Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
A 17 19.10%
B 19 21.35%
C 8 8.99%
D 8 8.99%
E 4 4.49%
F 33 37.08%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 06:49 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
When Perth was settled by Europeans in 1829 the climate was seen as favourable, however settlers pretty soon realised the soil was sandy and poor for agriculture and had no knowledge in farming such areas, many gave up on the colony and moved east to the point that what was a free colony then started importing convict labour to try and prop up the colony. Perth only really grew as a result of the discovery of gold and the resulting boom the population increasing from 10,000 in 1881 to 67,000 by 1901. That led to a critical mass of people who could discover and exploit more arable areas around Perth and its hinterland. People learnt how to farm the land and agriculture has been an important contributor to the local economy ever since however the mining industry has always been the driver of growth in Western Australia's history to date.

As for the climate I would give Perth a B, generally quite comfortable but summers are a bit too long, hot and dry. Places further to the south of Perth such as Margaret River or Pemberton have a milder, wetter climate that is preferable and score an A from me https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margar...hy_and_climate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pember...tralia#Climate
It's pretty impressive that a place just 335 km (208 mi) south of Perth is like 800 hours less sunnier at 2,300 hours. Even places on the southern NSW coast that are 330km away are no more than 100 hours less sunnier than us in Sydney (or they'd probably have the same annual sunshine hours).

About Perth's discovery, I just find it odd that the Europeans first discovered, and settled on, the east coast (the other side of the continent) when they actually sailed from the west and would have passed arable places like Albany and Pemberton in southwest. So why (and how) miss them and go further east?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 11:19 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
It's pretty impressive that a place just 335 km (208 mi) south of Perth is like 800 hours less sunnier at 2,300 hours. Even places on the southern NSW coast that are 330km away are no more than 100 hours less sunnier than us in Sydney (or they'd probably have the same annual sunshine hours).

About Perth's discovery, I just find it odd that the Europeans first discovered, and settled on, the east coast (the other side of the continent) when they actually sailed from the west and would have passed arable places like Albany and Pemberton in southwest. So why (and how) miss them and go further east?
I think from what I recall, the Dutch were the first Europeans to discover Australia and they sailed over the northern part of Western Australia around Port Hedland and Broome and they just saw barren land. The British came later but they sailed from the west after going from Hawaii to New Zealand and then Australia and landed in Sydney Harbour after sailing down the east coast as it provided the best natural Harbour. So in both cases, they didn't go anywhere near Perth and wouldn't have known how fertile it is.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think from what I recall, the Dutch were the first Europeans to discover Australia and they sailed over the northern part of Western Australia around Port Hedland and Broome and they just saw barren land. The British came later but they sailed from the west after going from Hawaii to New Zealand and then Australia and landed in Sydney Harbour after sailing down the east coast as it provided the best natural Harbour. So in both cases, they didn't go anywhere near Perth and wouldn't have known how fertile it is.
Aha! This was hidden in the archives of my memory. Of course, they sailed from the Pacific and that's how they get to the east coast first because they were originally sailing from Hawaii and the surrounds and, to them, the west coast was pigeonholed as barren wasteland (and they didn't bother with it).

Such dumb luck anyway. Because the southwest coast is just as arable and (arguably) more habitable than the east coast, which is bombarded by fires, storms and floods.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:33 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times
Quote:
Aha! This was hidden in the archives of my memory. Of course, they sailed from the Pacific and that's how they get to the east coast first because they were originally sailing from Hawaii and the surrounds and, to them, the west coast was pigeonholed as barren wasteland (and they didn't bother with it).

Such dumb luck anyway. Because the southwest coast is just as arable and (arguably) more habitable than the east coast, which is bombarded by fires, storms and floods.
I always thought Sydney had a pretty decent climate.. not as good as Perth but still quite good. I have been watching a lot of street walks in Sydney on YouTube lately because I love the city and it looks like it's sunny or partly cloudy there most of the time. I don't get the sense you get many days of rain in a row like you have here in Vancouver.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I always thought Sydney had a pretty decent climate.. not as good as Perth but still quite good. I have been watching a lot of street walks in Sydney on YouTube lately because I love the city and it looks like it's sunny or partly cloudy there most of the time. I don't get the sense you get many days of rain in a row like you have here in Vancouver.
We don't, most of the time. But when it rains, it can stay on for several days where we will get floods. Cloudier days are common between January and March. Rest of the year is pretty fine, but you can get flooding rains any time of the year (maybe besides August/Sep).

Old 04-17-2021, 10:49 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,586,474 times
Quote:

Yeah it is quite impressive, the south coast of WA is known as the "Rainbow Coast" because even in the summer months light coastal showers are pretty common and the air is still pretty moist, the south easterlies often prevail and lead to cloudy, humid days in the south that are sunny, dry days in less exposed Perth.

It is interesting to consider why the British decided on the east coast first seeing it was that much further away. My guess is they saw that the Dutch and French had (relatively) extensively explored the west coast and felt that they had a more solid claim on the east through the Captain Cook "discovered" east coast.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:47 AM

2,930 posts, read 1,307,494 times
We have been living in Perth for the last 6 months, we relocated here permanently from NZ. The climate here is one of the biggest reasons we love this place, climate dictates your lifestyle and we love the outdoor family lifestyle Perth offers. Some have tried to compare Perth's climate to Spain however nowhere in Europe, not even Seville it's sunniest city I believe touches Perth's annual sunshine hours. In terms of the US the only City that would resemble Perth is Los Angeles which apart from the amount of rainfall is quite similar.

One thing i notice however is that this thread is 10 years old and while many of the posts from a few years ago were talking about a decline in winter rainfall I can now tell you this winter alone has made up for it. Apparently this winter has been the wettest in decades which i was so glad to hear since pretty much everyday in the last 5 weeks has been raining. I'm glad this isn't normal lol. Living in Christchurch the winters were much drier as it's rain was spread more evenly over the months but it just can't match the sunshine and warmth of Perth.

As for the heat, Perth is only humid at night and first thing in the morning, this I feel even if temperatures are merely in the mid 20s are most uncomfortable, as temperatures rise throughout the day it becomes drier and you might get a bit of a breeze to make it even more tolerable. Truly a climate for those seeking a lifestyle where it's comfortable sunshine for most of the year

Last edited by Paddy234; 07-18-2021 at 08:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather