Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 10:31 AM

479 posts, read 802,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
As someone who lives in the Bay Area and Seattle, I can tell you bathrooms in either downtowns are impossible to find, for both tourists and homeless alike. If the cities really wanted to deal with the problem they would install a lot more bathrooms. I feel especially bad for the tourists who couldn't find a bathroom to save their life.
All nonsense and BS excuses. San Diego had very limited public restrooms as well but we didn't have feces all over the place. I travel all over and not many large cities have plentiful, *easily located* public restrooms. Sometimes you just have to be resourceful and make a little effort to go FIND ONE. Every department store has them, most major hotels have them in the lobby and every sit down restaurant has one. Life really isn't that hard most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 01:23 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
In busy areas with lots of homeless, it is common for many stores, restaurants, and other businesses to restrict bathroom-access to customers or clients. Many public bathrooms (in courthouses, etc.) are closed at night. I suspect that many of those not able to "hold it" overnight are chronic alcoholics.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:48 PM

479 posts, read 802,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
In busy areas with lots of homeless, it is common for many stores, restaurants, and other businesses to restrict bathroom-access to customers or clients. Many public bathrooms (in courthouses, etc.) are closed at night. I suspect that many of those not able to "hold it" overnight are chronic alcoholics.
I should have clarified that I know that *technically*, restrooms in many places are listed aren't intended for people to just walk in off the street but let's be realistic, they aren't going to guard the bathrooms to verify you're staying there. I've walked into restaurants 100 times and just told that hostess that's my wife is already seated out "I'm going to the bar" and instead go straight to the bathroom. When I'm in Boston, I can walk into any mega-hotel and use their readily accessible and fantastically clean bathrooms. Lastly, especially in Seattle or San Francisco, there is ALWAYS a Starbucks nearby and they all have bathrooms. Starbucks has also went public that anybody is welcome to come hang out, loiter, sleep or whatever whether you buy something or not after the brouhaha in Philadelphia.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:44 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,740,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
All nonsense and BS excuses. San Diego had very limited public restrooms as well but we didn't have feces all over the place. I travel all over and not many large cities have plentiful, *easily located* public restrooms. Sometimes you just have to be resourceful and make a little effort to go FIND ONE. Every department store has them, most major hotels have them in the lobby and every sit down restaurant has one. Life really isn't that hard most of the time.
Really? Nonsense? How is the need for public bathrooms nonsense? Given to get around in a city like San Diego most people are using cars which makes bathrooms much easier to find - just drive to a McDonalds or In N Out Burger. But, in walkable cities public bathrooms are a big deal. And given the rent that many places, even McDonalds, pay in downtown Seattle, you often find there is no bathroom at all. And Starbucks usually has a code to enter the bathroom to keep it customers only. Want to use the bathroom? Then walk to Pike Market. If you are 3 miles away this may be a problem.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:58 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Really? Nonsense? How is the need for public bathrooms nonsense? Given to get around in a city like San Diego most people are using cars which makes bathrooms much easier to find - just drive to a McDonalds or In N Out Burger. But, in walkable cities public bathrooms are a big deal. And given the rent that many places, even McDonalds, pay in downtown Seattle, you often find there is no bathroom at all. And Starbucks usually has a code to enter the bathroom to keep it customers only. Want to use the bathroom? Then walk to Pike Market. If you are 3 miles away this may be a problem.
What McD's or burger joint allows non-patrons to use the bathrooms? No fast-food restaurant I know of allows that. Another poster had it right; it's usually only department stores, where you can do that. Does B'ham even have any department stores?

Old 01-26-2019, 04:18 PM

499 posts, read 471,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What McD's or burger joint allows non-patrons to use the bathrooms? No fast-food restaurant I know of allows that. Another poster had it right; it's usually only department stores, where you can do that. Does B'ham even have any department stores?

Department stores and other locations with public restrooms in Bellingham:

Macy's
JC Penneys
Kohl's
Target
Marshalls
Bed Bath & Beyond
TJ Maxx
Homegoods
Fred Meyers
B'ham Public Libraries
Padden Lake
Bloedel Park

I imagine there are others . . .

Old 01-26-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
Department stores and other locations with public restrooms in Bellingham:

Macy's
JC Penneys
Kohl's
Target
Marshalls
Bed Bath & Beyond
TJ Maxx
Homegoods
Fred Meyers
B'ham Public Libraries
Padden Lake
Bloedel Park

I imagine there are others . . .
Lots of bathrooms, then! lol

Old 01-27-2019, 01:11 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:

In-N-Out and McDonald's were mentioned.

I've been to In-N-Outs in CA, NV, AZ, TX, and UT, and I've seen non-patrons walk in, use the bathroom, and walk out. I've never seen an In-N-Out employee monitor who is using the bathroom, nor even look over from behind a counter, or even glance over while cleaning the table area.

I've been to stand alone Starbucks in 46 states, and the only ones I've seen with key locks or combo locks are ones in bad neighborhoods, or in high density city areas with homeless issues ('Pre-Philly'). Same with the McDonald's locations that I've been to in IDK how many states (but probably 30+).

Old 01-27-2019, 09:08 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,740,564 times
Quote:
All you have to do is walk in, use the bathroom, and walk out. It's not like they have a guard.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
All you have to do is walk in, use the bathroom, and walk out. It's not like they have a guard.
The staff serve as guards. Some chain fast food places have signs up, that bathrooms are for patrons only. So do non-chain restaurants. And some locations are so small, you can't get in and out without being seen by staff. IDK, maybe the businesses in areas where there are more homeless people are stricter about that? And I guess Starbucks doesn't care? I thought it was a pretty common policy, but apparently not...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington