Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 12:51 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,880,130 times

Advertisements

Admittedly sub -30° C temperatures aren't very practical as most cars start having trouble starting, heating bills get really expensive, etc. I only experience that kind of cold a few times a year here but I find it very enjoyable. Reality takes on a surreal quality with the cold fog, iced up trees and a beautiful, almost ringing sound of snow. It may get tiring for months on end but I'd certainly like at least a few weeks of this.

10° C I find to be perfect T-shirt weather for outdoor activities. I hate sweating and that's enough to keep me cool while not being too cold.

The problem with this climate is that it's in tundra which means high winds. I love snowstorms but in the summer I don't like wind that much. The barren landscape itself is beautiful though. Damn, I really need to visit Alaska, hehe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 01:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I had no idea that so many people here would score at -10. It's puzzling as to how there's such a distinct cluster at that one point . In any case, since I score there myself I'm not complaining ..
Not that puzzling; that's the coldest the chart goes, so so all the people with the coldest climate preferences will be bunched up at one point. -10 in the winter chart refers to any winter mean below -14°C (6.8°F). Cold enough for most but even Winnipeg would deserve an additional point; it would be -11/-12 on the winter scale if it were extended. Think the chart would be get messier if the scale was extended, I'd rather leave it as is unless the amount clustering gets really high.

Interesting that there's no clustering at the hot end. Might be because the range of hot temperatures people tolerate is smaller than cold temperatures but it could also be from the choice of scale.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:14 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,422,619 times
I might upgrade my summer mean temperature level actually. The other day I went for a drive in my car and since it had been in the sun all day it had become very hot inside. I wanted to see how hot. I took a thermometer inside with me and drove about without the AC or open window and the thermometer, in the shade, got stuck at 50°C / 122°F. I would never have guessed it was that hot. I mean, it didn't feel too bad. I was wearing a fleece so it would have been more comfortable with less on. I ended up dripping wet with sweat, and the steering wheel was so hot I had to use gloves. 20 minutes in a car is different than actually putting up with living in it all day for sure, however I could cope with it every now and again I think, so I wouldn't mind a climate with average temps around 30-35 in summer with it reaching 45-50 every now and again.

A good old blast of 50°C is good for everyone every once in a while, they say it does the world of good, sweating out all those toxins.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:21 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not that puzzling; that's the coldest the chart goes, so so all the people with the coldest climate preferences will be bunched up at one point. -10 in the winter chart refers to any winter mean below -14°C (6.8°F). Cold enough for most but even Winnipeg would deserve an additional point; it would be -11/-12 on the winter scale if it were extended. Think the chart would be get messier if the scale was extended, I'd rather leave it as is unless the amount clustering gets really high.
I think we should adopt a logarithmic scale with (-10, -10) corresponding to Vostok Station and (10, 10) to Dallol, considering the extreme preferences of many on this forum. Although even then you'd probably still get clustering around (-10, -10). If current trends continue the bottom left hand corner of the chart will be a mass of red dots before the year is out. This forum is a real Mecca for cold lovers. (get it?)

Old 05-25-2012, 06:46 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I might upgrade my summer mean temperature level actually. The other day I went for a drive in my car and since it had been in the sun all day it had become very hot inside. I wanted to see how hot. I took a thermometer inside with me and drove about without the AC or open window and the thermometer, in the shade, got stuck at 50°C / 122°F. I would never have guessed it was that hot. I mean, it didn't feel too bad. I was wearing a fleece so it would have been more comfortable with less on. I ended up dripping wet with sweat, and the steering wheel was so hot I had to use gloves. 20 minutes in a car is different than actually putting up with living in it all day for sure, however I could cope with it every now and again I think, so I wouldn't mind a climate with average temps around 30-35 in summer with it reaching 45-50 every now and again.

A good old blast of 50°C is good for everyone every once in a while, they say it does the world of good, sweating out all those toxins.
I'd recommend upgrading your preference, given that experience. So, you had a fleece on in those conditions . Your experience was even more impressive than I first thought.

Aspects of this remind me of a few of my experiences with cold. Although I've never had the pleasure of experiencing what anything like -50C would be like, there have been a few experiences where it was around 10F and it felt closer to 30F or even 40F, which is not a very cold feeling at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I think we should adopt a logarithmic scale with (-10, -10) corresponding to Vostok Station and (10, 10) to Dallol, considering the extreme preferences of many on this forum. Although even then you'd probably still get clustering around (-10, -10).
Nah. I don't think a logarithmic scale should be adopted. Perhaps a little recalibration to include winter means down to -25C would be in order, but I don't think we'd need that unless there becomes a huge cluster there. Besides, the logarithmic scale would be more complicated and would tend to cluster people towards the middle instead (so there could be another mass of red dots). Any calibration to have a decent spread would be pretty close to what we have now, if my knowledge of logarithmic charts serves me correctly.

Quote:
If current trends continue the bottom left hand corner of the chart will be a mass of red dots before the year is out. This forum is a real Mecca for cold lovers. (get it?)
That was actually pretty funny.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Aspects of this remind me of a few of my experiences with cold. Although I've never had the pleasure of experiencing what anything like -50C would be like, there have been a few experiences where it was around 10F and it felt closer to 30F or even 40F, which is not a very cold feeling at all.
What's the coldest you've experienced?

It seems to be random for me. I've been mostly comfortable at 18°F if I'm moving except for my face. Especially in the winter when it happens regularly, but it is a relief when it's warmer. Other times 18°F feels awful. I've felt comfy in 10°F; but that was hiking up a mountain in Vermont. I was shocked at the thermometer reading. I was told to keep my water bottle insulated in a sock and not exposed or my water would freeze. Didn't seem that cold so I didn't bother. And it froze. Once we went a bit further passing treeline it felt much colder and uncomfortable, but that was partly because the wind was much stronger. Didn't stay for long.

Here's a bit below treeline:

and above treeline:

I need to go winter hiking next year. Never made it last winter, was a good winter for it in some ways.

Quote:
Besides, the logarithmic scale would be more complicated and would tend to cluster people towards the middle instead (so there could be another mass of red dots). Any calibration to have a decent spread would be pretty close to what we have now, if my knowledge of logarithmic charts serves me correctly.
A logarithmic chart would make things more spread out for people in the middle rather than an extreme. The distance from 2 to 4 would be the same 4 to 8 or 8 to 16. Agree a log scale is unnecessary though I doubt it was suggested seriously.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Here's a bit below treeline:

and above treeline:
Nice pictures .

Old 05-25-2012, 07:16 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,672,495 times
Coldest I have experienced was −41.7 °C (−43 °F) on February 5, 2007.

coldest windchill I experienced was -57.1°C

Old 05-25-2012, 07:37 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,959,085 times
I'll move it a bit in the warm direction: 10 and 10.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:10 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,467,018 times
I want to update my preferences a bit plus add rainfall/sunshine

Coldest month: 0 (one notch warmer than before)
Hottest month: 1 (two notch warmer)
Rainfall: -4
Sunshine: 1

I really liked this past very mild winter and didn't really miss snow as much as I thought I would. I can still take trips to snowier parts of the country to get my fix.

As for the summer, it is not as if my preferences changed much. I simply realized that, for the summer to be long and warm, the hottest month realistically has to be a bit warmer than the preferred temperature. If I could make the entire summer to be grade -1 (~22C) I would but that's not realistic if the hottest month is only 22C. Kinda obvious but whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather