Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,606,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
I would try this survey with the people at my work but they would probably look at me like I have two heads or something?
I tried it with my mother a while ago. I had to ask a few times because she thought the question was so weird. In °F her preference was a summer of 80/60 and a winter of 55/40 (might be a few degrees off with winter it was a while ago). So summer -2, winter +2.

Edit: The other thing she wanted out of summer was "not humid" though probably desert-like dryness either.

Last edited by nei; 02-19-2013 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,580,508 times
Yeah, you tend to get weird results when you ask non-weather-geeks for numerical answers to that question.

I remember I asked my father what his dream climate was a while ago and he came up with something resembling Goa but with much cooler temps during the (summer) monsoon (like 18/22°C) yet 30+°C during all other months can't think of anywhere with such a pattern.

And my gf's is 25/30°C with minimal rainfall and 10 hours sun a day for 11 months, and -6/-2°C with tons of snow in December - go figure out though I wouldn't mind that at all either.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,862,361 times
I've asked my mother and a couple of friends, and they all seem to appreciate snow and cold. Of course, part of this is simply the love of four seasons, but also because many do winter sports where cold is required. I don't know if they could define this on a strict temp/rainfall scale. If i ask 100 people randomly how many sunshine hours our area get annually, probably one can give the correct answer.

What I frequently hear is, people dislike November, frost/thaw/frost spells with mud and sleet, and that our winters are too long. Some again loathe temps above 25C.

My mother has said she likes 2-3 weeks of heat in the summer, otherwise mild and sunny. So perhaps one month above 22C, long shoulder seasons and cold and snowy winters, but fairly brief. Like mid-Dec to mid-Feb.

Last edited by Ariete; 02-19-2013 at 06:15 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,634,167 times
I've asked a few people in my family what type of weather they prefer.

My grandmother prefers mild weather, and not too sunny i.e 18C, sunny intervals, little cold, rain or snow. She complains about the heat even in weather I consider very comfortable, such as 23C. I guess her old age comes into play here.

My mother is more ambiguous, but she doesn't like heat or very cold weather, either, but likes snow, and enjoys rain and thunderstorms, as long as she isn't outside. She says she would much rather have snow than rain. I asked her if she would like to take a trip to Florida and she said she wouldn't be able to cope - she's pale skinned and a natural redhead, after all.

My sister (who is in her late 20s) gets giddy when it snows, like a little child. Other than that, I can't say what she prefers, she enjoys sunbathing, so I guess she likes sun and warmth during the appropriate seasons.

One of my friends is remarkably similar to me in preferences, she loves snow, thunderstorms, heavy rain - you name it. I don't think she realises that she is probably a weather enthusiast.

One thing I've noticed though, is that everyone talks about snow. When it starts to fall, people will instantly start talking about it. They will look out of the window when it gets particularly heavy, they will complain or express excitement. I think snow is the ultimate conversation starter.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 02-19-2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,441,590 times
I may be well sad, but I once asked my mother to come up with her "dream climate averages", in an averages table, under columns min/max temp, sun, rain for each month.

Well.

Her coldest month (january) had averages of 15°C / 25°C (59°F / 77°F). The warmest (august) had averages of 21°C / 31°C (70°F / 88°F). Her climate had 3,525 hours of sun a year, and 710mm (28") of rain a year. Now I know I must have inherited my weather preferences.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,580,508 times
^^^ wow, your mom would love my dream climate - it's almost identical to what you described!

Old 02-19-2013, 07:04 PM

3,504 posts, read 2,797,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I tried it with my mother a while ago. I had to ask a few times because she thought the question was so weird. In °F her preference was a summer of 80/60 and a winter of 55/40 (might be a few degrees off with winter it was a while ago). So summer -2, winter +2.

Edit: The other thing she wanted out of summer was "not humid" though probably desert-like dryness either.
I would try it with my family but I'm currently travelling through work in between snowstorms.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:06 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,564,943 times
Winter minus 7
Summer plus 7

Old 02-19-2013, 07:31 PM

I haven't asked my parents but I allready know my dads weather preferences. He's a hardcore heat lover and a hardcore snow hater. He would love to live in southern Florida. My mom prefers more moderate temperatures.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
One thing I've noticed though, is that everyone talks about snow. When it starts to fall, people will instantly start talking about it. They will look out of the window when it gets particularly heavy, they will complain or express excitement. I think snow is the ultimate conversation starter.
In Atlantic Canada talking or complaining about the weather is deffintly the ultimate conversation starter. This region seems to be famous for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather