Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 09:33 AM

98 posts, read 136,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
What he said then deleted about London is rubbish - today is the first day of the week when it hasn't exceeded 27C!
I didnt delete nothing mate.... must've been the mod bugs. sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Yeah, London's actually reached 30-32 degrees on a few days already this year. It first reached 27 degrees on April 23rd. That's more impressive when we consider that the avg max. of London in April 13°C and Mildura has a great big desert land just to the north of it, whereas the UK is surrounded by freezing sea in all directions.
Good to hear you're getting some warmth.
but....l late April is well into spring, so 27C every now and then, even in London, shouldn't be a surprise. By then, the Meditteranian (how ever the hell you spell that) will well and truly have warmed up and any air sourced from there will allow temps to rise. In our equivalent month of October I've seen temps of 40C here. Sorry mate, but consequtive days in the mid 80's F in mid winter, and 40C in October (or your April) even for here is pretty bloody impressive. Our temp last night didn't fall below 20C until 4:30am.... not many, if any at all, temperate climates at 34° latitude in the northern hemisphere (or even virtually anywhere in Australia, or South America) can claim they've had such high overnight temps in the middle of winter.

Oh yes, and Wilson Promontory, a peninsula at 39°S latitude, the southermost point on mainland Australia, recorded 23C at 4am yesterday morning. Try getting that in North America or Europe at the equivalent latitude in early February.

Last edited by Desertstorm; 08-04-2011 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 03:42 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,148 times
So Australia has a better climate than Europe / N. America because you got higher overnight lows during an exceptional winter warm spell? You're turning into an Aussie version of Wavehunter007.

In any case, the warmth appears to have been short-lived as SE Aus is back to its usual regime of highs in the mid teens and single digit lows. Yes, before you say anything, I know where I live is much worse.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:52 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,422,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertstorm View Post

Oh yes, and Wilson Promontory, a peninsula at 39°S latitude, the southermost point on mainland Australia, recorded 23C at 4am yesterday morning. Try getting that in North America or Europe at the equivalent latitude in early February.
This "Wilson Promontory" may have had a nice warm night for winter but I bet your bottom dollar its summers are sucky and cool compared with 39° and much further north in Europe & the USA. I'd rather have the cooler winter of Washington DC and its hot humid summers than that.

Why not have some data:

A summer month in Wilson's Promontory (39°S)

Wilsons Promontory, Vic - January 2011 - Daily Weather Observations (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201101/html/IDCJDW3085.201101.shtml - broken link)

A summer month in Corfu Greece (39°N)

CLIMATE Kerkyra Airport - Historical August 2010 - Weather

I love the way Coefu's average low was about the same as Wilsons etc... average high

As for North America, well its main continental landmass is mostly in the mid-latitudes (N of 30°) and extends all the way up to the subarctic zones and is much bigger than Australia so no wonder it won't get winter night time temps of any real magnitude at 39°.

Europe generally does better, especially the mediterranean climates as cited above. I'd have thought those around Greece would do best. I know recently somewhere in Cyprus reached 30°C (or 32 possibly) on 1st January 2009 or 2010. This is at 35° latitude I believe.

Some parts of western Europe are especially mild latitude-wise. For example Albi, SW France. Regularly gets up to 20°C in February, and sometimes in the low/mid-20's, this is at 43°N. SW France is possibly the furthest-from the equator example of a subtropical climate (according to some definitions). It really is very warm for its latitude. Probably gets some foehn effect from the Pyrenees to the SW, added to the already very mild SW gulfstream airmass. . Biarritz (SW France also) has had overnight lows ~20°C in December.
Wish I lived there.

Given its geography, I'm not surprised about SE Australia's winter warm spell giving this mildness. The Southern Hemisphere has a far larger area of ocean to land ratio and therefore little seasonal temperature variation in most of its climates compared to the Northern Hemisphere.
Winters aren't that cold and summers are not hot around the coastal parts of Australia, save for the odd heatwave. Sydney and Brisbane are much cooler than equivalent latitude east coast USA climates in the summer.

Australia is located between 11° and 38°S.. in the subtropical regions, the interior gets such ample solar radiation year round that it remains warm/hot much of the time, the cooler climate locations around the coast can obviously tap into this heat given the right synoptics and get these warm spells like you are enjoying at the moment.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 08-04-2011 at 04:16 PM..

Old 08-04-2011, 03:58 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,659,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertstorm View Post

Good to hear you're getting some warmth.
but....l late April is well into spring, so 27C every now and then, even in London, shouldn't be a surprise. By then, the Meditteranian (how ever the hell you spell that) will well and truly have warmed up and any air sourced from there will allow temps to rise. In our equivalent month of October I've seen temps of 40C here. Sorry mate, but consequtive days in the mid 80's F in mid winter, and 40C in October (or your April) even for here is pretty bloody impressive. Our temp last night didn't fall below 20C until 4:30am.... not many, if any at all, temperate climates at 34° latitude in the northern hemisphere (or even virtually anywhere in Australia, or South America) can claim they've had such high overnight temps in the middle of winter.

Just found this about Crete (35N) getting an overnight low of 24C in early December 2010 with 28C recorded at 4am. The same place got 30C in January 2010 and 32C in February 2010, so whilst rare hot winter weather can and does happen in Europe.
Viewing a thread - 28.1C at 4am in Crete...A tropical December night (http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=40369&posts=17&start=1#M592318 - broken link)

Old 08-04-2011, 05:53 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
Wow, interesting info about these hot winter nights, especially about France -- I knew it was mild, but I didn't expect it'd be able to get that warm.

I wonder what's the most northerly latitude in North America that has gotten winter lows into the 20s C, and/or where you'd regularly get those kinds of winter nights.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:06 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times
Speaking of wavehunter007 (lol)...just let the old man mention a few things (and perhaps once again stick up for his homeland):

From what I have observed, just about anywhere in the middle latitudes (meaning 35 to 48 N/S), outside of very marine type climates - is capable of having very warm winter temps on occasion:

Here in the USA, in winter (Dec-Feb) places near 39/40 north latitude (like Sacramento, California or NYC) on occasion reach into the 70’s (21 – 26 C). Places like NYC, Sacramento, St. Louis...etc will also on occasion have overnight lows in winter near 60 F/16 C. Further south ( near 35/36 latitude), on the line of Temperate and Subtropical climates , many areas here in the USA on occasion will see winter highs into the upper 70’s and low 80’s (25 – 30 C). For example - both Las Vegas, NV and Virginia Beach, VA (near 36 latitude) see daily highs near 70 F (21 C) now and then in winter...and both cities have seen February temps hit 82 F to 87 F respectively. On occasion mid winter lows in these cities can be near 70 F (21 C).

Now as far as NORMAL winter lows into the 20’ s C(70 F) that is another matter: Few places on earth north of 25 latitude have normal winter lows in the lower 70’s. The warmest region of the USA in South Florida doesn’t even have normal winter lows in the 70’s (20’s C). Key West, Miami, Naples...etc all have normal winter lows in the 60 to 65 F range (16 – 18 C).

Old 08-05-2011, 04:08 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times
Some parts of western Europe are especially mild latitude-wise. For example Albi, SW France. Regularly gets up to 20°C in February, and sometimes in the low/mid-20's, this is at 43°N. SW France is possibly the furthest-from the equator example of a subtropical climate (according to some definitions). It really is very warm for its latitude. Probably gets some foehn effect from the Pyrenees to the SW, added to the already very mild SW gulfstream airmass. . Biarritz (SW France also) has had overnight lows ~20°C in December.
Wish I lived there.

I'm sorry to tell you that, but you're daydreaming! no way SW France is subtropical! (I live there part time , so believe me!) first Albi is not at 43° Lat, but 44°, a small but significant difference, and
20° C is an exceptionel temperature there in January, usually it's 10° C (not bad for the Latitude it's true, bur hardly subtropical - the only palm trees taht grow there are chamaerops,which can be found in Vancouver at 49° Lat-) but temperatures usually go down at night in winter below freezing (32° F) and snow is not uncommon, albeit in small quantities. But as soon as one goes up in the hills and mountains of Massif central and Pyrénées, winter can be brutal (-20° C temperatures are not uncommon). And the price to pay for the relatively mild winters in the plain is irregular weather in summer : one day you can have 30°C in the SW (Toulouse region for instance), then thunderstorm,and then a few days of rain and 19°C temperatures. The SW of France is extremely wet and rainy at times, hardly the ideal climate!

Old 08-05-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Wish I lived there.

I'm sorry to tell you that, but you're daydreaming! no way SW France is subtropical! (I live there part time , so believe me!) first Albi is not at 43° Lat, but 44°, a small but significant difference, and
It is by some definitions. I'm not day dreaming, I have plenty enough access to climatological figures to not need to do that. Whether you've lived there or not has nothing to do with what the data/classification system says.

Quote:
20° C is an exceptionel temperature there in January, usually it's 10° C (not bad for the Latitude it's true, bur hardly subtropical - the only palm trees taht grow there are chamaerops,which can be found in Vancouver at 49° Lat-) but temperatures usually go down at night in winter below freezing (32° F) and snow is not uncommon, albeit in small quantities.

I said February not January, and I looked through years of records too. 20°C was not what I'd call uncommon nor exceptional. Freezing temps and snow are common in New York City but even that's considered subtropical by some definitions (with much much colder winter averages...)

Quote:
But as soon as one goes up in the hills and mountains of Massif central and Pyrénées, winter can be brutal (-20° C temperatures are not uncommon).
I was typing about the low land areas, obviously.

Quote:
And the price to pay for the relatively mild winters in the plain is irregular weather in summer : one day you can have 30°C in the SW (Toulouse region for instance), then thunderstorm,and then a few days of rain and 19°C temperatures. The SW of France is extremely wet and rainy at times, hardly the ideal climate
Hardly unique a weather pattern to that area. Many climates at that latitude have this type of weather in summer. Your anecdotal evidence doesn't stand in the face of the climatic figures - this area has average highs of 27-28°C in July/August, a lot higher than most places at an equivalent latitude around the world. A lot of climates much nearer the equator have cooler summers with more changeable temps - San Francisco, San Diego, Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland, Lisbon, I could go on .

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 08-05-2011 at 04:55 AM..

Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Hardly unique a weather pattern to that area. Many climates at that latitude have this type of weather in summer. Your anecdotal evidence doesn't stand in the face of the climatic figures - this area has average highs of 27-28°C in July/August, a lot higher than most places at an equivalent latitude around the world. A lot of climates much nearer the equator have cooler summers with more changeable temps - San Francisco, San Diego, Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland, Lisbon, I could go on .
Pigeonhole may or may not be right, however if he/she lived in this region they would have some valuable first-hand knowledge of the climate.

However, from what I understand, it is untrue that the European Cs zone (or Mediterranean climate) is warmer or has more stable weather than other Cs zones. In fact, Mediterranean Europe is a good deal cooler and much more stormy (in both winter and summer) than similar Mediterranean climates in the USA and Australia.

True, SW France is located further poleward… but SW France has nowhere near the warmth of climate stability of the CS/Mediterranean zones in inland California. For example, Nice (43 N) has a warmest summer month of 73 F/23 C…while Red Bluff, California (41 N) has a warmest summer month of 82 F/28C . Further, the typical Cs summer pattern of drought, brilliant sunshine, and very low RH humidity, found in Cs locations like San Diego, Los Angeles, Sacramento…etc is not nearly as sharp in Mediterranean Europe. Locations like Naples, Italy (41 N) or Nice, France, receive at least some (though very little) rainfall in the summer months. Stations like Red Bluff, CA, Sacramento, CA have one summer month that NO RAINFALL is measured…, and stations further southward (Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Barbara…etc) normally receive ZERO rainfall from late May through late September.

A lack of rainfall is indicative of a lack of fronts/storms…etc, and a more stable climate I would think.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:25 AM

Well I still think it has a marvellous cliamte for its latitude. Nice, Marseille, Biriatz, Toulouse, etc... all much further north than these California climates you are mentioning and some very impressive temperatures. The mildest places that far north for sure.

It may rain more but I'd rather have that than a six month stretch with no rain at all, how boring. A lack of thunder-storms is a bad thing in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather