Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:21 AM

275 posts, read 836,169 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My family and I are really excited that we will be visiting Seattle this week! We are also planning on going to Vancouver, BC during that trip. We're trying to figure out how to get there. I know there are good prices on trains and buses, but we thought driving there and having a car might be more economical.

My question is:
What's the drive like from Seattle to Vancouver in terms of the actual areas that we'd be driving through? I'm not sure if I have the guts to drive along mountain paths that are just feet from plunging heights (that's our main concern!).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 11:39 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Seattle to Vancouver, BC? ...plunging off mountain paths???!!

No, No, it's all Interstate highway ...no narrow mountain paths involved. No traffic signals at all, freeway all the way. The only place you'll have to stop (unless you want to) is at the border crossing. Once you cross the border, it's still freeway into Vancouver.

Unless of course you want to go the senic route through Chuckanut Drive which is sometimes narrow and windy but nowhere will you be in great danger of plunging off anything unless you're an extremely poor driver.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:35 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
I've done it many times. It is a beautiful and pleasant drive. A lot of times there are long lines of cars at the border. So do expect that especially during peak hours.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:41 AM

561 posts, read 1,179,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
... It is a beautiful and pleasant drive. A lot of times there are long lines of cars at the border. So do expect that especially during peak hours.
Yeah, during peak hours (8am-8pm or so) expect a long wait at the border. To avoid this I would plan on visiting a few places in between before you get close to the border. Bellingham is a beautiful mid-sized city about halfway between Seattle and Vancouver. Also, the North Cascades (east of Bellingham) are gorgeous and the roads will be fine as long as you aren't going in the middle of winter.

It's a really nice train ride between Seattle and Vancouver - part of it goes right along the water. Vancouver also has excellent public transit, so getting around the city without a car is easy. However, if you plan on doing anything outside the city of Vancouver I'd take a car. There are some nice rural/natural areas northeast of the city.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:50 PM

275 posts, read 836,169 times
thanks for all the info!!! i appreciate it!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 48,850 times
Hi i am not an US citizen and have L1 Visa, Can someone tell me how to get the visa for vancouer in Seattle?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:24 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
You can discuss your needs with the staff of the Consulate General of Canada, at 1501 4th Avenue Suite 600, Seattle, WA 98101. Phone (206) 443-1372.
If you are required to have a visa to enter Canada, you can apply for it there at the Consulate and they can issue it to you.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:41 AM

1 posts, read 45,278 times
how long is the trip from vancouver to seattle by car considering an additional hour at the border? thanks

Old 12-11-2009, 09:08 AM

576 posts, read 2,259,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Novenario View Post
how long is the trip from vancouver to seattle by car considering an additional hour at the border? thanks
In non-peak traffic hours the drive from Seattle to Vancouver is about 3 hours (not counting the border crossing). So, I'd say the reverse trip would be about the same!

An hour at the (Blaine) border crossing would be average- sometimes it's faster (I've zipped through in about 10 minutes in the late PM hours before), sometimes it's (a lot) slower. It of course all depends upon how many cars are in line ahead of you crossing over from Canada and whether or not the US Customs person is having a bad day...

The problem during the work week will also be traffic slowing and bottlenecks through the metropolitan areas as you drive south- Bellingham, Mt. Vernon and particularly Everett. This could add another 1/2 hour to the trip.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,277,851 times
I live in Bellingham. So here's the options.

Train. The train ride from Seattle to Vancouver is nothing short of spectacular for the most part. With the exception of a short inland portion in Skagit County, the majority of the route is right on the shoreline of Puget Sound. Don't underestimate how gorgeous that is. Even on a rainy day, although when it's sunny, it's ethereal.

There are 2 ways to get there by car.

Quickest and easiet. Interstate 5. Straight shot. Watch out for radar traps from just north of Everett to where the speed limit changes from 60 to 70 just past Smokey Point. Then again when the speed limit changes back to 60 as you enter Mount Vernon. The speed limit changes back to 60 about 10 minutes south of Bellingham. DO NOT SPEED there. They live there. I drive it every day. Once you get into Bellingham, and from there to the border you should be ok. But if you keep it to less than 5 over, they won't bother you. (I'm on this part of the highway every day)

Now here's the thing. Once you leave Seattle until you get to about 15 miles from Bellingham, it's a fairly boring drive.

The other route, which actually only takes about 10 minutes longer (unless you stop to take pictures, and believe me, you will) is Chuckanut Drive. It's an old two lane highway that runs from Interstate 5 just north of Mt. Vernon (60 miles from Seattle) across the flats of Skagit Valley for a while and then the moment you get to Puget Sound, it rises above the water along the cliffs. The vistas are incredible. Looking out over The Sound and the San Juan Islands. It twists and turns like a snake in spots, so it's wise to pull over at the numerous view stops rather than try to watch the scenery and stay on the road lol.

The road is very safe, but prone to mud and rock slides occasionally. In fact, it is set to reopen in the next day or so from a rock slide last week.

Chuckanut Drive has three very good places to eat. First, in the valley is the Rhododendron. A local hot spot. Fabulous regional and seasonal foods. Moderately priced

Then just after you get to the Water, is Chuckanut Manor. Excellent Seafood and regional cuisine. Moderate to pricey.. Then not all that much further is the Oyster Bar, If price is no object, go there. It's fantastic, but it's quite expensive. Although the views from the place are million dollar views indeed.

Chuckanut will drop you into the cute village of Fairhaven (Part of Bellingham)
It's a wonderful little part of town teeming with shops and restaurants all eager to please. Or you can simply follow the signs back to Interstate 5, a mere mile or so to the east.

A few border notes. Typically mornings are the easiest and shortest wait times. 10 to 20 minutes max at 8 or 9am. After that towards the middle of the day, maybe 30. As you get to mid afternoon, especially on a weekend, you'll be waiting an hour often times or more. And if you return from BC on Sunday afternoon (Stay in the right lane coming back by the way) you'll be there at least 90 minutes..

So check on bellinghamherald,com for closure info or the Washington State DOT

Here's a link

WSDOT - Travel Alerts

A side note. If you want to see something truly spectacular along the way, I would HIGHLY recommend you go to Deception Pass. It's a bridge (and a really nice state park adjacent to same) that connects Fidalgo Island and Whidbey Island. You can drive across it of course, but the real treat is walking across it. If you're like me, you'll get the hee bee gee bees for sure, but it is an experience you will not forget. And it's free. It's a 25 minute drive (18 miles or so from Interstate 5)

And on the return, you can take a short cut to Chuckanut Drive as well. If you want further directions, just PM me.

Have a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington