Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 12:12 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times

Advertisements

I consider 30C hot, but don't consider -8C very cold.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:39 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
If it's 30°C+ here, even if we see such highs only 12 times per year on average, I won't say that it's hot because to me the word has a different meaning (mid-30s or more), and I don't find low 30s uncomfortable outdoors unless it's humid. Conversely, I won't call -8°C very cold even if it's about our average yearly low. To me, that's just plain cold. Paris just doesn't get very cold a single time on an average winter. I wouldn't call a 13°C night in Bangkok cold, even if it's very rare there.
You missed my point. I wasn't talking about personal preferences, but how usual such an occurence is a climate. I'm perfectly comfortable with 30C temps, but as I know that doesn't happen very often here, not even every year, I say it's hot. -8C isn't very cold indeed, but if it happens in April, I certainly think it's very cold for the season. So, statistically hot/cold, not personal hot/cold.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:23 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No, the temps don't change suddenly, but if August's high is 25C and September's 21C, the average high on 31 August should be somewhere between them. So, 22C is completely according to the average today. Not cool, not warm, average.
Ok, August average is 25.5°C, September's average 21.5°C, so if end of August is supposed to be exactly in-between it does a end August/early September temperature of 23.5°C (not 22°C, I do not know why you always try to diminish our temperatures...). 21°C would be 2.5°C below average, that's cooler than our average, the same way 26°C would be 2,5°C above the average and I would consider it a warm temperature for this time of year. I don't understand what is your problem with that.

Quote:
I don't think most French people wear long sleeves at 21C or think it's cool. France isn't in the tropics, though you want to give that impression.
If I'd have 21°C in winter that's would be avery warm temperature, but it isn't in summer, except if one's live in western Coast of Britanny or along the Normand coast where those temperatures are about their average for summer.

France (excepted some oversea regions) has obviously nothing tropical, I don't see your point here. Being warmer than many parts of northern Europe doesn't mean that a place is tropical, where are you taking this from?

Quote:
And it isn't about "right", it is that 2-3C degrees below or above normal highs happen all the time in every country.
OK, so it shoul be forbidden to call "cool" when we have 3°C below and "warm" when it is 3°C above.
To me "cool" doesn't mean "cold", neither "warm" would mean "hot"...

Quote:
You make it sound that it would be unseasonably cool, though it isn't.
you over-interpret this that way I fear.

Quote:
And you keep correcting other people that they shouldn't think temp X is cool because of their averages. Are you the only one who have the "right" to say it's cool?
Could you tell me why you "fall on me" me when I tell that I feel 3°C or 4°C below my average is "cool", and in the same time don't do it with others that say that their average is "cool". You seem be be selectively schocked...

Quote:
MeteoMan or dean york certainly don't have that right in your opinion.
Sure they have this right. If Meteoman says that a high of 15°C is "cool" he has that right, I won't bother him on that as you do with me.

Quote:
If something happens twice a year, it's definitely not normal, it's a rare occurence.
In Tours, summer highs below 21°C happen once or twice during July and August. Its rare enough for I have the right of considering this cool.
Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de Tours (37)
Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de Tours (37)

Quote:
as the vast majority of days during the year is below 21C in Tours.
What I say is relative to the season. We are in summer, yes, 21°C in summer in Tours is "cool", for the simple reason that the very huge majority of the days are warmer than that.

Quote:
The problem is not your climate, current conditions nor my climate, it is that your only agenda on the weather forums seems to be that you bash UK:s climate (and others), while making Central France's climate appear something that it ain't. Therefore, you're annoying and a liar. Places like Alsace, Picardy, Normandy, Brittany etc are gloomy hellholes, deal with it.
Your problem is misinterpretations about others you make folowing your own agendas: Making all climates classified as "oceanic" as having summers gloomy, ever cloudy, rainny hellholes and cool... You still have lot to learn about french climates I fear.

I always posted the exact correct temperatures, using only the official station figure, precicing everytime the hour of the day. I'm sorry if those figures did not fit the preconcived ideas you seemed to have about the Loire valley weather...

Old 08-31-2013, 01:32 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
7.31 am

-1C/30F, Forecast high of 15C/59F

84% RH

Clear and calm.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:34 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,806,576 times
13.5C @ 21:33

partly cloudy

Old 08-31-2013, 01:34 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,509,349 times
100 in Midtown Memphis! Somehow KMEM is one of the cooler spots in the metro, currently at 94. It's about 95 in my area at Olive Branch.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:49 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,215,272 times
@1:48 pm 20C

I am in 7th heaven!

Old 08-31-2013, 01:59 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
text
I haven't played down a single climate that I can't prove statistically, nor will I do so in the future. I just don't like people not being honest, or who are trying to make their climate appear better compared to another place, like the UK, while playing up their climate.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:22 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,801 times
Quote:
I haven't played down a single climate that I can't prove statistically, nor will I do so in the future. I just don't like people not being honest, or who are trying to make their climate appear better compared to another place, like the UK, while playing up their climate.

Can you tell me why I'm not honest, please.

What can I say for you to be seem honest? Saying that a temperature is "cool" only it more than 5 degrees below the average? or that it is warm only if a temperature is 5 degrees above? Where is the limit that would please you? Should it be 10 degrees? or 15?

If you don't like people not honest, so do apply the same treatment to every people, not only on me, that's not honest to use the "two weights, two mesures" system...

I'm not the one here who is always trying to make France having northern British-like conditions, or Britain seem to have french-like climatical conditions, which is not the case (that neither a bad or good thing actually), despite what your preconcieved ideas seems to be. I'm not obsessed by Britain at all, really don't see where you are getting that delusion. I find weird your atempt to defend the british climate when you've been at numerous times criticizing and caricaturing all oceanic climates as if they had all cool, cloudy, rainly summers. I remind you are from Finland, you're not in the best situation to do that, be honest yourself before criticizing others!

Old 08-31-2013, 02:27 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
12.2c @ 21:27.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather