Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 11:56 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,148 times

Advertisements

- How sunny the USA is as a whole. Seattle is notoriously cloudy with about 2200 sunshine hours -- more than my city and about 700 hours more than London!

- How warm central London is relative to latitude. In terms of annual averages central London is nearly as warm as Auckland despite being 14 degrees further from the equator.

- How hot and humid southern Canada and the northern US can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I wonder if this is really true though. I mean, I've heard that most places in Florida have deciduous trees that lose their leaves for the "cooler season" but I would hardly say that Florida has a "real winter".
In tropical climates this often happens as a result of low rainfall rather than temperatures.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:35 AM

914 posts, read 2,105,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I wonder if this is really true though. I mean, I've heard that most places in Florida have deciduous trees that lose their leaves for the "cooler season" but I would hardly say that Florida has a "real winter".
- Yes Northern Florida does get freezing temps and frosts during the cooler months. There are places in Florida that get colder than Vancouver, where you live right now in the winter.
The term "real" winter is relative. People in the subtropics, i.e. Hong Kong, would say that Dallas has a real winter (2.5 months of low freezing temps, guaranteed snow, etc..). Those from the Upper Midwest, however, would disagree with this and say that winter has to have 2 months of highs below freezing. Now, a Siberian will put this argument to rest and declare that a true winter means 5 months of high temps below -40.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Now, a Siberian will put this argument to rest and declare that a true winter means 5 months of high temps below -40.
Where in Siberia has five months with mean highs below -40? Oymyakon only has two such months.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:21 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
- How sunny the USA is as a whole. Seattle is notoriously cloudy with about 2200 sunshine hours -- more than my city and about 700 hours more than London!

- How warm central London is relative to latitude. In terms of annual averages central London is nearly as warm as Auckland despite being 14 degrees further from the equator.

Isn't that mostly the effect of an urban heat island, and not really releated to nature, geography, or weather patterns? B1987 posted the other day that the urban area reached 90 or 91 while Heathrow was 85.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:38 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,659,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Isn't that mostly the effect of an urban heat island, and not really releated to nature, geography, or weather patterns? B1987 posted the other day that the urban area reached 90 or 91 while Heathrow was 85.
The heat island certainly helps but its inland southern location relatively far from the Atlantic and close to where the English Channel is at its narrowest, plus the fact that it is sheltered from southerly winds by a range of small hills all mean I reckon it (the London area in general) would still be the warmest place in the country in summer even if there was no city there.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:46 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
The heat island certainly helps but its inland southern location relatively far from the Atlantic and close to where the English Channel is at its narrowest, plus the fact that it is sheltered from southerly winds by a range of small hills all mean I reckon it (the London area in general) would still be the warmest place in the country in summer even if there was no city there.
That makes sense. I remember a pretty severe heatwave in England a few years back, and I seem to recall a place, maybe Kent, reach 100F or more. Would that area be the warmest part of England, or more accurately, the warmest part of the SE of England?

Old 06-29-2011, 07:53 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,659,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
That makes sense. I remember a pretty severe heatwave in England a few years back, and I seem to recall a place, maybe Kent, reach 100F or more. Would that area be the warmest part of England, or more accurately, the warmest part of the SE of England?
Kent is nearest to the continent so normally keeps the continental air for longest. The place which actually got the 91 the other day is a town called Gravesend which often gets the highest temperatures - it got 100.6 the day you're talking about, the highest ever figure in the UK which is not in dispute. I don't know that much about its topography but there must be some reason for it to be a bit warmer - I just checked Wiki and that doesn't seem to be sure either!
Gravesend, Kent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-29-2011, 11:59 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post

While it is warm for it's latitude, I wouldn't say it is nearly as warm as Auckland. There is still about 4-5C/8-10F difference between their annual temps. Auckland is about 2-3C/4-6F cooler than comparable places in Europe

Old 06-29-2011, 02:54 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,603,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
While it is warm for it's latitude, I wouldn't say it is nearly as warm as Auckland. There is still about 4-5C/8-10F difference between their annual temps. Auckland is about 2-3C/4-6F cooler than comparable places in Europe
London, Greenwich has a mean annual temperature of 11.0C (1971-2000). Auckland's is 15.9C (same period). Not even close!!!

The 2200 figure for Seattle is probbaly a bit overstated (43% city, 47% Seatlle-Tacoma airport).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather