Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 10:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Picket Fence View Post

I've already started putting out shallow pans of water for the neighborhood wildlife in both places; this isn't going to be much fun for the birds, squirrels, possums, and stray cats, either.
Possums, etc... and not so good for people either...

Man Dies of Heat Stroke in Palm Springs After Organs Fail Due to 119 F Heat
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...cid=uxbndlbing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 08:34 AM

146 posts, read 154,511 times
So the earth is 4.5 billion years old roughly. Gone through a TON of changes over those billions of years. So while I believe our actions certainly do have an impact, we are literally guessing at this point the severity of them. Things like draining the water aquifers or rivers are much easier to see.

Imagine claiming to be an expert where data has been recorded for 100-125 years out of 4.5 plus billion….we don’t have a clue to be honest. We have the tiniest of tiny snapshots….

If climate change is possible, isn’t it also much more possible and plausible the earth is continuing to change…you know similar to how it changed for billions of years before we were here?

But hey….just go blindly give politicians enough money and they can fix it….they can’t fix homelessness or tons of other every day stuff….but just give them a blank checkbook to pass all their priorities in the name of fighting climate change and they’ll have it fixed in no time!

Old 06-26-2021, 08:42 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Well with ice cores we’ve looked back 800,000 years. Which is still small compared to the age of the earth. Just not so tiny as the past ~100.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:16 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,672,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlud View Post
So the earth is 4.5 billion years old roughly. Gone through a TON of changes over those billions of years. So while I believe our actions certainly do have an impact, we are literally guessing at this point the severity of them. Things like draining the water aquifers or rivers are much easier to see.

Imagine claiming to be an expert where data has been recorded for 100-125 years out of 4.5 plus billion….we don’t have a clue to be honest. We have the tiniest of tiny snapshots….

If climate change is possible, isn’t it also much more possible and plausible the earth is continuing to change…you know similar to how it changed for billions of years before we were here?

But hey….just go blindly give politicians enough money and they can fix it….they can’t fix homelessness or tons of other every day stuff….but just give them a blank checkbook to pass all their priorities in the name of fighting climate change and they’ll have it fixed in no time!
Of course. And no matter what happens… worst case scenario and all (6th mass extinction event)… the Earth will be fine and life in variant forms will survive and grow to adapt to new ecosystems. It has happened before and will happen again…. Just like my little motto “It’s just life. It will be over soon enough.”

But we humans are programmed to seek continued existence. Most of us at least. And we mostly have empathy too. So if we did collectively come to the conclusion that we are really messing things up for ourselves or our descendants we might choose to try to do something about it.

I personally have a weak and fragile autistic kid. I enjoy his company and I think he will be a productive adult but he doesn’t have it in him to survive big structural changes like war, famine, etc. That makes me sad. He’s actually very sweet and mild mannered. I want people like him to have a full life too.

And I do think it’s in the realm of possibility that him and millions like him will suffer.

And that’s only considering the humans. Countless wonderful and amazing species have less adaptability as even my son.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:36 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
Quote:

...............................Imagine claiming to be an expert where data has been recorded for 100-125 years out of 4.5 plus billion….we don’t have a clue to be honest. We have the tiniest of tiny snapshots….

This article is from 1994!!! The science has been validated by ongoing research.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...748-story.html

Read this book: Climate history for the West over the past 10,000 years.

https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520...-without-water

If the west is moving back to normal climate all the money politicians are spending right now on Industrial Wind and Solar Areas is a TOTAL waste of money.

Natural climate change and today's large human population out west means more dams and infrastructure for water distribution. Significant conservation of natural resources.

Instead tax money is being channeled to corporations for projects that do NOTHING to address even climate change as a result of man's activities.

Just a scam to enrich Warren Buffett among others. At least he knows it is scam, but takes the money anyway!!!

Old 06-26-2021, 10:21 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
If anyone had any doubt about human-caused climate change, this should convince them. It's happening so fast...really concerning.
Yep, now if we could get our rich and self-righteous political class to stop flying their jets around to tell people how bad climate change is and start walking, rowing, biking, or sailing to wherever they want to go, the better.

I've lived in the PNW for 30 years until last January and have never seen it that hot in that time. I flew from Seattle yesterday to Phoenix to avoid the extreme PNW heat. It is actually going to be significantly hotter in the Tri Cities where I used to live next week than here in Phoenix

Old 06-26-2021, 11:46 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
Quote:
Yeah, as long as we continue to elect know-nothings, do-nothings, and science-deniers to political office who are willing to tell you whatever you want to hear.

"Don't worry little piggy, despite all the "baying", the Wolf is not at the door. The Wolf is not real. The Wolf will not bite you. The Wolf will not eat your children. Or your children's children. All will be well. Trust me." --The Wolf.

The basic science behind the Greenhouse Effect is undeniable. Do you believe in "greenhouses" or do you believe they are a lie? See Venus.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 06-26-2021 at 11:57 AM..

Old 06-26-2021, 12:42 PM

146 posts, read 154,511 times
I believe our tiny tiny existence is but a spec of time against 4.5 billion years. I believe we have an impact for certain, but I believe using our spec of existence to say we have definitive answers is silly. I can remember all the stuff I was told in high school and how we would be out of oil 20 years ago, all dead by now etc. point is, we will be told to do “X” to save the world. “x” will benefit wealthy politicians and their inside trading activities with no real impact on the world.

We, the tax payers, are being exploited at every turn to do the bidding of the wealthy politicians to expand their wealth and family’s power. Blindly following big tech and politicians is a bad plan. Follow the money….

Old 06-26-2021, 04:58 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
The basic science behind the Greenhouse Effect is undeniable. Do you believe in "greenhouses" or do you believe they are a lie? See Venus.

Yep, I was taught that in 8th grade.

However, current C02 emissions are up 120 parts per million since 1900 or so.

To put PARTS PER MILLION in perspective.

Driving from LA to Barstow will get you up to 120 parts per million. The million part is driving to the MOON and back MORE THAN FOUR TIMES.

CO2 levels are correlated with increasing temperatures.....but, remember from your science classes that correlation does NOT MEAN CAUSATION.

BUT if you TRULY believe!!!.....45 MPH, limit 10 gallons of gas per week per licensed driver, and a TOTAL BAN on air travel except in emergencies. We ONLY have SEVEN years left according to the scientific illiterates.

Oh, Governor Inslee can do it TOMORROW.

Call him and see what he has to say.

Old 06-26-2021, 05:44 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,705,829 times
Regardless of your politics or favorite spin is on climate change, most cannot deny things are changing during their lifetimes. This includes increased heatwaves and fire seasons here in the PNW. More people will be affected by heat stroke, loss of personal property, fire smoke related breathing problems, etc...

Whether you want to believe it's just a cyclical change over billions of years matter not to the current human race. When you're living through change and retort its really nothing new in the grand scheme of things, I think the point is lost on reality folks are experiencing worldwide - an inconvenient truth. Of course many will go to their graves denying climate change as things continue to change all around them. Humans are funny that way. lol

In break with Trump, House GOP forms group on climate change

Climate change: World's glaciers melting at a faster pace

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington