Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 07:32 AM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times

Advertisements

Another look at temperature anomalies for next Thursday

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 08:00 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
More snow tonight . Dear god I am done with snowy weather. I like moderate amounts of snow, but this is just way too extreme. Hope a good amount of it melts. Freezing temperatures must be done by April and 50's should return.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:51 AM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
A couple things within the posts were wrong but the overall idea has been dead on based solely on observations at that time. Pretty amazing we got this NorEaster within my "peak" range.

January 10th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
So I think Jan 20 to end of February becomes active again with the Jan26-Feb15 period the peak).

January 29th

Quote:
Those in the East expecting a warm pattern, early Spring, or a snowless February might be disappointed.

The key is whats happening in the Pacific and with this loop... Will have more to say by the weekend.
Long January 30th post.

Quote:
Ok.. so continuing with the cold/stormy period we're in, looking ahead past mid February now.

So yes, Status Quo.

Bottom line... February is going to be stormy with snow, ice, and rain.
January 31st.

Quote:
Euro long range ensembles that just came out today. Looks like they agree with me for February. Cool/Cold and Stormy. Sharpen those shovels!

Anyone north of Georgia is in the game all month. Mostly north of Virginia.

So now I wait and see. Pattern should start to change soon after the next couple snowfalls. I think most of us will like and appreciate March.. More on that in a couple weeks.

3rd snowiest February in 10 days time here(BDR) and possibly 1st snowiest with tomorrows snow. Amazing.

Last edited by Cambium; 02-14-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 02-14-2014, 11:22 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,161,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Which is more representative of DC or the DC area in general? Dulles or Reagan International? Either way it's not like Skilling used incorrect snow data. Did he?

Btw,

I found this article

Should Reagan National Airport remain Washington, D.C.’s official weather station? - Capital Weather Gang - The Washington Post

We too have a debate about where the official station in Chicago should be. Most feel that O'Hare is more similar to the Northwest suburbs. Midway is more "city".
I've read that post of Samenow's.

The snow data Skilling used for IAD was not incorrect. I've read that one, and I claim neither IAD (frost hollow, snowier than, say, southern MD suburbs such as Prince George's, Charles, Calvert counties etc.) nor DCA (right by the Potomac and less snowy than N+W suburbs) is representative of the DC area as a whole. DCA's UHI/location east of the Piedmont is of course much more representative of DC than IAD, while for my home in Loudoun County near IAD, IAD is closer to me.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:30 AM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Do any of you know why I get a lot of blue sky days after a snowfall. It's like clockwork here. I would think the coast would have more cloudy days but maybe that's in the summer more?

It's kind of annoying in the winter to keep seeing the sun after snow. But it does help dry the roads quicker. Also, those rare days of fluff snow are behind me. I don't think I'll see that again for a long long time. Temps are usually in the 20s & 30s with snow here, not teens and snow like in January. I remember how much I hate cement snow. :-(

Anyway... here's a comparison photo of my backyard today (blue skies) and Summer.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:25 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
It feels nice today, despite the wind. It's currently in the low 40's with sunshine. I'm sick of the snow though, it'd be nice if we can get a string of days in the 60's and 70's to melt it all.

I don't know how people manage to live in places with a guaranteed snowpack, the sight of snow is just irritating at this point.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:28 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Do any of you know why I get a lot of blue sky days after a snowfall. It's like clockwork here. I would think the coast would have more cloudy days but maybe that's in the summer more?

It's kind of annoying in the winter to keep seeing the sun after snow. But it does help dry the roads quicker. Also, those rare days of fluff snow are behind me. I don't think I'll see that again for a long long time. Temps are usually in the 20s & 30s with snow here, not teens and snow like in January. I remember how much I hate cement snow. :-(

Anyway... here's a comparison photo of my backyard today (blue skies) and Summer.
I must admit America does have a massive transition between Winter and Summer. Would be nice, but I feel that America's winter is not long enough.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:46 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
It feels nice today, despite the wind. It's currently in the low 40's with sunshine. I'm sick of the snow though, it'd be nice if we can get a string of days in the 60's and 70's to melt it all.

I don't know how people manage to live in places with a guaranteed snowpack, the sight of snow is just irritating at this point.

Agreed. It is always nice when it is the fluffy very white variety right after the event. It all goes downhill after that with the melting and then the hard rock brown piles. I wouldn't mind a day of nice snowpack and then melt it all away the next day.

The sun is so strong now that even if it is cold it does a lot of melting. Winter is on its last legs. Even if March is below normal, it will never be as cold as Jan or Feb.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:

If you're upstate NY, often it clouds over right after a snowstorm. I assume the front clears the skies here.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:17 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times
The first half of February is history, and the stats are not too good.

We have just hit 100mm / 4" rain for the month (300 / 12") for the year, nearly the entire month's average, and the average pressure so far is just 982mb, 29.0" of mercury (avg is 1013 / 29.9"). What a soggy ol' month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather