Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 03:33 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,699 times

Advertisements

My daughter lives in the Broadview neighborhood. There is a brand new replacement elementary school opening this fall called Viewlands. A new school is always a plus. They were able to buy a house with a very nice sized yard in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 07:35 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
What's true for where they are coming from isn't necessarily true for here.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend living with kids in Seattle's core neighborhoods (due to density, traffic, etc.), but there are many other safe neighborhoods with good schools, lower densities, less traffic, easy access to parks and beaches, and easier commutes (to Downtown Seattle via Sound Transit/Metro Transit):

Central Seattle: Queen Anne Hill, Magnolia, Madison Park/Madrona/Leschi

NW Seattle:Ballard/Sunset Hill, Crown Hill/Loyal Heights, Phinney Ridge, Green Lake/Tangletown, Wallingford/Northlake; Broadview/Bitter Lake

NE Seattle: Sand Point/View Ridge, Bryant/Wedgewood/Maple Leaf, Matthews Beach/Cedar Park, Victory Heights/Olympic Hills

SW Seattle: North Admiral/Alki, Fauntleroy/Arbor Heights

SE Seattle: Seward Park

See; https://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/com...p_is_this_map/

Adjacent areas with still decent, but longer commutes:

North: Edmonds, Forest Park, Bothell, Woodinville

East: Finn Hill/Juanita, Kirkland/Norkirk, Lake Hills, Newport/Newcastle, East Renton Highlands, Issaquah/Sammamish Highlands

South: Normandy Park, East Hill/Meridian

Great list.

We don't have kids, so schools didn't matter but we wound up in an unincorporated King Co. neighborhood with a decent sized yard, views of the Cascades/Rainier, and great access to retail, local parks/trails/lakes and close proximity to future light rail stations. I think the bolded is probably what the OP is looking for most since Seattle is still a pretty big city with big city problems.

Old 03-23-2023, 09:28 AM

16 posts, read 17,654 times
OP, like others have said, your best bet would be to keep your home/work/school locations all within easy commuting distance. However many people in the Seattle area tend to measure commute by time rather than distance, and depending on the area, you can live quite far away if you are on the road when others aren't. For example, I commuted from Marysville to Tukwila for six months, however my job allowed me to show up at 5am and leave by 1:30pm. Even though it was 45 miles each way through one of the worst areas in the PNW, my commute time was a little less than an hour each way. For me, that was the best of a bad situation, and I was glad when I was no longer required to drive down there.

This is one of the reasons why people say to avoid certain areas, or avoid commuting by ferry for example. The distance may be short, but the time is always long. Some places are only 10-15 miles apart, but the commute times can be as long as an hour to make that distance. Other places are 20 miles apart, but commute times may only be 25-30 minutes.

Generally speaking, any location along the I-5, I-405 corridor between Everett and Olympia is going to be very crowded from about 6am to 11am and then again from about 2pm to 7pm. A lot of people make it work by commuting east/west instead of north/south. Issaquah to Bellevue/Seattle for example, or Bonney Lake to Tacoma. Still bad, but not quite to nightmare levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington