Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 05:10 PM

7 posts, read 7,088 times

Advertisements

Hello CD folks, I'm a single mom in my 50's with an almost-18 year old daughter. I may be relocating from California to Washington state due to work opportunities. I should be able to telework at least part time. I am currently accustomed to spending at least 2 hours/day commuting to-and-from work. We have spent time near Olympia, Tumwater and Aberdeen... Olympia is likely where the work will be; however my criteria is for less expensive housing ideally under $300K, which I do understand is a big ask but this is so that I can retire in 5-10 years. I liked the look of Brinnon. My daughter is mixed race (Eurasian) and LGBTQ and worries about feeling safe in some places we've visited. She will probably live with me for at least a few more years. We've been through a lot and I really want to live somewhere quiet, safe, and sit under the trees and watch the stars. That's the nightlife I want. We'd rather live on a little farm than in a large city. Thank you in advance for your input.

Last edited by 805gardengal; 10-12-2023 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2023, 08:48 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Might want to have a look at the Shelton area too.

Old 10-13-2023, 07:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Brinnon is cheap because there is nothing there. We used to go there often when our son worked at the Boy Scout Camp there (Camp Parsons) and there was just one store, and one restaurant. I can't imagine a place more boring for an older teen. I agree with Shelton, which is the county seat, also look at Belfair.

Old 10-13-2023, 09:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
With your social criteria and youthful daughter.... I would figure out a way to stay near Olympia (within public transit range).

Community college, state college, social activities to your preference. Plus easy access to popular population centers. (Mostly for benefit of your DD.). Once she flees the nest, you can choose your place of retreat.

Rural places, even near Olympia may have radical redneck neighbors who would make your fragile life miserable. Consider the hedge of protection that Olympia brings, as an added (temporary) expense for housing your daughter. Don't buy in this market, renting is much less expensive. And you can find just the right spot for the next few years, while you search for your LT spot to suit you. I think that will be very different than you need at the moment. It's just part of the sacrifice we make as parents. Some are quite important (to nurture our kids), then 'Poof'.... Kids are gone, often forever! Life / living choices become very simple, again!

Best wishes (I'm not a fan of Shelton for your DD sake). For your future nest.... Maybe nearby Shelton, but.... I think you can find better. It can take several years to find the near perfect spot. But it's worth it.

Remember.... Washington State offers FREE college instead of HS, if DD is still HS age. Beats the stress, danger, and social hassle of 'public schools'... Search 'Running Start'. / WA

Don't forget to look outside the box for housing. A retired friend was a gardener / caretaker on a private estate near Olympia. Owners seldom came, was very little work (which he was permitted to subcontract.) Cottage was free. Free boat, free dock, 10 min to town. He stayed there several yrs. Many snowbirds / retirees / wealthy have such needs.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-13-2023 at 09:16 AM..

Old 10-13-2023, 11:05 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
I think $300K is a no-go unless you are willing to make concessions on housing, like a single-wide on its own land or maybe a nicer one in a park. WA has grown over a million in population while only permitting less than 2/3rds of that growth in new "bedrooms". The result, housing costs gone wild, not far off of California in many places.

Old 10-13-2023, 12:48 PM

14,475 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Hello gardengal - I live and work in the Olympia area and live about ten miles south. We are rural people also and live on a farm with our horses, goats and chickens. We very much share your love of a simple safe life.

I don't think it's fair for some here to say rural people here will not be good for your daughter. I think most rural people around here accept people as they are, if they notice you at all. and this isn't 1955 or even 1985. Most people have evolved with the times. While the rural areas tend to be a little redder than the city, the split is still not a landslide. Washington's political conservatives tend to be more libertarian than traditional and this can lead to complaints that people are disinterested or standoffish, but not typically a danger to anyone's lifestyle or point of view. Most country people just want to be left alone, they're not in anyone's business.

I think you may find Brinnon to be too far out if you need to commute or live and may have spotty internet and cell phone coverage.... it's not just rural, it's pretty remote, and the daily drive challenging with windy back roads and bad weather in winter. But there are many places in between living in town and living that remote that can still be found. Your price range is a real challenge... no doubt about that, but it is perhaps possible if you are flexible and have time to search for the right thing.

Old 10-13-2023, 02:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Just doing a bit of research, I found that Bremerton would be a suitable location with actual prices at or below $300k. The problem will be finding one at that price with enough yard, and not in a high-crime area. At this pricing it may well be a double-wide mobile, and if too old may not be able to get a mortgage. Bremerton is one of the highest crime cities, where becoming a victim of either violent or property crime there is one in 29. There is always a reason for low home prices.

https://www.zillow.com/bremerton-wa/...ton%20WA%22%7D

Old 10-13-2023, 04:04 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
A friend bought a single-wide on around 10 acres of land in Belfair a couple years back for around $300k. Doable if you're patient and lucky. I agree that Mason County might be best.

Or Centralia-Chehalis.

Old 10-13-2023, 05:02 PM

14,475 posts, read 12,101,318 times
RE ^

A single wide won't qualify for a loan, but a double wide can if it's well maintained and newer than 1976. They certainly can be a good way to go for affordable places on acreage.

If you see mfh's in parks for a low price (under $250K), keep in mind they are not on owned lots, you have to pay space rent, which can be $500-1000 a month, and these places won't qualify for conventional or FHA financing. You can though, sometimes find other private financing or even owner contracts on them.

Old 10-13-2023, 07:32 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just doing a bit of research, I found that Bremerton would be a suitable location with actual prices at or below $300k. The problem will be finding one at that price with enough yard, and not in a high-crime area. At this pricing it may well be a double-wide mobile, and if too old may not be able to get a mortgage. Bremerton is one of the highest crime cities, where becoming a victim of either violent or property crime there is one in 29. There is always a reason for low home prices.

https://www.zillow.com/bremerton-wa/...ton%20WA%22%7D
BREMERTON is high-crime? What's that about? I've never heard that before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington