was a tutorial for me. Initially I googled something like "how to find a soundproof condo" and followed some links. His name didn't come up right away- maybe a couple of pages into it.

I think I found the article you're referring to and several others. Green glue, floor underlays, extra drywall, and lots of other fun stuff.... but would need help with it all.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:42 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,737,076 times
Quote:
Is there usually a wooden (or otherwise flexible) subfloor in condos/apartments? Walking/standing on concrete is something I want to avoid in a home as well.
Typically with this type of construction all they need is a vapor barrier and then tile, laminate, or carpet and padding goes down over the concrete. There has been a shift to using even more of it lately, because lumber is so overpriced right now and concrete is only up ~15%.
You should be able to tell by checking out the areas under the vanities where the pipes come out of the floor, look for plywood or OSB subfloor and not concrete. Concrete has less give and is hard on the feet and knees, and can be a nightmare if you have plumbing problems, so I understand if that is something you are looking to avoid.

Ruth, I bid portions of these projects all day long, so I'm well versed with how these projects are built. If you are curious how a condo building was built and wanted to hinge a purchase on it, I think you can request plan copies from the city.
Wood structures are generally limited to a certain number of levels, so once you get higher than that everything is going to be reinforced concrete and/or steel.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:28 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,737,076 times
Quote:
I think I found the article you're referring to and several others. Green glue, floor underlays, extra drywall, and lots of other fun stuff.... but would need help with it all.
It's quite complicated. I thought solid was better too, but when you look up tried and true methods for sound proofing they involve dense foam or insulation between the studs with standoffs that support another layer of dense sound deadening materials and also create an air gap. I guess the air gap would help eliminate sound transfer through the materials, kind of like an anti-drum if that makes any sense lol. My kids will be upstairs in our next house so I have been looking into this over our master bedroom as well.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Typically with this type of construction all they need is a vapor barrier and then tile, laminate, or carpet and padding goes down over the concrete. There has been a shift to using even more of it lately, because lumber is so overpriced right now and concrete is only up ~15%.
You should be able to tell by checking out the areas under the vanities where the pipes come out of the floor, look for plywood or OSB subfloor and not concrete. Concrete has less give and is hard on the feet and knees, and can be a nightmare if you have plumbing problems, so I understand if that is something you are looking to avoid.

Ruth, I bid portions of these projects all day long, so I'm well versed with how these projects are built. If you are curious how a condo building was built and wanted to hinge a purchase on it, I think you can request plan copies from the city.
Wood structures are generally limited to a certain number of levels, so once you get higher than that everything is going to be reinforced concrete and/or steel.

Very useful tips... thank you!

Old 06-25-2021, 02:00 PM

741 posts, read 1,380,253 times
rkcarguy,

Yes, I echo freepelican in thanking you for all the information.

Old 06-25-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post

If I wanted to get a property looked at for these types of issues before I buy, what type of professional should I look for and how could I find them? Is it common/possible for a home inspector to cover these type of questions??

Old 06-25-2021, 06:36 PM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 333,293 times
Interesting article that may influence where to buy,

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...crowded-ports/

Old 06-26-2021, 04:45 PM

741 posts, read 1,380,253 times
Thank you jerzdevil. As someone not that familiar with the geography I appreciated that the article included maps. The comments were interesting too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington