Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:20 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post

1). There are humans on this planet who actually get very angry when their location doesn’t get very cold/snowy winter weather: I mean you’ll find some folks who might like a few flurries and some frosty mornings a handful of time’s each winter...but there are more people than I thought there would be who “like” very cold/very snow winter weather. Considering how little natural protection humans have for cold climates - that humans would seek out such locations or conditions leaves me nothing less than stunned. This shows that “good weather” is truly in the eye of the beholder (lol).
I don't think anyone here gets "very angry" about not getting cold winter. Most cold weather people currently live in cold climates and therefore, tend to prefer winters that are similar to what they have. Same thing can be said for heat lovers who get very angry when they see temperature drop below 60s. Humans don't have any natural protection from hot climates either, that's why we invented the fans, A/C, sunscreen, and sunglasses... don't get me started on sunscreen and sunglasses LOL, I can talk all day about it.

Last edited by Kaul; 06-21-2011 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 01:22 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
talk about sunscreen!

whats wrong with it?

Old 06-21-2011, 01:31 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
talk about sunscreen!

whats wrong with it?
you get skin cancer at old age if you don't use sunscreen in hot climates, which is something most people don't realize or care for until they get diagnosed. Also, the sun rays can damage your eyesight and leads to age-related macular degeneration, that is why you wear sunglasses.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:53 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
you get skin cancer at old age if you don't use sunscreen in hot climates, which is something most people don't realize or care for until they get diagnosed. Also, the sun rays can damage your eyesight and leads to age-related macular degeneration, that is why you wear sunglasses.
Unfortunately (for here) it isn't just hot climates that have this problem.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:55 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
What does a hot climate have to do with sunscreen? You could go sun tan on the snow covered top of Mauna Kea in Hawaii and still get a sunburn. High UV does not correlate to hot weather. The desert southwest is much hotter then Hawaii in the summer, yet the UV in Hawaii is much stronger due to latitude, not temperature.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:44 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,962,141 times
That some people consider Houston to be "sub-arctic".....

That some people think 75F is cold.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Before knowing this forum I already knew that western Europe had poor sunshine but thought that USA were normal in this domain. Now I realized that the USA on the sunny side compared to most of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Here in North America, is there really such a thing as a "normal" winter? It seems that "normal" means that every year Charleston will get very cold given its location at lat 32 or so, and that snow flurries will be seen across the south every winter. Normal for North America means wild swings in winter temperatures where Fairbanks, AK is sometimes warmer than Atlanta. I've heard it over and over from meteo's that there really only are "averages" in our winter weather, and we rarely ever hit average. The cold waves and the mild weather in winter give us the averages we have, but it seems that we are either five to ten degrees or so below for a few weeks, then swings to above, over and over all winter, based on what the jet stream is doing. I think the jet stream takes more extreme dips over N. America than anywhere on earth.
You can get these swings in other continents. I think Eastern Asia is a better match because of its continental climate I know Europe better. Sometimes places in Finland are warmer than places in Spain (I remember at least last July).
I looked at the month that gave Scandinavia one of its coldest winter spells (January 1999). In this place January 21st was 19/22°F whereas January 27th was -59/-48°F and the month averages near its long-term normals (around -5/15°F).

Old 06-21-2011, 04:56 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,764 times
How close minded and unaccepting people are to other people's weather preferences. I don't like cold weather, 50*F to me is very cold, and Houston has subarctic winters (I live there); no need for you to roll your eye's at me and constantly argue that your preferences are better then mine (or anybody else's) because most people agree with you. I don't care about what you think, it's MY OPINION.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:04 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I don't think my preferences are better than yours by any means! There are times in winter I probably would love to be in Houston.

What people are saying is the extreme over exageration to make your point, sure 50 is cold to some people but not brutally cold or subarctic. Houston does not have severe winters, last year was a very extreme exception for Texas. Looking at Houston's average temperatures, they aren't bad at all.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:09 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,962,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
How close minded and unaccepting people are to other people's weather preferences. I don't like cold weather, 50*F to me is very cold, and Houston has subarctic winters (I live there); no need for you to roll your eye's at me and constantly argue that your preferences are better then mine (or anybody else's) because most people agree with you. I don't care about what you think, it's MY OPINION.
When Houston gets 6+ months of snow cover, and temps down to -55F every winter, then come talk to me. Until then, you calling Houston sub-arctic is just as ridiculous as me calling Fairbanks sub-tropical.

Houston has 7 months with an average high above 80F (April-October) and the Jan average high is like 62F, you poor souls must be freezing to death in your subarctic climate.

And I am not saying my preferences are better than yours. But I think even ColdCanadian would agree that calling Houston sub-arctic is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather