Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times

Advertisements

Oddly June 13th is unique here for being the only summer date never to have hit 30C anywhere in the country - that record is safe for another year as 19-20C looks like being tops for today. 17.4C here at 4pm, a little bit sub-par but better than the 13C we maxed at on Monday/Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Once again..midday and the NorthEast/New England below normal for the highs. Normal high is closer to upper 70s. Its mid June!

I was preaching for many months and finally it snapped. "the rubber band can only be stretched so far". The persistant heat had gone too far. What goes up must come down.

Current Radar, temps and 10m wind direction.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:11 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Once again..midday and the NorthEast/New England below normal for the highs. Normal high is closer to upper 70s. Its mid June!
Interestingly, your morning graph should much of New England having some of the warmest lows in the north.

Quote:
I was preaching for many months and finally it snapped. "the rubber band can only be stretched so far". The persistant heat had gone too far. What goes up must come down.
This weather is typical for a cloudy, rainy pattern. I don't think there's any physical basis to the idea that the climate has some kind of "restoring force". Would be interested in looking at data. I did for a few late winter/ early spring months. For short time scales, months are positively correlated (an above average month is likely to be followed by an above average month) while for longer timescales it washes away to something insignificant but not negative (a negative correlation would mean warm month = cool month months later). But it sounds like what you're saying is something different — that an extended warm spell is likely to be followed a cool spell months later. That would be harder to figure out, but there should be a way to test it.

In any case, after the clouds leave, the weather forecast is seasonable (highs in the high 70s and lows in the low to mid 50s). The recent below average weather has been brief; May has been above average:

Old 06-13-2012, 02:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Wow, I really enjoyed that post. Only thing is I didnt know where I was. Where were these taken? My favorite ones were:

Above and below "looking into NY State"
Above and below "Luckily no rain"

Thanks for sharing! I might have to myself now. :-)
Glad you liked them! The first 4 were in Easthampton, MA in the valley. Following photos were in hills to the west. The Anvil-shaped photo was just SW of Great Barrington. I was going to include a photo of Great Barrington but didn't since I had a lot of photos already. The tallest waterfall in Massachusetts is Bish-Bash Falls (60 feet), right on the MA-NY state border. My photo makes it look shorter than it really is as part of it is out of view. The rest are in NY state in a valley near the eastern state border. The 2nd to last photo of the train station has the train station location signed in the photo. Location of the last photo should be obvious, especially knowing where the 2nd to last photo is.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:26 PM

Default June 2012 Temperature Departure

Entire month of June has been below normal for the NorthEast..(exception for some local spots on long island, NJ, and along the great lakes)...Lets see if this can continue or if its "brief".

Maine, NH, Rhode Island, Virginia, West Virginia and even parts of Kentucky and North Carolina have been well below. Even Hartford, CT.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:30 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ok. The summer thread needs summer photos, and I'm sure you've all been waiting for another batch of my photos. While summer has the least distinctive landscapes (no budding flowers, snow or fall colors) of any season I tried to add some weather-related photos so it fits the forum better.

Anyhow I did another long bike ride recently (similar to this post about half a week ago. Woke up a little after sunrise and was completely cloudy and fogged over. Fog started to lift a bit after I started riding around 7:30 AM.

from the same spot I also got a beautiful view of an abandoned (probably textiles) mill building:

another view of the same mountain:

valley fog still stuck around:

looking back at the valley after climbing into the hills. Fog leaves the valley last:

Nice lake:

Very windy up in the higher elevations:

Sky was getting me very worried. Anvil shape looked like there might be a thunderstorm:

Windy road:

The tallest waterfall in Massachusetts isn't very tall:

Looking into New York State:

Sky in New York State looked unfriendly:

Luckily, no rain.

Farm Country:

Train station. Bike path on other side of the fence.

The train station at the other end of the line was bigger and in a busier area:

Was standing around for a while waiting to meet someone, got bored and set the shutter to open for a while to see if I could catch the blur of people. A of couple people asked me to take their photos. Some people think it's neat to be photographed inside a train station.
Nice photos! I've been meaning to post some myself. Yesterday I went on a hike with a friend, but it was raining so we cut it short. Next time I go I'll have to take some pictures.

Another fine day here. Partly cloudy and 75 F with an occasional breeze.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:23 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
The first 13 days of summer in London have been truly awful. Average maximum of 16.4C which is over 1C cooler than the coldest June on record, 22 hours of sun (at this stage of the month we should have about 100 hours), and nearly 70mm of rain (double the monthly average).

Easily on course for the coldest, dullest and wettest June on record - it feels like a typical October or November.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 PM

559 posts, read 748,241 times
I'm enjoying the "cooler" weather while I can, because next Wednesday it's going to be back in the mid-80s. Well, at least it hasn't been 90 F+ yet like it was in June last year!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
I'm expecting up to an inch of rain over the next 48 hours or so. Everything is looking very lush indeed.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:33 AM

Current temp this morning for the NorthEast.. 40s will be possible next few mornings as Polar Air from the NorthEast ushers in. (never thought I'd be saying polar air in June this year)

NWS Albany: FOR TONIGHT LOWS WILL BE VERY SIMILAR TO THOSE EARLY THIS MORNING...GENERALLY RANGING FROM THE UPPER 30S TO
LOWER 50S.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather