Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate: St George, Utah
A 2 6.90%
B 4 13.79%
C 10 34.48%
D 10 34.48%
E/F 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 07:47 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times

Advertisements

And strenuous activity in hot weather can cause heat stroke which can make you just as dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 10:01 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Actually strenuous exercise in cold weather is very dangerous for anyone with high blood pressure or atherosclerosis because the cold temperature thickens the blood, exacerbating both conditions.
Not everyone has high blood pressure or atheroclerosis. Perfectly healthy people are more likely to face a weather related health emergency in heat rather than cooler temperatures.

What's more dangerous? Holding football practice when the heat index is 115 F or when it's 40 F?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2
Cold lovers still use their heating and dress up in "winter clothing" for the cold. Clear who's the hypocrites here. Not warmth lovers. Duuuhhh.
There's nothing hypocritical about it. There's no difference between seeking to maintain an ideal level of comfort through wearing jackets and turning on the heat or taking a swim and turning on a fan or A/C.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:42 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Not everyone has high blood pressure or atheroclerosis. Perfectly healthy people are more likely to face a weather related health emergency in heat rather than cooler temperatures.

What's more dangerous? Holding football practice when the heat index is 115 F or when it's 40 F?
So how many people die from heat stroke in any given year? Just curious, but I doubt it's anywhere close to the number of people who die from ice or snow-related traffic accidents.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:05 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Quote:

If you look back in the thread, I used a comfortable temperature range of warmth/heat of 20-30°C (68-86°F), no fans or AC required (for me) and physical activity isn't a problem in that range. But if you go out in freezing weather with the same clothes you wore indoors, you will succumb to hypothermia. I don't know where you got 115°F but I never said that was comfortable.

As a "perfectly healthy" fit person (proven by low blood pressure, good fitness/energy, etc...) I've actually come closer to hypothermia (in the winter of 2001, it was in Buxton unsurprisingly too) in freezing weather than I ever did to even feeling uncomfortable while walking around and working in a temperature of 32.2°C (90°F).

Quote:
There's nothing hypocritical about it. There's no difference between seeking to maintain an ideal level of comfort through wearing jackets and turning on the heat or taking a swim and turning on a fan or A/C.
I don't need AC on between 68-86°F, which is my comfortable temp range as stated earlier...Warmth lovers don't stick on AC willy nilly but find me a single "cold lover" who doesn't live in a home warmer than outside in the cold of winter, or doesn't wear extra clothing in winter.

Here are some questions then for you as a cold lover:
The "Are You a Temperature Hypocrite" checklist.

What is the typical temperature in your house?
Is it higher than the cold temps in winter you claim to love?
What is your typical clothing inside, as compared with outside, in winter?
Can you say walk several miles, or at least be out significant time in the coldest days of your winter, wearing exactly what you do sitting at your computer in your house? Part of the irritation to me is having to put on extra layers anyway, a thing I hate about winter and cold.

Now for me in my comfortable temperature range of 20-30°C...

What is the typical temperature in my house? 20-30°C
Is it higher/lower than the warm temps I claim to love? NO. It is exactly the same.
Typical clothing inside compared with outside? Exactly the same, if the weather is in that range, and warmer.
Can I walk several miles or at least be out significant time in such temps wearing exactly what I do sitting at my computer in my house? With ease....

It isn''t about "cold vs heat" as much as it's about "cold vs. comfortable living temperatures", "cold vs warmth".... biologically all humans are designed to feel comfortable in an ambient temperature of 20-30°C, not at freezing temperatures. Extreme heat isn't better than cold, but the comfortable living temperature range sure is.

There is nothing natural about liking cold and darkness, the root is a psychological problem somewhere; unless one is a woodlouse.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 12-17-2011 at 04:50 AM..

Old 12-17-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
If you look back in the thread, I used a comfortable temperature range of warmth/heat of 20-30°C (68-86°F), no fans or AC required (for me) and physical activity isn't a problem in that range. But if you go out in freezing weather with the same clothes you wore indoors, you will succumb to hypothermia. I don't know where you got 115°F but I never said that was comfortable.
This part of the post wasn't directed towards you. Anyway, my bedroom frequently reaches 86 F during the summer. If I don't turn on the A/C, it becomes unbearable. During major heatwaves in the US, people often die when it gets much above such a temperature. Sure, you can blow fans and drink water, but it isn't always enough. As for you personally, I'll take your opinion more seriously when you move to a climate with real summers.

Quote:
As a "perfectly healthy" fit person (proven by low blood pressure, good fitness/energy, etc...) I've actually come closer to hypothermia (in the winter of 2001, it was in Buxton unsurprisingly too) in freezing weather than I ever did to even feeling uncomfortable while walking around and working in a temperature of 32.2°C (90°F).
Where have you worked in 90 F temperatures?

Despite staying hydrated and attempting to stay in the shade, I've come dangerously close to having heat stroke a few times. I remember one day a couple summers ago playing football around 10AM. It was sunny and only in the upper 70s/low 80s, but I almost passed out. 86 F is not moderate as you claim, especially when you're engaged in physical activity. Combine that with humidity and sunshine and it can become dangerous. Most people are making an effort to cool down by drinking water, swimming, etc.

The difference for me personally is efforts to stay warm during the winter actually work, while efforts to stay cool during the summer are often insufficient, short of running up the electric bill or swimming (not always practical). Now, contrary to your absurd claims stated below, that doesn't make a a hypocrite. I still enjoy cold weather. I enjoy the fresh air, snow, skiing, etc. I'm not sure why you refuse to accept that, but I won't lose sleep over it. If we follow your logic, we should all move to San Diego, or anywhere with very benign temperatures. It's kind of funny watching you attempt to paint everyone as a heat lover.

Are people who enjoy snow storms hypocrites since they dress up for it when they go outside?

One more reason why I also prefer cooler weather is because the air is generally healthier and easier to breath. Breathing can become difficult during hot and humid weather. I've taken deep breaths of hot humid air and nearly choked. The same doesn't happen when it's cold out (exceptions for extreme cold I imagine).

Quote:
I don't need AC on between 68-86°F, which is my comfortable temp range as stated earlier...Warmth lovers don't stick on AC willy nilly but find me a single "cold lover" who doesn't live in a home warmer than outside in the cold of winter, or doesn't wear extra clothing in winter.
Coming from a guy who lives in Buxton.

Quote:
Here are some questions then for you as a cold lover:
The "Are You a Temperature Hypocrite" checklist.

What is the typical temperature in your house?
Is it higher than the cold temps in winter you claim to love?
What is your typical clothing inside, as compared with outside, in winter?
Can you say walk several miles, or at least be out significant time in the coldest days of your winter, wearing exactly what you do sitting at your computer in your house? Part of the irritation to me is having to put on extra layers anyway, a thing I hate about winter and cold.

Now for me in my comfortable temperature range of 20-30°C...

What is the typical temperature in my house? 20-30°C
Is it higher/lower than the warm temps I claim to love? NO. It is exactly the same.
Typical clothing inside compared with outside? Exactly the same, if the weather is in that range, and warmer.
Can I walk several miles or at least be out significant time in such temps wearing exactly what I do sitting at my computer in my house? With ease....

It isn''t about "cold vs heat" as much as it's about "cold vs. comfortable living temperatures", "cold vs warmth".... biologically all humans are designed to feel comfortable in an ambient temperature of 20-30°C, not at freezing temperatures. Extreme heat isn't better than cold, but the comfortable living temperature range sure is.

There is nothing natural about liking cold and darkness, the root is a psychological problem somewhere; unless one is a woodlouse.
Lol, now you think people with different preferences than you have a psychological problem? Ignoring that you're stubbornly close minded for a moment, I would argue that people like you are extremely sensitive. Do you get depressed when the sun goes down every night?

Old 12-17-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
So how many people die from heat stroke in any given year? Just curious, but I doubt it's anywhere close to the number of people who die from ice or snow-related traffic accidents.
Injuries from traffic accidents are separate from dying directly due to cold.

According to this source, 400 people on average die from heat related causes. But it's from 2002. I'll see if I can find a more recent source.

Relation between Elevated Ambient Temperature and Mortality: A Review of the Epidemiologic Evidence

Old 12-17-2011, 11:41 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times
Quote:
Injuries from traffic accidents are separate from dying directly due to cold.

According to this source, 400 people on average die from heat related causes. But it's from 2002. I'll see if I can find a more recent source.

Relation between Elevated Ambient Temperature and Mortality: A Review of the Epidemiologic Evidence
Hmm. Sounds like freezing to death is more likely: Hypothermia-Related Mortality

But these deaths caused directly by heat OR cold are still a very small percentage of total mortality. If you want to compare the relative dangers of either heat or cold you can't ignore indirectly-caused deaths. However, the "heat kills" argument seems to be mostly based on abnormal heat waves in the densely-populated American east and northern Europe rather then a rational overall assessment of climatic factors and mortality.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Hmm. Sounds like freezing to death is more likely: Hypothermia-Related Mortality

But these deaths caused directly by heat OR cold are still a very small percentage of total mortality. If you want to compare the relative dangers of either heat or cold you can't ignore indirectly-caused deaths. However, the "heat kills" argument seems to be mostly based on abnormal heat waves in the densely-populated American east and northern Europe rather then a rational overall assessment of climatic factors and mortality.
Just because they were abnormal heatwaves, doesn't make my point any less relevant. It actually supports it. More people in the US die of extreme heat rather than extreme cold. The cold deaths you mentioned are less direct than the heat deaths I'm talking about. If I get impailed by a tree from crashing my car on an icy road, that would be the cause of death. Not the cold. I'm certainly not discounting the indirect causes of death due to cold, but I would say there's less of a correlation.

http://www.noaawatch.gov/themes/heat.php

Edit: Another interesting source, which also puts into account other factors related to mortality and weather: http://www.ij-healthgeographics.com/...-072x-7-64.pdf

Last edited by ilovemycomputer90; 12-17-2011 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-17-2011, 12:02 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
I've always wondered why you never hear of people dying from heat in places like Miami or Houston or Hong Kong in the summer.... whereas in Southern Canada and the NE US.. you hear about it much more often.
Here on the weather network in Canada, I often see heat alerts in the summer for places like Southern Ontario and Southern Quebec and I can't help but laugh. When I lived in Southern China for a year, temperatures topped 90F with high humidity every single day in summer and nobody was freaking out and opening up "cooling centres"... seems somewhat ridiculous to me.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I've always wondered why you never hear of people dying from heat in places like Miami or Houston or Hong Kong in the summer.... whereas in Southern Canada and the NE US.. you hear about it much more often.
Here on the weather network in Canada, I often see heat alerts in the summer for places like Southern Ontario and Southern Quebec and I can't help but laugh. When I lived in Southern China for a year, temperatures topped 90F with high humidity every single day in summer and nobody was freaking out and opening up "cooling centres"... seems somewhat ridiculous to me.
Miami and Houston are much more prepared for dealing with heat than Canada or the Northern US. The population probably isn't as acclimated and A/C isn't as widely available, especially to the poor and elderly.

Last edited by ilovemycomputer90; 12-17-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather