Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:00 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
It's a 2 season climate. There's no real spring or autumn weather.

In April, summer ends when you start getting waves of winter-like days.
May has plenty of winter-like days, and June onwards, mostly winter of course.
September is still as cold as June, and October is still colder than May.

Hence, half the year is winter by SW standards.

I would suspect summer is normally from the last week in October until at least the last week in March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Here they are just bands of moisture within a low pressure system, that can be warm or cold, or both depending on how far north/south east/west they track. A warm front followed by a cold front within a day are common for this area. 3 or 4 days of bad weather followed by 10 days of good weather is a common pattern. WA is probably similar to that.
This type of slow change is weird to me, having 3+ days straight of bad weather, repeatedly.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
This type of slow change is weird to me, having 3+ days straight of bad weather, repeatedly.
The changes can be quick. Rain for a few hours, with a (often total) clearance, only to rain a few hours later. It can be like this for a week at times and see a mixture of warm and cold fronts. Good for sun showers and rainbows.

I would have thought Toronto would get plenty of spells of bad weather.

Last edited by Joe90; 08-11-2011 at 10:27 AM..

Old 08-11-2011, 10:47 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,420,767 times
Try living in the UK COldCanadian, the "changes" take about 2 weeks. 2 weeks of complete overcast with drizzle followed by 2 weeks of biting northwest wind and showers with an hour of sun chucked in each day. That of course is the summer, not the winter which is far worse.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:23 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Try living in the UK COldCanadian, the "changes" take about 2 weeks. 2 weeks of complete overcast with drizzle followed by 2 weeks of biting northwest wind and showers with an hour of sun chucked in each day. That of course is the summer, not the winter which is far worse.
The climate of Buxton must be a million miles different than in Leeds.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:29 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Definitely Southwest WA weather is pretty nice in my opinion. Plenty of warm and sunny spells in the winter even if you get a few hours of rain now and again. It's certainly not like winter here where it seems like it rains almost every day and you hardly see the sun for months on end

Old 08-11-2011, 01:58 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Wow the Peak District area sounds great though where I was at this past winter (near Reading) the winter was snowy when I got there and it didn't drizzle except for the 3 days I was in London. Other than that, it was just plain cloudy. My only complaint is the sun rises too late and sets too early

Old 08-11-2011, 02:55 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,420,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The climate of Buxton must be a million miles different than in Leeds.
The temps are very similar.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The changes can be quick. Rain for a few hours, with a (often total) clearance, only to rain a few hours later. It can be like this for a week at times and see a mixture of warm and cold fronts. Good for sun showers and rainbows.

I would have thought Toronto would get plenty of spells of bad weather.
It does flop back and forth, but it will do that for nearly a week, then a week or more with nothing. Both are very weird to me.

In Toronto autumn or winter, it's quite unusual to have more than 3-4 sunny days in a row, or more than 2 days with precip in a row.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Just when I thought UK climates couldn't be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather