Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 10:36 AM

131 posts, read 323,072 times

Advertisements

Ten houses have sold on my larger cul-de-sac in the last few months. That's more than all the 16 years I've owned here. We had a ten year run without any house for sale. One recent sale went for $750,000 in a few days; all sold in a week.

Sure, it's a (was) nicer working class 'hood, but people are deciding that Bellingham isn't worth the effort. Plus, the $600k profit would buy a nice piece of conservativism somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 08:09 PM

335 posts, read 421,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
but people are deciding that Bellingham isn't worth the effort. Plus, the $600k profit would buy a nice piece of conservativism somewhere else.
Who’s deciding that? Not all the people buying.

I’ve decided it is worth the effort, but not the money. I can buy near Denver or Chicago for less.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:01 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Ten houses have sold on my larger cul-de-sac in the last few months. That's more than all the 16 years I've owned here. We had a ten year run without any house for sale. One recent sale went for $750,000 in a few days; all sold in a week.

Sure, it's a (was) nicer working class 'hood, but people are deciding that Bellingham isn't worth the effort. Plus, the $600k profit would buy a nice piece of conservativism somewhere else.
Pahn, I think he meant the working class are moving out. Whoever it is buying these homes and paying so much, seem happy to do so. The working class are either choosing to sell and move out of state, or are forced to leave due to property taxes pricing them out. We're down to about 5% of the working class being able to afford the average listed home price here, housing is so out of touch with income it's asinine.
I have an average sized group of FB friends that all used to live here in Whatcom county, and sans one couple, they have ALL moved away.
The insane housing values are at least allowing them to cash-out their new homes elsewhere. One family sold their spec home for $150K more than they paid only 18 months ago and was able to buy a nice place in Ohio cash.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:18 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Pahn, I think he meant the working class are moving out. Whoever it is buying these homes and paying so much, seem happy to do so. The working class are either choosing to sell and move out of state, or are forced to leave due to property taxes pricing them out. We're down to about 5% of the working class being able to afford the average listed home price here, housing is so out of touch with income it's asinine.
I have an average sized group of FB friends that all used to live here in Whatcom county, and sans one couple, they have ALL moved away.
The insane housing values are at least allowing them to cash-out their new homes elsewhere. One family sold their spec home for $150K more than they paid only 18 months ago and was able to buy a nice place in Ohio cash.

Please don't encourage people to move to Ohio! I know our governor wants people to relocate here, but I sure don't want to see this become another Seattle/Bellingham!!! Yikes!

Old 07-08-2021, 03:58 PM

3,096 posts, read 2,220,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
[/b]

Please don't encourage people to move to Ohio! I know our governor wants people to relocate here, but I sure don't want to see this become another Seattle/Bellingham!!! Yikes!
I don't think you need to sweat that too much!

The slow growth rate in the 2020 census would allay any fears you might have. The 10-year growth rate in Ohio as well as Cincinnati is a whopping 2.3%. The same number for Seattle and Bellingham are 23.8% and 13.7%, respectively.

The city of Cincinnati collects taxes on (Federal) deferred income because it expects people not to stick around...

Old 07-09-2021, 08:56 AM

208 posts, read 145,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post

The city of Cincinnati collects taxes on (Federal) deferred income because it expects people not to stick around...
What does this mean? Can you provide a link? It sounds outrageous to me, although I am sure it is real.

Old 07-09-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomelo View Post
What does this mean? Can you provide a link? It sounds outrageous to me, although I am sure it is real.
You will have to go to the website for the City of Cincinnati Income tax. I paid it for many years, so know it to be a fact. You pay 2.1% to the City on any income, deferred or not. And, like to do audits for good measure.

Old 07-14-2021, 09:02 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
For retirement, you might also want to consider:

* Birch Bay
* Anacortes
* Shelton
* Washougal

Old 07-15-2021, 06:46 AM

Thank you! We will look at these. We are not in a bad place (SLC) and can retire in place. But, are considering alternatives as well for reasons I do not want to get into here. Moving from a mid-size city, our preference is for a fair size town, not too small. And, retirement living adds considerations such as health care options (that Bellingham is not very strong on but is perhaps at an acceptable level with Seattle as a backup). We liked what we have seen of Bellingham, including the downtown district with restaurants, grocery shopping, etc. So, the idea of beach front high rise with ocean view, walking access to downtown as well as trails, along with outdoor options around Bellingham around appealed to us. That’s why were were/are attracted to this particular concept.

At the moment, it has not progressed far enough and what was on offer isn’t what we are looking for. We have a few years till retirement, so it does not require an urgent conclusion from our side. So, we will wait and see what develops and is on offer. Unless a very compelling proposition develops, we will try to spend a few months in the winter in Bellingham to confirm it is something that we are able to enjoy and stay active in outdoors. We think we can but it’d be good to confirm.

I will look at the other places you mentioned as well.

Last edited by kavm; 07-15-2021 at 07:16 AM..

Old 07-15-2021, 02:22 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thank you! We will look at these. We are not in a bad place (SLC) and can retire in place. But, are considering alternatives as well for reasons I do not want to get into here. Moving from a mid-size city, our preference is for a fair size town, not too small. And, retirement living adds considerations such as health care options (that Bellingham is not very strong on but is perhaps at an acceptable level with Seattle as a backup).
From what you're describing, the smaller towns like Anacortes or Shelton wouldn't offer what you're looking for. They are sleepy small towns and would get old unless you are specifically looking for small town living or want to participate mostly in outdoor culture.

There's some specialized health care for as far north as Everett if you can't get in to a doctor in Bellingham. There are also more health care options in Burlington to the south of Bham. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington