Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 03:19 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,838,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
We've had the AC going for about three days straight now. 30.5C cool? Haha. Without air-con or fan it's just oppressive being in here. Especially upstairs it often feels just as hot indoors as outdoors. Especially bad in the evening when the heat from the day is still lingering.
You should stop on by, come by for tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 03:40 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,077,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
You should stop on by, come by for tea.
LOL, you're still in the habit of drinking hot tea when it's 30+ C?

I guess you're setting your sights on the Pilbara?

Old 01-28-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
LOL, you're still in the habit of drinking hot tea when it's 30+ C?

I guess you're setting your sights on the Pilbara?
Hahaha yes!
I had hot chinese tea and soup for lunch today in my un-airconditioned 36.5 C/98 F kitchen.
But yeah, I meant "tea" as a meal, (Aussie usage ) not neccessarily the drink.

Pilbara wouldn't be bad.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:59 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,012,346 times
Quote:
Hahaha yes!
I had hot chinese tea and soup for lunch today in my un-airconditioned 36.5 C/98 F kitchen.

Pilbara wouldn't be bad.
If you have any drinks with ice cubes in it, be sure to gulp it down fast because that ice melts down a lot quicker at those temperatures . If I was going to eat a meal in your area, I'd have to go to a restaurant, because in a 98F kitchen, I'd wind up in the hospital before I could eat it . However I do have an understanding of your enthusiasm for it, thinking of the analogue of myself gorging on ice cream in a 40F kitchen (not that my kitchen is actually that cold, but it doesn't sound too bad to me and I imagine 98F isn't too bad for you either).

Old 01-28-2012, 08:05 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,438,797 times
I wish it was 30 degrees C here, it's 23 degrees in my room and I'm freezing.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:15 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,545,398 times
I dont think here in BA the A/C gets to be so cold that is uncomfortable, when i go to drink a coffee to a coffee shop or to a shopping mall, etc, i think the usual A/C temp in the summer is 75 f (24 celsius), and i always love the feel!! To come from a 33-35 day and enter a place 10 celsius cooler feel wonderful!!!! And sinc 24 celsius isnt cold either, you dont feel cold if you have summer clothes on, at least i feel just gret. Im gonna go in a while to drink coffee to a place with A/C in the corner of my block in a summer drees and will not feel remotely cold at all.

I do agree, though, that if people decided to suddenly put the A/C at 17 celsius (63F) the difference between those and the +90c of the outside temp will be too much! Nearly 30f, i feel i would feel cold with a summer dress in a 63 f enviroment, even if i normally would love to have 63f temps in summer nights.

And about aclimatation, i was actually thinking that the last few days, last 2 or 3 days were the """"cold""" days here in BA, wich means highs in the 27-29c (80-84f) and nights....actually exact temp of the last two nights was 21 celsius on thursday (70f) and 23 celsius on friday (73f) and i fel those nights were COOL! I know, how weird it is, but it was the first time in a long while (maybe all january) while i went out to a recital and felt the air was wonderful, the breeze lovely. On friday me and my boyfriend were walking back home at midnight (a 30 blocks walk) and we were both saying "oooh, how wonderful this weather is, how great would it nights in summer were like this". Before getting home, i asked him: what temp do u think it is right now? and he answered me: 18 ceslius (64 f), i said: "no way, temp is more than 20c". He didnt think so, so we came home, checked it in tv and in internet, and temp was in fact 23 celsius, lol.

Point is, we are so aclimatated here, so used to 26-27-28 celsius nights, that if a night is between 20-24 celsius we feel that night is waaay cooler than it is, and are thankful for it, when in reality we would never think of a 23 celsius night as a "beautiful" summer night. At least me, in this forum, i would NEVER say a 23 c its ideal for me in any month. But living in such hot conditions for the last few months (aka summer) i actually enjoy a 23 celsius night when im living it. 23c at night feel like 18c now, i guess thats called aclimatation.

And probably, if all of the sudden and despite being highly unlikely, BA was to have a 17 celsius night on a january summer night, then i would feel cold. Not that im cold in 17c, but im cold in this hot context when i totally lost the measure of what pleasant weather is.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:58 PM

^^

I tried to walk along the beach to enjoy a pretty sunset 1 month ago.
After 10 minutes I was absolutely too cold in shorts and t-shirt, especially my fingertips.
I noticed a lot of other people who found the beach too cold.
They were in long pants, some in coats and still thought it was bad.
Conditions at the time were 19 C/67 F with a steady 33km/h (20mph) wind.
This was in Bunbury, WA.

Funny that I'd felt warm in the sun just a half hour earlier.
Back then it might have been 23-24 C/73-75 F, breezy
and my shadow twice the length of my height. (sun strength still had a fair amount of infrared )

Warm evenings are a rare treat here, even in summer.
I usually try to brace for more chill than I'd prefer.
(my preference is nearly-zero noticeable chill )

Old 01-29-2012, 03:20 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,077,243 times
Quote:
^^

I tried to walk along the beach to enjoy a pretty sunset 1 month ago.
After 10 minutes I was absolutely too cold in shorts and t-shirt, especially my fingertips.
I noticed a lot of other people who found the beach too cold.
They were in long pants, some in coats and still thought it was bad.
Conditions at the time were 19 C/67 F with a steady 33km/h (20mph) wind.
This was in Bunbury, WA.

Funny that I'd felt warm in the sun just a half hour earlier.
Back then it might have been 23-24 C/73-75 F, breezy
and my shadow twice the length of my height. (sun strength still had a fair amount of infrared )

Warm evenings are a rare treat here, even in summer.
I usually try to brace for more chill than I'd prefer.
(my preference is nearly-zero noticeable chill )
So you really need 25+ C at sunset. This is why I think Brisbane would suit you better. Mean summer lows are 3 C higher which makes a big difference to sunset temps.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:01 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,956,384 times
Quote:
Hahaha yes!

Pilbara wouldn't be bad.
Now, I like my summer weather, but seriously, wtf???

to me, 36.5C means enjoying some ice cold strawberry milk, ice coffee or beer!

Old 01-29-2012, 06:34 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,578,779 times
Drinking hot tea (or anything hot) is one of the most efficient ways of cooling yourself down. Go to Hong Kong in summer or Singapore to a random restaurant and the first thing you'll get is a hot tea or a glass of hot water, never cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather