Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:53 PM

722 posts, read 1,512,267 times

Advertisements

Colorado and Wyoming will close the highway down with little to no notice for weather. and the motels, if you can get one triple the rates ( I got stuck in rawlins for 3 days and at 100 a night) They call in saeson rates when the hiway closes, and if no rooms you are snoozin in a car at night and in wyoming that can get chilly with a 40 mph wind blowing ( no joke, not gusts but blowing) Make sure you have a case of water with you and leave your tools at the back of the truck in case you need your shovels or whatever incase you have problems, it gets cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 03:59 AM

166 posts, read 490,190 times
I posted the same type of question last month, and saved a lot of time, money and worry by taking the most universal advice. Go across via I-40 into SoCal, then head up I-5 all the way to Seattle.

My trip was from Seattle to St. Louis, and the most direct route was I-90. I was also considering a trip south to stop and see friends along the way and take either I-80 or I-70 cross country. So I asked in all the forums for those states what they'd advise. Even with a good forecast, at least a few folks always said the one way not to go wrong was take the route that I ended up travelling.

The forecast went sour the day I took off, and if I'd not headed straight south when I did, it would've added at least 3 days onto the original time. And I was driving an SUV, and am pretty experienced in driving during Northern, Midwestern and Eastern winters. I drove 700 extra miles and am SO glad for having asked for--and following--the advice!

Have a safe trip, and make sure to take many of the recommended emergency supplies already posted no matter what route chosen, but especially if you choose to travel more directly.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 AM

5 posts, read 35,739 times
ok, i leave tomorrow. that last post did it. i am going to go thru california and add the 500 miles. i know there is at least 1 winter system happening in Dallas area right now so forget it. i'm grateful to you guys sharing your misery here. i'll still bring a shovel and water, i didnt think of that.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:01 AM

166 posts, read 490,190 times
Glad to've helped you finalize the decision. Hope your trip has gone well! Happy trails.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:08 PM

150 posts, read 696,249 times
Good luck and follow up when you make it to Seattle. I might do the trip again in the future just for fun. It would be nice to see how the drive through California is because I've driven most of it and down in AZ, NM and E. TX the drive is awful boring and long.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:06 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,775 times
I drove from Seattle to Denver colorado. January is a crazy month to be trying any driving over passes. Utah and wyoming are terrible states, but cascades will scare the heck out of you once you get to Wa. I vote: take the 10 to NM, find your way to I5 in CA, Ore, Wa and you will have no issues or worries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington