Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 07:23 AM

309 posts, read 1,025,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Because if they cram the same amount of hours into less days, that means attention spans fade further, followed by more days completely away from education.
Obviously this is all opinion based, though not on the same level as "favorite color" or "tastiest food" type of opinions, but I disagree.

Less time in school could be a good thing. I know when I was in high school 5 days with 2 days off on the weekend was standard. Usually we had family activities crammed into the weekend, and after a whole day of school I didn't want to do a bunch of homework that night, so If I could I put it off for the weekend, I did. With an extra day to do homework this would relieve stress and increase productivity.

Many of those against the 4 day work-week claimed similar doom and gloom, but practical implimentation shows that it actually increases productivity.

Also, education comes in many ways. Having an extra day could mean more safe and legal "play" which studies are showing that such "play" is a vital part of the development of the brain, even all the way to adulthood. The child that has off another day every week could be convinced to volunteer or get involved in other activities that contribute to "Real World" education. Much more important than memorizing some historical facts IMO (not to say history isn't important though).

I think the biggest part of the problem with education in this country isn't the schools but the parents. If you rely on a kid's education to be done strictly by the government and in some badly structured environment where you basically "learn to take a test", the problem, I think is with you (general you, not specific).

The LARGEST part of a kids education ought to come from the parents, the family and REAL LIFE, not from a classroom. Which is why I would be all FOR a 4 day school week. Obviously YMMV.

(FWIW, I am a huge proponent of education, both for kids and adults, and think learning should never stop after one gets done with highschool or college. Also I just recently graduated college after a late start - didn't start until I was 26. So don't think I argue this because I am "some redneck who dropped out of high school", or anti-intellectual or something. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 10:04 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post

The LARGEST part of a kids education ought to come from the parents, the family and REAL LIFE, not from a classroom.
The LARGEST part of a kid’s education does come from the parents and the family.

This is what gives us REAL LIFE.

We could do better.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The LARGEST part of a kid’s education does come from the parents and the family.

This is what gives us REAL LIFE.

We could do better.
No, REAL LIFE exists apart from education, the source is not important. Maybe in your idyllic world parents sit down and give a talk about sex to their kids (it certainly happens on TV), but you will find in many polls, especially in the Midwest and the Bible Belt, that parents don't do this.

I should have specified what I meant. Here it is. We need to focus on enabling parents and family to educate their kids on top of school, better and more fully than worrying about what schools teach them.

Also, the trend is that parents as a whole ARENT spending as much time with the kids, and throwing them in front of a TV, or video game, or computer to raise themselves. Do you not read newspapers, magazines or watch the news? What sort of pretty, happy little world do you imagine yourself in?

Quote:
We could do better.
Notice I never said we couldn't... The thread is about 4 day school week, not if our education system is good or not. Reform in our schools is important, yes. Going LONGER isn't necessarily best. My point was that it isn't certain that going 4 days as opposed to 5 is worse for education. Nice strawman though.

Last edited by dpgtfc; 03-27-2009 at 11:01 AM..

Old 03-28-2009, 12:18 AM

292 posts, read 1,447,946 times
As much as I'd love a 4 day work week, I am opposed.

It's an extra day for kids to sit at home, veg in front of tv and video games at best. At worst? Think of all the mischief a teen can get into when mom and dad are at work.

And there will be an extra lapse in learning despite the extended day. If there is any doubt about that, google the latest research on the 4x4 block schedule (fewer, longer periods a day).

It would conserve resources. But if that's the main goal of education, then we should all go virtual and eliminate the big buildings all togother. Ultimately, I do not believe the economic and environmental savings would be worth the weakening of our faltering education system.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:58 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times
Think about teachers getting paid for 4 days of work, instead of five. Gotta suck for them.

Or do they get paid for five, if they only work 4? Gotta be nice for them.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:05 AM

I'm fairly certain that teachers are salary. They get a set amount of pay, even while they are off summers. If anything, perhaps the school would be able to afford to pay teachers MORE if they have one less day of overhead every week.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:05 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post

Do you not read newspapers, magazines or watch the news? What sort of pretty, happy little world do you imagine yourself in?
You totally misunderstood what I said.

My meaning was this:

There are so many idiots and morons in this world because their parents made them so.

At least in the structure and organization of the classroom there is the potential for objective education, not just conditioning based on bias, prejudice, tradition, and superstition which is what parents usually impart to their offspring.

However, the educational system has not lived up to that potential and needs improvement.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:23 PM

Ah, my apologies then, I did totally misunderstand what you said.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:00 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret_squirrel View Post
when mom and dad are at work.
Majority of the problem is right there^ besides the school issues of course...

Old 04-21-2009, 04:07 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
The state is cutting funds in the wrong places and that's one of the places they have cut alot.
That political ad with the Govenor sitting in the classroom with all the children was complete BS.
It wasn't long after her re-election that we're hearing news of more teacher layoff's, school closure talk, and her possible repeal of a voter approved funding increase for more teachers, staff, and supplies, and freezing any pay increases until 2011.
I used to think that teachers had it easy, but after seeing my wife bust her butt nearly 12 hours a day, in an open door school school district full of felons and druggies, with about 1/2 the supplies they needed....then get layed off....when you're already making 2/3rd's the average wages for your education level.....
She's now retraining for a different profession.
I feel bad for the kids too..because they are on the bottom of the totem pole in this state.
We the voters approved it, the house is repealing it...
The Bellingham Herald / Northwest / House OKs suspension of teacher raises (http://www.bellinghamherald.com/203/story/879924.html - broken link)
I hope all the teachers strike this fall what a bunch of BS.
Such a bunch of weaselese. The repeal would be in place until 2011, but they aren't actually paying the teachers for the 2011 raise until 2014-2015 fiscal year.
If your reading this state senate and house people..you are the lowest slime there is to be found in this state!
I will be following my voting protocol come voting time=anybody in office-vote out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: