Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 10:37 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,737,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would never buy the property without getting approval ahead of time from the city/county. Here in our city for example, a mobile would not be allowed. Up where my Mom is in unincorporated Clallam County people do it all the time, in fact Sequim WA has several mobile home dealers, along with well and septic installers.
Even approval ahead of time is no sure thing. At any time, some "entity" can file suit with the state, or the legislature passes some garbage measure taking away your water, place moratoriums on building permits and/or new septic systems. Even if it's found unconstitutional, or later studies/investigations don't support the issue after years of court, they will take no accountability for the hardship, bankruptcy, and losses that property owners endured for a measure that was later thrown out.
FYI, we are seeing old Mobile homes in parks go for $150K+ these days. The $50K lot that was ready to go was a late 90's, early 2000's thing that is long gone in most areas of the state now. Lots of mobile home parks get razed and turned into apartments. Evidentially places to live for low income workers are low on the priority list, we'd rather cram them into Section 8 apartments and subsidize them with taxpayer $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 05:10 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Either you DIY, or use an agent or friend. I have bought / sold / kept over 40 prop transactions during my free time 30+ in WA, only (3) had an agent involved (at request of other party). Less than 1/2 my properties were listed For Sale, I prefer to dig up my own deals (as do agents). It is VERY simple. Don't waste an agent's time if you can DIY, they have multi million dollar projects to get closed.

For a MH, you need to get specific on what you want in a property, THEN drill down location, THEN find out county / city restrictions on your available locations, THEN make a map of available areas, THEN get busy digging up the information you need to buy a property in that area.

BTW, I have seen plenty of $50k lots / properties, but not as plentiful as when I was in accumulation mode (1970 - 2008), Currently, been selling and it is tough to part with those 'sweet-heart deals', of which many are irreplaceable. (no more available land in those regions).

This is a very tough order... (Metro counties have no interest in SPRAWL / plopping a MH on empty land). they have bigger fish to fry... i.e. How to convert that ugly MH park into high rise apartments = TAX and Income revenue machine.

Surprised you didn't mention one of your "tricks", Stealth - find an existing MH, one in bad shape, but with a well, septic, and power drop. Buy it cheap. Remove the old junk MH, bring in your new one. Of course check first, but probably a lot that you buy with a MH on it, you can put another MH on it if you want to. Again, check that, no doubt there are a few areas where you can't do this.

MH quality is all over the place, the cheapest ones are cheap for a reason, the best ones are very tight and efficient homes. And you can generally get one set up on time and on budget, unlike a stick built house, particularly now with building materials going for premium prices and sometimes not available.

Good luck in any case!

Old 06-22-2021, 08:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
or better yet... bring in a Used (but very nice MH) on a LEGALLY placed lot for MH (Do check this out very carefully, some existing MHs are not in compliance).

~$5k to move one in, and there are a lot of them available on the used market.
We found a NEW senior 'ADA equipped' double wide all set up but grandma never lived long enough to move there. $22k for a home that would cost $60k+ to purchase new (at the time). Recently prices for MH are far north of $100k. I can stick or concrete (ICF) build for under $80k, but it is a lot more time and work.

I prefer older MHs with metal siding and metal roof.

Particle board / LP siding, 3 tab roofs are just not adequate protection for a home in the PNW. (or anywhere)

Old 06-22-2021, 09:38 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Surprised you didn't mention one of your "tricks", Stealth - find an existing MH, one in bad shape, but with a well, septic, and power drop. Buy it cheap. Remove the old junk MH, bring in your new one.
Welll..... *Diana* mentioned that idea upthread there ... and it can be a very good option!

One note about Stealth's idea about bringing in a USED manufactured home. Most lenders, FHA and Conventional, will not finance a manufactured home that has been moved from it's original placement (google financing for twice moved manufactured homes), is not on a permanent approved foundation, or one that was made before 1974 when the HUD rules changed quite a bit on them. So if you do look into moving a used one, not only could you not get financing now for the project, you would only be able to sell in the future it to an all cash buyer and will take a significant hit on value and the available buyer pool.

Quote:
MH quality is all over the place, the cheapest ones are cheap for a reason, the best ones are very tight and efficient homes. And you can generally get one set up on time and on budget, unlike a stick built house, particularly now with building materials going for premium prices and sometimes not available.
Very true, MH quality varies, and has improved quite a bit since the old single wides. Newer ones today are available with all the same high-end materials you would find on modern stick-built homes, including nice solid wood cabinetry, tile floors and granite counters, Hardy Plank siding, and metal or slate roofs as an option.

Quote:
Good luck in any case!
Indeed.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Welll..... *Diana* mentioned that idea upthread there ... and it can be a very good option!

One note about Stealth's idea about bringing in a USED manufactured home. Most lenders, FHA and Conventional, will not finance a manufactured home that has been moved from it's original placement (google financing for twice moved manufactured homes), is not on a permanent approved foundation, or one that was made before 1974 when the HUD rules changed quite a bit on them. So if you do look into moving a used one, not only could you not get financing now for the project, you would only be able to sell in the future it to an all cash buyer and will take a significant hit on value and the available buyer pool.

Indeed.
This is how you can avoid high property taxes however.
One of our commercial condo renters (granite countertop worker) was property taxed out of his lakefront home he built in the 80's, and he bought some property with one of these metal sided/roofed mobile homes and made it REALLY NICE inside lol.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
This is how you can avoid high property taxes however.
One of our commercial condo renters (granite countertop worker) was property taxed out of his lakefront home he built in the 80's, and he bought some property with one of these metal sided/roofed mobile homes and made it REALLY NICE inside lol.

And as long as it's liveable the property will likely appreciate in this market just not as well as if it were a newer more marketable mfh.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
And as long as it's liveable the property will likely appreciate in this market just not as well as if it were a newer more marketable mfh.
No doubt. But his property tax is now down to a more realistic $280/month when his lakefront home was just shy of $1,000/month! His taxes alone grew to be more than his house payment was when he had a mortgage!

Old 06-23-2021, 11:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
No doubt. But his property tax is now down to a more realistic $280/month when his lakefront home was just shy of $1,000/month! His taxes alone grew to be more than his house payment was when he had a mortgage!
My WA property taxes (per month) are 3x my highest ever mortgage payment, I 're-buy' my home via taxes every 7 yrs,

I have a 1970 MH in WA that is taxed 3x my HIGHEST Texas property tax (which is very high by national standards). WA makes it nearly impossible to contest Personal Property Taxes. Assessor uses multiplication, owner can only use subtraction and addition. No way to win that game, and I have spent many yrs in Olympia property tax court fighting for the Proptey Tax cause of my elderly / farmer neighbors.

One neighbor has a 120'x240' "Barndominium" (with 3 story apartment inside). Assessor lists "Accessory Storage building with a bathroom", but... the taxes are still pretty steep. My dirt ALONE is valued at over $500k (under my 1970's mobile home). I did 'over-pay' for that property due to it's proximity to other props I owned. ~$26k total cost. (MH, Well, Septic, Power, 6+ acres, 40x60 metal shop...fantastic view (Assessor likes the view))

Old 06-25-2021, 04:52 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Quote:

Very true, MH quality varies, and has improved quite a bit since the old single wides. Newer ones today are available with all the same high-end materials you would find on modern stick-built homes, including nice solid wood cabinetry, tile floors and granite counters, Hardy Plank siding, and metal or slate roofs as an option.

Indeed.

Thanks.

Don't quote me on this, but I think a (state) law changed in WA a few years ago, such that if an existing mobile home is moved, it has to be completely rewired before any power provider will connect with it. The underlying issue is tight-stretched wiring, frequently aluminum rather than copper, and the flexing of the MH while it's being moved perhaps pulling connections loose.

I do know a buddy who previously moved a lot of trailers quit the business a few years ago when this law was passed. Previously it was pretty common for people to move MH from one lot to another - well the M is for mobile right?

Good point that 1974 was when standards were raised considerably, the old pre-74 single wide units are not all that well built. Well, they are pushing 50 years old and older too.

Still, finding a decrepit MH installation and replacing the old trailer with a new MH, while using the same power drop, well, septic, etc. seems to me to be a potential cost saver and as I said I would *think* that if there is an old trailer on the property, the "powers that be" would not object to replacing it with a newer and more valuable MH. It might be possible to buy the existing shack and land for less than the improvements to a new parcel would cost. People are funny like that, an ugly old trailer in the middle of a decent lot can really depress the selling price. Most just see what is, and can't imagine how it could be modified to be what they want.

Old 06-25-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Thanks.
Don't quote me on this, but I think a (state) law changed in WA a few years ago, such that if an existing mobile home is moved, it has to be completely rewired before any power provider will connect with it. The underlying issue is tight-stretched wiring, frequently aluminum rather than copper, and the flexing of the MH while it's being moved perhaps pulling connections loose.

OK I won't quote you... (ooops... I think I just did! ) But that's interesting, at least on mfhs from the era when aluminum wiring was used. An inspector would better know when that was, we've only run into it a couple times on inspections. Most are copper, at least of more recent vintage.

Quote:
I do know a buddy who previously moved a lot of trailers quit the business a few years ago when this law was passed. Previously it was pretty common for people to move MH from one lot to another - well the M is for mobile right?

Good point that 1974 was when standards were raised considerably, the old pre-74 single wide units are not all that well built. Well, they are pushing 50 years old and older too.
Right but they also used to be built as light as possible to be able to move. The old mobiles with aluminum siding and 2x3 paneled walls were light. New ones with Hardy Plank siding and standard 2x6 construction with sheetrock, porcelain tubs and granite counters, are not built to easily go down the road. They're heavy!

Quote:
Still, finding a decrepit MH installation and replacing the old trailer with a new MH, while using the same power drop, well, septic, etc. seems to me to be a potential cost saver and as I said I would *think* that if there is an old trailer on the property, the "powers that be" would not object to replacing it with a newer and more valuable MH. It might be possible to buy the existing shack and land for less than the improvements to a new parcel would cost. People are funny like that, an ugly old trailer in the middle of a decent lot can really depress the selling price. Most just see what is, and can't imagine how it could be modified to be what they want.
YES and we help people look for properties to do this all the time. Particularly in areas where setbacks from either wetland buffers or gophers, or some other critical areas ordinances will allow a new home to be placed on the same footprint, generally with a lot easier permitting than doing something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington