Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 09:50 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Whats up with the wild fires out west every year?? Imagine if we werent around to fight them? Why doesnt the East experience as much? Is it just because the Humidity is usually high in the East?

More homes evacuated after new Colorado wildfire | Fox News

The only thing I see out of this is the Ridge being more consistant in the West which tells me any heat the East gets might actually be temporary. We'll see.
it's because fires are more explosive when there in the Mountains because they can grow vertically. But, in addition to that, rainfall in the mountain west is much lower than in the east so vegetation doesn't burn as easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:57 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Today our heat index peaked at 101 and it looks like we are going to continue to hit 100 everyday this week
Oh, oh, but I thought Miami was always so comfortable in the 80s . Now you know what the hell that is Puerto Rico is like, except it lasts for 9 months, not 4 or 5

Old 06-19-2013, 10:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Oh, oh, but I thought Miami was always so comfortable in the 80s . Now you know what the hell that is Puerto Rico is like, except it lasts for 9 months, not 4 or 5
except it's not in the 80s it's in the 90s which is not enjoyable.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:38 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
A few Actual Lows for now:

MONTPELIER,VT: 39°
SPRINGFIELD,VT: 39°
SALISBURY,VT: 38°
Newbury,VT: 38
MORRISVILLE,VT: 37°
SARANAC LAKE,NY: 30°

6am Temps(not lows) in CT
UNION: 42°
GRANBY: 44°
NORFOLK: 45°
FALLS VILLAGE 45°
MANCHESTER: 47°
CANTON: 47°
DANBURY: 48°
NEW HARTFORD: 48°
MIDDLEFIELD: 48°
LEBANON: 48°
SHERMAN: 49°
BETHANY: 49°
HAMPTON: 49°
SCOTLAND: 49°
OAKDALE: 49°
ASHFORD: 49°

An overall look at the temps and the 850mb temps, 500mb Heights and Surface pressure

Old 06-20-2013, 04:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Whats up with the wild fires out west every year?? Imagine if we werent around to fight them? Why doesnt the East experience as much? Is it just because the Humidity is usually high in the East?

More homes evacuated after new Colorado wildfire | Fox News

The only thing I see out of this is the Ridge being more consistant in the West which tells me any heat the East gets might actually be temporary. We'll see.
Umm. Checking the precipitation totals will give a hint. Before us, forest fires happened regularly out west. Some trees actually are adapted to forest fires and require them for their seeds to come out. And on the west coast, the lack of rain during the hottest months, makes them more fire prone than otherwise.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And on the west coast, the lack of rain during the hottest months, makes them more fire prone than otherwise.

Thats pretty much going deeper to what I'm asking... why are they less prone to precip? Is it because we have Gulf and Atlantic moisture to work with? But why wouldnt they benefit from the West-East flow from the Pacific? I think it's strange how there's always less moisture out there.

On the topic, someone posted in the CT forum they are moving from San Diego to CT and what to expect. So of course I mentioned the weather and posted a climate comparison. Shockingly, they only get 10 inches of rain a year on average. We just got 10" in 2 weeks. LOL!! San Diego is on the coast, I dont get why such little rain.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Thats pretty much going deeper to what I'm asking... why are they less prone to precip? Is it because we have Gulf and Atlantic moisture to work with? But why wouldnt they benefit from the West-East flow from the Pacific? I think it's strange how there's always less moisture out there.

On the topic, someone posted in the CT forum they are moving from San Diego to CT and what to expect. So of course I mentioned the weather and posted a climate comparison. Shockingly, they only get 10 inches of rain a year on average. We just got 10" in 2 weeks. LOL!! San Diego is on the coast, I dont get why such little rain.
Could be permanent high pressure cells in the Pacific that shifts position every summer and winter? That's how it works in southern Europe, you have the Azores High affecting precipitation patterns in the Mediterranean. ENSO also affects the jet stream positioning on the west coast.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:38 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,970 times
Forecast chart for the weekend:

Old 06-20-2013, 05:42 AM

Temperature inversion shown with Mt Washington Auto road and a Sounding nearby. (temps increase with height)

Old 06-20-2013, 06:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:

That's a thread in itself, it's probably been discussed in one of the more geography related threads. I guess you're not as familiar with western climate as I thought.

So for Pacific Moisture, the west coast is under a strong semi-permament high pressure system that deflects storms and prevents convection (the summer sea temperatures are relatively cold for the latitude, too). In the winter, the high pressure weakens, and only exists to at most central California (sometimes not at all). In the summer, it often extends past the Canadian border to about 50°N. Precipitation is minimal along the coast in the summer, for San Diego it's nearly a costal desert. Everywhere on the west coast has a winter precipitation max. Since the summers are generally dry, much of the west coast is fire prone, though Central and Southern California the most.

When Pacific moisture does arrive, the mountain belts, particularly the Cascades and Sierra Nevada, wring out the moisture coming from the west, resulting in dry land to the east of the mountains. East of the Rockies, it gets wetter from Gulf of Mexico moisture. Check out this precipitation map of the US:

The Plains become wet close to the longitude where the Gulf of Mexico starts. You can see Salt Lake City is a drier version of a west coast climate (dry summers, wetter the rest of the year):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_City#Climate

Boulder on the other side of the Rockies has wetter summers than winters. There's no way it can get wet summers from the Pacific Ocean, almost nowhere on the west coast has summers that wet. It's getting influence from the Gulf of Mexico.

Boulder, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The west side of the Colorado Rockies get monsoonal midsummer moisture from the Gulf of California.

Last edited by nei; 06-20-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather