Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:02 AM

362 posts, read 1,856,826 times

Advertisements

Thanks very much for the information. I will definitely look into those areas. What can anyone tell me about Kent. I know it's Democratic, but that's okay. Any other info would be great! Also, this is going to sound a little strange, but how are bugs in western WA? Because here in St. Louis bugs are horrendous - they're everywhere and they're NASTY!

Old 06-12-2007, 10:35 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,269,853 times
As long as you aren't living near a swamp the bugs out here are pretty mild, nothing compared to the midwest.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:08 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,823 times
Seattle will be a bug free paradise compared to what you've experienced. I know I was pleasantly surprised compared to what I had encountered in Miami.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:18 PM

176 posts, read 929,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aullori View Post
Actually I didn't describe anyone that way.. (ummm but I think just you did tho) I'm not sure how you jumped from "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" into that discription. Your's sounds kind of like the old old south or something - it certianally isn't what I meant - not by a long shot.

Seattle honestly was okay, not my paradise but that's cool - it's someones. I'm not really a big city person.
I'm thinking you didn't get my humor- I was being sarcastic! -Although I have been known to wave my flag and I am a member of the NRA, ha ha!

Old 06-14-2007, 12:19 PM

5 posts, read 27,280 times
Default No no no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post
The general attitude that I'm getting is that if you're Republican, you probably won't be happy. That's a real shame that people of only one political group can live happily in a beautiful city such as Seattle. Like I said earlier, I am only too happy to look past politics, but if my neighbors can't do that, then I don't know if I can live there. Still, how do Seattle, Tacoma, and Spokane compare? I know Tacoma is a lot less liberal, an I have heard a lot of negative things about it (maybe for that very reason!), and I know that Spokane is very conservative. Any additional info on climate, people, econmy, etc. would be great!
I own a home in Tacoma, was raised in Puyallup, and also lived in Graham for a bit. All of these places are within Pierce County (between King [Seattle] & Thurston [Olympia]) and all are very different. I don't think you can stereotype big cities over here, and I definately don't think you can say that you won't be happy here because you're a Republican. I actually think that statement is rediculous unless you are a total radical.

As for Tacoma, we aren't very political. Tacoma is an artsy city where most people just want to be able to get from their car into their home without being hassled. Chances are that if you lived in Tacoma, not only would politics not be a topic of discussion with your neighbors, but you'd be fortunate if your neighbors paid you any attention at all. We have high-end neighborhoods with million dollar homes and we have the gang-infested ghetto where you should only park your car if you want it to get stolen. Tacoma has been cleaning up the low-end neighborhoods for the past few years and continues to work on this. Housing is much more affordable than in King county, but a bit more expensive than Thurston county.

I don't know what your definition of affordable is, but if it is similar to mine, I would not even consider moving to King county. You can compare Seattle to Portland and say that Seattle houses are more costly, but you'll be paying personal income tax in Oregon and that will make it more expensive to live there (even without sales tax). If you want to live around obvious Republicans, it's going to cost you a heck of a lot because thoses ones live in the most expensive places. If you want to live around "boot-wearing, gun-toting" Republicans, move to a farm/rural town.

If you want inexpensive living, south of Olympia, north of Everett, and all areas closer to the ocean are your best bet. Good luck to you!

Old 06-14-2007, 06:13 PM

37 posts, read 122,829 times
We live in Mill Creek (north of Seattle South of Everett) and are card carrying Republicans. Mill Creek is predominantly democrats, but we've never felt any kind of hostility whatsoever.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:03 PM

5 posts, read 19,072 times
Default You're Great...

Also being a strong Republican, I really know what you mean about questioning whether the city proper of Seattle has ANY Republicans. If so, there has never been an endangered species so rare before in history. Seattle is run by far lefties. The last time Seattle had a Republican mayor was in 1880. Yet, the liberals use the word "diversity" like they get $100 each time they use it. They can't say it enough. Too bad that "diversity" does not extend to "diversity of opinion." If you don't agree with them, you are immediately labeled. Suddenly, there is no room for "diversity." So, as long as you AGREE WITH THEM, you're okay. But, if you have a different opinion, you're "intolerant" or a "racist." The hypocrisy and intolerance of diversity of opinion would be hilarious, if it wasn't so sad and full of total hypocrisy. And, all this from the Democrats who show just how much "diversity" they truly believe in with their "it's my way or the highway" rhetoric. So, their real message is, “As long as agree with me, I believe in diversity.” It would be funny if it weren’t so very sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racechick73 View Post
Being a strong Republican, I don't feel like I "have to have everyone around me agree without descent". I just desire to be around people who have the same morals and values as me. I can get along with just about anyone- I might not agree with them but if they are willing to hear my opinion, I can be friends with them.
Some of us just choose to be around other like-minded people, instead of being the minority. It makes life more enjoyable, in my opinion.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:28 PM

176 posts, read 929,845 times
krisvashon-

YOU ROCK!

I just read your post out loud to my husband, who's response was "Well said, and SO true!"

You hit the nail on the head with that. They are also the ones telling us Right-Leaners to be more "open minded". In my experience "open minded" to them means changing our opinions to match theirs. If being "open minded" means being so quick to change my views, they can take their open-mindedness and shove it.

In the words of Merle Haggard and Gretchen Wilson, I'm "politically un-correct", and proud of it!

Old 06-15-2007, 01:50 AM

642 posts, read 3,073,602 times
The last two posts hit the nail on the head. Although in the 'burbs I believe people are a bit less vocal regarding their 'judgments' ala the Mill Creek post, the Seattle area is absolutely representative of the last two posts in my experience as well and for half the time I lived in Seattle one would coin me not just a liberal, but a very radical one at that. The last two groups mentioned (liberal and radical liberal) are horrendously hateful and conniving behind closed doors besides the obvious in your face and in the city's policies. I have since become (and for many years now) not only a fiscal conservative, but a solid social conservative in all areas.

I feel more comfortable in Los Angeles as a conservative then I ever did in Seattle. There are some hard core conservatives in Seattle. They are just outnumbered. Outlying areas I have found more conservatives.

Great summary about the hypocrisy and the myth of diversity. It is just semantics for them that really means 'when you agree with me'. I wonder what the diversity police are going to start saying when the heavy Latino population comes up there in greater numbers and imports their gangs and the black/latino turf wars start up. Latino gang members hate blacks. Seattle's diversity police are going to have their panties in a bundle and be all a jumbled.

The community colleges are really not at all diverse in their education either. It is all 1960's social engineering agenda driven. Which is too bad, because most of these individuals going there are the least empowered from limited circumstance and instead of giving them a good education in areas where they could go on to make good money and thrive, they are fed all this political dribble instead of math, science, valid tangible skills and how to really think and debate. All of which could really set these kids and adults up for better things in life that aren't about slacking and protesting for a living against those that are thriving.

When I think of moving back to Seattle, I just don't want to have to put up with all of that in your face ridiculous close minded, 'you are evil because you are conservative' reality 24/7. To me it is like going to one big Grateful Dead concert all the time. No!

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 06-15-2007 at 02:17 AM..

Old 06-17-2007, 01:28 AM

4 posts, read 9,107 times
Default Oh, for the love of...

All these complaints about liberals, and yet who are the ones here hurling all the accusations and invective, perpetuating myth and stereotypes, assigning blame simply for having differing ideas and generally acting like nobody else even has any right to their own opinion? To wit:

"So, as long as you AGREE WITH THEM, you're okay. But, if you have a different opinion, you're "intolerant" or a "racist." And, all this from the Democrats who show just how much "diversity" they truly believe in with their "it's my way or the highway" rhetoric. So, their real message is, “As long as agree with me, I believe in diversity.”
-krisvashon

Having a different opinion doesn't make you intolerant or racist. Being intolerant and racist does. And you can't look at the conservative political "leadership" of the past six years and make your "my way or the highway" case against liberals. They're not the ones trying to silence dissent. It's ironic to me that whenever I hear one of these diatribes so full of accusations from conservatives, it always turns out that they're far more characteristic of the person making them than of those against whom they are made. For example:

"I might not agree with them but if they are willing to hear my opinion, I can be friends with them. Some of us just choose to be around other like-minded people...It makes life more enjoyable, in my opinion. In my experience "open minded" to them means changing our opinions to match theirs. If being "open minded" means being so quick to change my views, they can take their open-mindedness and shove it."
-racechick73

So, listening to your opinions is a requirement of your friendship, but it sounds like you're not inclined to extend the same courtesy if you equate simply listening others' to a demand that you change yours, which you're apparently unwilling to examine or even have challenged. Neither this nor choosing to be around like-minded people to make "life more enjoyable" sounds very open-minded, but you're probably better off doing just that. Your final comment is not only aggressively closed-minded, but downright hostile.

And conservatives say liberals are angry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington