Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:48 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times

Advertisements

Summer in the southeast isn't over yet. Still warm and humid until late september or early october. I will be very glad when its finally over. Looking forward to wearing a jacket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 07:51 PM

914 posts, read 2,105,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
I find temperatures between 75-85*F as good outdoor activity temperatures. Nightly lows between 65-70*F are just cool enough (for me) to use a light blanket. Of course I'm willing to compromise a little. I guess you could say I'm the human equivalent of a breadfruit tree.

100*F feels nice when you're dreading the cold weather to come soon.
maybe I should personally get you this so you'll stop whining about Houston's not-so-cold weather

Or would you rather have fur?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:57 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Now the hellish weather returns.

I'm already sick of the cloudy days.

Hopefully we get some nice snowstorms this winter, and what Chicago got last February.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:59 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Perhaps what he's referring to is not so much the averages but the cold snaps that can occur? Houston has record lows in the single digits for Dec - Feb.
Houston does get nasty cold snaps, but single digits are very rare. Lowest temperature most years are probably around 20 F.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:14 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,542,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Houston does get nasty cold snaps, but single digits are very rare. Lowest temperature most years are probably around 20 F.
We can go from only 32*F one year to 18*F the next...

Old 09-05-2011, 08:26 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
I take it back, more like 5-6 months then 7, still I find temperatures below 60*F uncomfortable and really don't like bulky winter clothing add that with waking up at 6 a.m (coldest part of the day) and it's miserable .
LOL! Bulky clothing at 60F? Seriously?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I'd have a much easier time letting go of summer if winter in the northeastern US wasn't as long as it is. Once October rolls around, it will be a while before temperatures get warm again. Here, average highs average below 70F from late September to mid-May. That's a LONG time IMO.
From October 8th to May 2nd actually in Philadelphia according to NOAA 1981 to 2010 averages. A bit better than you guys in NYC.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:10 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I notice you tend to exaggerate TN summers, 85-90 for a month longer? Really? Those are like the record highs for mid-late October which you seem to be insinuating that these types of temps last until that time of year. Have you honestly seen 90 degree temps in mid-October in middle TN? I used to live a state south of you and you can notice a VERY noticeable cool down by late September, and by mid-late October there were many mornings in the 30s and 40s, and that was a state south of you. Temps in the upper 80s in mid-TN in October is probably just as likely to happen as a night in the low 30s.
You're right, I shouldn't have said an entire month. In a couple of weeks it will be mid September, which is still plenty hot in TN on average. But a month after that it will be mid October, which will certainly be cooler. But mid October can still easily be what I consider hot. Last September Nashville averaged a high of 86, with a maximum high of 95, which occurred on Sept 21st. Last September had 13 days over 90 the last one being on the 24th!, 11 days over 80, and only 6 days below 80, all of which were in the 70s, only two being below 75. To me, that's enough to qualify as a hot month.

Naturally October was cooler, but there were still plenty of warm days. The average high for the month was just 76, but the maximum high was 88. Nine days over 80, four of those high 80s. Just four days with highs in only the 60s, the rest of the month was in the 70s, eight days in the high 70s. So while the average high wasn't bad, there were still four days in the high 80s. To me that's a month that's mostly too hot. Granted, the relative humidity and dew points are much lower, but high 80s is hot to me no matter what. High 70s is warm to me, bordering on uncomfortable unless I'm practically motionless.

2009 was cooler, in fact I'd say cooler than normal. But September still managed an average high of 81 and a maximum of 87. October was cooler than normal (probably because it rained most of the month), with an average high of only 66 (normal is 71), but still had a maximum high of 86. And that's the problem with judging middle Tennessee's climate strictly based on the average temperatures, because an average high of 71 in October doesn't tell you anything about the days that near 90, which at least half the Octobers there had when I lived there. In fact I've checked the records for every October since I was born (1979) and every single one had days over 80, at least half in the high 80s. In fact, I have to go back to 2004 to find an October where the maximum high wasn't at least 86, usually closer to 90, and that October had an unusual amount of rain and clouds and still hit 82 on Oct 30th! It's not uncommon at all for Nashville to have numerous days in the 90s in September and several days well into the 80s in October. Now 90 in October is rare, although that's happened at least once in my lifetime as well.

One last note, the average low in Nashville in October is 48-49, and the record low is 26. The record high is 94. And I've seen mornings when it was in the 40s, and that same afternoon it might reach high 80s. Likewise it may be in the low 60s one day, and two or three days later be mid or high 80s. October varies quite a bit there, with some pretty hot days and some downright cool days. But the month is most certainly not 100% cool. In fact for much of the month it was almost always warmer than I find comfortable. We'd very rarely have consistently cool days until November, and even then we might see and warm day or two at the beginning of the month.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
thioas as been a rpetty normal sumer where i live except for rainfall total. But we are not not far off and i have sen much worse. One day reaching 100. Tomorrow nite we may set a record low for that date.We had steady heavy to moderate rain from friday to to last nite. Beautiful day today;sun shine and high of 78. I hope this winter is milder. the last three winters we got snow at least one day which is rare here.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:57 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,467,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
From October 8th to May 2nd actually in Philadelphia according to NOAA 1981 to 2010 averages. A bit better than you guys in NYC.
I actually don't know the exact dates for NYC. I just kinda eyeballed it from the monthly averages. 71 F is the average high for May in NYC so just over half the days in May should be > 70F. Sept and Oct average highs are 74.7 and 63.5, thus the 70F mark should fall near the end of Sept.

Looking at the averages for Philly, it seems like you guys can enjoy 70+ temps for a week or so longer in each spring and fall (so 2 weeks more for the entire year). Again, this is very imprecise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather