Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 08:14 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just doing a bit of research, I found that Bremerton would be a suitable location with actual prices at or below $300k. The problem will be finding one at that price with enough yard, and not in a high-crime area. At this pricing it may well be a double-wide mobile, and if too old may not be able to get a mortgage. Bremerton is one of the highest crime cities, where becoming a victim of either violent or property crime there is one in 29. There is always a reason for low home prices.
Bremerton is almost 2 hours away at times so really not a viable place to commute to Olympia. I wouldn't call Bremerton a high crime area, it is barely above the average in WA state.

Shelton is about 30 min away and can get a place for just above $300K. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2023, 12:59 AM

1,824 posts, read 803,368 times
^^Wow, I didn’t realize that flippers had ravaged Aberdeen!

Old 10-15-2023, 10:37 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
^^Wow, I didn’t realize that flippers had ravaged Aberdeen!
Ravaged??? Taking run-down places and making them livable and financiable is not "ravaging". It's a service many first time buyers need to be able to get into these homes. In fact, some of those linked that seem like bargains will not finance in their current condition, they NEED to be renovated to qualify for a mortgage.

The thing one always has to worry about in Aberdeen and some of the other areas linked up there is neighborhood safety and flood zones. Updating doesn't fix that, but it can help over time if it gets new homeowners into the area.

There are places in all the linked areas that are in the OP's budget... one just needs to be really discerning to be sure it's as good as it looks! Or in the case of the fixers, it will still qualify for a loan.

We just closed on a place in Napavine for some clients looking in the same price range. Great place that we hope will serve them well as a first home. Lewis county is also a good option for affordable places within a workable commute to Olympia.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 10-15-2023 at 11:22 AM..

Old 10-15-2023, 12:29 PM

302 posts, read 177,440 times
It sounds like the big first decision is if Washington is the right state to take a job and move. The beauty and everything except weather I'd say is better than California, but not as many sunny days, it affects mood in a big way. I would counteract that by getting a home where the windows face the south. I came from the east coast and never felt unsafe here. There's LGBT galore in all of Washington, even now in rural areas that use to be zenophobic. I personally am planning to leave this state for a sunnier less uptight environment, but I can say I see why people come here from California.

Old 10-15-2023, 02:40 PM

1,824 posts, read 803,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Ravaged??? Taking run-down places and making them livable and financiable is not "ravaging". It's a service many first time buyers need to be able to get into these homes. In fact, some of those linked that seem like bargains will not finance in their current condition, they NEED to be renovated to qualify for a mortgage.

The thing one always has to worry about in Aberdeen and some of the other areas linked up there is neighborhood safety and flood zones. Updating doesn't fix that, but it can help over time if it gets new homeowners into the area.

There are places in all the linked areas that are in the OP's budget... one just needs to be really discerning to be sure it's as good as it looks! Or in the case of the fixers, it will still qualify for a loan.

We just closed on a place in Napavine for some clients looking in the same price range. Great place that we hope will serve them well as a first home. Lewis county is also a good option for affordable places within a workable commute to Olympia.

You are a realtor, right???

I am guessing rent isn’t very affordable in Aberdeen anymore.

Yes, the recent real estate market has been awesome for flippers, air bnb owners & realtors.

Old 10-15-2023, 03:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Diana makes a good point. For folks who are not all-cash buyers, many homes in places like Aberdeen that haven't been renovated since the 1980s (or before) will not qualify for a mortgage. So, they can either continue to rot while entry-level homebuyers continue to face a lack of supply, or folks can flip them. It's just how the current system is set up.

Old 10-15-2023, 03:30 PM

335 posts, read 421,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Diana makes a good point. For folks who are not all-cash buyers, many homes in places like Aberdeen that haven't been renovated since the 1980s (or before) will not qualify for a mortgage. So, they can either continue to rot while entry-level homebuyers continue to face a lack of supply, or folks can flip them. It's just how the current system is set up.
The problem is that many (most?) flips are poorly done, and merely cosmetic touchups that hide the real issues with these older homes.

And for the love of all that is good, stop using the cheapest laminate flooring available. That stuff is UGLY.

Old 10-15-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
You are a realtor, right???

I am guessing rent isn’t very affordable in Aberdeen anymore.

Yes, the recent real estate market has been awesome for flippers, air bnb owners & realtors.
I don't do rentals, so I don't know what current market rent is in Aberdeen, but cheap rent in a run-down place is not living in heaven either. Many of these flips still may become rentals. Nice clean, updated ones.

Are there poor flippers out there? Sure. We've seen that. But there's a lot that are pretty good quality too.

Old 10-15-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Thanks. I know many have a knee jerk reaction to them, and like to complain about the same colors and materials being used in so many. But when they're making places available that would not have been financiable before, they're a good thing, particularly for entry level buyers who can NOT afford to buy a place and immediately sink $50-$100K into renovations.

Lots of buyers marvel at the brand new kitchens and appliances, but I make sure to point out the new roof, new siding and new windows that really matter for the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington