Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 12:52 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I would switch the labels on hot so it would be difficult to sleep in an unisulated building without covers and fan and /or A/C. I would list more in being able to sleep with covers, instead of being able to sleep without covers. For example, in a warm to hot climate it would hard to with covers, but with cooler summers you could sleep with covers but not have to. And for cold summers you need covers.
Hmmm. 78-82 F lows would approach that,
though I would put the lows at 84+ F/29+ C for difficulty sleeping.

Cool summer sleep without covers?
I need covers if it's below 75 F/24 C inside, gauranteed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 01:06 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Using that,
my preferences would look even sillier.
I would still like them though.

Prefered room temp 26-28 C / 78-82 F,
and most people would consider that for lows as brutal with any humidity.
(maybe awkward for me sometimes )
Yeah, I was probably thinking it would work well for the majority of people who liked low 20s C. If you set your room temp at 21C, then it would certainly match some of the typical definitions people give (like Toronto's mean in July would be warm, and Washington D.C's would be hot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I try to be objective with such definitions and am thus guided by long-standing climate classification schemes. Subjectively, I use the terms 'hot', 'warm', etc. in an absolute sense (describing degrees of thermal comfort) rather than a relative sense (describing the degree of summer heat relative to the rest of the world).
Quote:
Yeah I tend to find scientific descriptions a bit silly.
I made my defnitions based on personal experience too.
Quote:
I would count < 10 C means as "no summer at all."
Polar regions don't get summer.
Means below 10 C most plants can't even grow.
But weren't many of the "scientific" climate classification schemes (like Koppen's) originally based on trying to match boundaries based on limits of natural vegetation types/groups that grow in those zones? In a sense, they are lines drawn in the sand too, because they're chosen based on a particular criteria mapped out globally.

In that case, they might not match out well for human beings' own preferences and intuitions. (For instance, I have a hard time understanding why NYC is at the northern boundary limit of humid subtropical, intuitively )

Old 12-26-2010, 03:03 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,069,702 times
Quote:
If you need long sleeves, layers or a jacket at solar-noon for warmth in summer, it's cold.
It's all relative though. I suspect you would consider Scottish summer temps warm if they occured in Toronto during winter (not that that would ever happen).

Old 12-26-2010, 03:45 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
It's all relative though. I suspect you would consider Scottish summer temps warm if they occured in Toronto during winter (not that that would ever happen).
Well, to be fair, it's not that impossible.
Once in a while, a few warm spells happen where it can be around even low 10s C for a short few days, while snow melts. I've occasionally seen people in flip-flops when these days happen, though it can be overcast and drizzly those days, while the accumulated snow turns to slush.

According to Environment Canada, our winter record maxes have been in the mid-to high teens Celsius. It looks like, although for the period 1970-2000, the max for Jan was 16.7 C in 1950, and 20 C in Dec and 14.9 C in Feb during the 1980s, we've come close to and broken those records in the past decade (I recall warm stretches in at least 3 years, perhaps at least 2002, 2006, 2008).

Old 12-26-2010, 04:35 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,932 times
Quote:
Hmmm. 78-82 F lows would approach that,
though I would put the lows at 84+ F/29+ C for difficulty sleeping.

Cool summer sleep without covers?
I need covers if it's below 75 F/24 C inside, gauranteed.
I have found 23-24C minimums not to be sleeping weather, in fact even over 21C can classify, often because the minimum is not reached until the early hours of the morning or just before sunrise - so you are stuck with mid-20's for much of the night.
This type of weather is ceiling fans on all night, in fact anywhere from about Coffs Harbour north has mandatory ceiling fans in new houses.
On the original topic, a cool summer is somewhere like Albany, WA:
Albany climate, averages and extreme weather records
I spent a summer in nearby Esperance (1996), and this was similar.
Often the mean is skewed by the occasional hot day/s, which can be spectacularly above the average, so median temperature would be a more accurate description of what you can normally expect.
When you get days on end of around 21C max or less, with cool maritime winds and cloud or drizzle, the summer quickly becomes a non-event -and not a summer.
A warm summer is somewhere like Adelaide (with occasional very hot spells), a hot summer is Perth and Brisbane, with Brisbane considerably more uncomfortable due to higher sun strength and humidity. Sydney is mild-warm.

Last edited by Derek40; 12-26-2010 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: add

Old 12-26-2010, 07:31 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Not sure about daily means but daily highs I would say:
>85F Hot
74F-84F Warm
64-73F Cool
<63F Cold
I think I could agree with this for highs. I'm hesitant to call daytime temperatures in the upper 50s to low 60s "cold", but during the summer it would probably feel cold (not simply cool). I recall having days this past summer in the low to mid 60s and I'd have that "cold feet" feeling.

A humid 77 F in blazing sunshine could feel hot though.

Nights above, say 66 F, are usually too mild for me to sleep comfortably. I could tough it out with the window cracked open and ceiling fan on, but quality of sleep wouldn't be great. Even when it does fall into the upper 60s during the summer, it usually doesn't happen until well after a normal bed time. And by the time I wake up, it's usually much hotter outside and inside.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:29 PM

102 posts, read 146,559 times
In terms of average daily highs...

hot = 30C/86F +
warm = 25-30C / 77-86F
cool = 20-25C / 68-77F
cold below 20C / 68F

Old 12-26-2010, 11:24 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
I have found 23-24C minimums not to be sleeping weather, in fact even over 21C can classify, often because the minimum is not reached until the early hours of the morning or just before sunrise - so you are stuck with mid-20's for much of the night.This type of weather is ceiling fans on all night, in fact anywhere from about Coffs Harbour north has mandatory ceiling fans in new houses.
On the original topic, a cool summer is somewhere like Albany, WA:
Albany climate, averages and extreme weather records
I spent a summer in nearby Esperance (1996), and this was similar.
Often the mean is skewed by the occasional hot day/s, which can be spectacularly above the average, so median temperature would be a more accurate description of what you can normally expect.
When you get days on end of around 21C max or less, with cool maritime winds and cloud or drizzle, the summer quickly becomes a non-event -and not a summer.
A warm summer is somewhere like Adelaide (with occasional very hot spells), a hot summer is Perth and Brisbane, with Brisbane considerably more uncomfortable due to higher sun strength and humidity. Sydney is mild-warm.
In summer I sleep in a room that's 26-28 C and I seldom use a fan in that temp range.
I love it when it isn't below 24 C outdoors as I go to sleep.
If it's 23 C or less outdoors at bedtime I'll usually keep my window shut tight.
(I want the fresh air, just not the cooling; I'm afraid of the night air cooling further)

Old 12-27-2010, 05:46 AM

497 posts, read 1,088,240 times
I guess sunshine and humidity are important as well. It was 25C here today, so borderline cool/warm by my own standards using temps alone, but an RH of 70% and UV of 13 made it feel hot to me. Large variations from the average could make it hard to pin down what type of summer one has. For me , I would rather have the lower variation in temps we have here than the larger variation
Christchurch has, even though Chch gets some awesome summer weather. The weather was interesting here today, a strong wind (about midday) off the sea rose temperatures and humidity rapidly, with heavy rain out to sea while we stayed dry. It started raining here about dark, with 100mm forecast overnight.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:20 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,343 times
Summer should be hot. Winter should be cold. Essentially the same temperature throughout the year, it is not good for the body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather