Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 05:04 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times

Advertisements

I can get similar summers at maybe 28-29 S, so a half day's drive north.
It is impressive how hot Spain is in summer for their latitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 05:18 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,422,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't see much difference between Auckland and Biarritz for summer average temps. Biarritz certainly gets a lot hotter, but Auckland gets higher humidity and a stronger sun. I don't know which would have the better summer, although the number of thunder days could lean me toward Biarritz. How many thunder days does it get?
I'll make a table and find out.

It's also the reason I'd prefer the Med climates over the California ones as Wavehunter was describing them. They may get a bit more rain but it generally comes in the form of thunderstorms and falls very quickly all at once.

These stats can be misleading because I know that Med climates generally get a very dry summer and maybe 1-2 days a year in summer, or less, there will be a tremendous downpour of several inches, (which if anything is exciting) then it won't rain again for weeks. Averaged out over a long period it makes the summer "appear" wetter than it really feels.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:41 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,148 times
I find it interesting that mediterranean climates are generally found on the west coasts of continents (especially where influenced by cold ocean currents), except in the Mediterranean itself.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:03 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,422,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
. How many thunder days does it get?
OK. Ere we go.

1980-2010, thunder days.

Jan - 1
Feb - 1.4
Mar - 1.2
Apr - 2
May - 3.2
Jun - 2.4
Jul - 3.3
Aug - 2.8
Sep - 2.6
Oct - 2
Nov - 1.5
Dec - 1.2
Tot - 24.5

Old 08-06-2011, 07:58 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I find it interesting that mediterranean climates are generally found on the west coasts of continents (especially where influenced by cold ocean currents), except in the Mediterranean itself.

…and that was kind of my point above.

In an ironic sort of way – the “real Mediterranean” actually has slightly less of the climate hallmarks (dry summers/few bouts of disturbed weather/low annual rainfall/hrs of sunshine...etc) than do Mediterranean climate sectors in the USA and Australia it seems. Throughout Iberia, southern France, much of Italy…etc the seasonal march of rainfall is less sharp than in the Cs zones in the USA and Australia. Locations like Adelaide receive less than half the summer rainfall that much of the European rim cities that front the Mediterranean Sea do in summer. California is an even more extreme variety of Mediterranean climate - as many locations in southern California receive no rain at all during the summer months when drought and a pitiless sun prevail.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 08-06-2011 at 08:07 AM..

Old 08-06-2011, 10:14 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
It looks like the Mediterranean climates where there is strong seasonality in rainfall would match more so places in the eastern Mediterranean coast facing the Middle East, like Jerusalem and Beirut, rather than Mediterranean Europe (those ones do seem to have no or almost no rain in the summer months, like southern California).

Those places seem to look quite like the climate profile for Australia's Mediterranean climates too.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:49 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Default Something I don't like about a SW winter pattern in Australia

We seem to get weather patterns in several day cycles;
several days of sun, followed by several days of rain and storms.
This week is a classic example; sunny since last Friday right up until this Friday
but this Saturday right through to next Tuesday or Wednesday are forecast for rain, wind and/or storms.

Apparently, these are "cold fronts"
but these fronts take SEVERAL DAYS to pass.
They can take nearly a week to pass.
I find this a bit odd, because in Toronto they usually only last maybe 4-40 hrs before the front is gone.

But my overall rating on bad weather of SW Oz vs. Toronto
(factoring temps I don't like ) is Toronto is still easily 10 times worse.
Where I am now, I'd nearly rate this climate an "A."
Only thing holding it back from an A is that warm sunrises are uncommon, any month of the year.
That, and most evenings are not comfortable during winter... remember their winter lasts half the year!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:40 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
remember their winter lasts half the year!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
I am wondering if they are not so much cold fronts but rather just the westerly storm track...
It seems as though most of the time WA has the storms track south of it except for a few times in "winter" when the storm track moves north and you get hit with days of rain before the storm track moves south again and you get a return to fine weather....

Old 08-10-2011, 09:13 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I am wondering if they are not so much cold fronts but rather just the westerly storm track...
It seems as though most of the time WA has the storms track south of it except for a few times in "winter" when the storm track moves north and you get hit with days of rain before the storm track moves south again and you get a return to fine weather....
Here they are just bands of moisture within a low pressure system, that can be warm or cold, or both depending on how far north/south east/west they track. A warm front followed by a cold front within a day are common for this area. 3 or 4 days of bad weather followed by 10 days of good weather is a common pattern. WA is probably similar to that.

Last edited by Joe90; 08-10-2011 at 09:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather