Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:03 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
At least you get RAIN in summer. Where I live, the only clouds we see for 3-4 months are the morning marine layer. Weather forecast could be copied and pasted from May through September- Morning low clouds and fog burning off to the immediate coast by midday. Highs in the 60s at the coast, 70s around the Bay, 80s inland, lower 90s far inland. The only cool thing is during heat waves where it's like 100 F in San Jose, I can drive to the coast for some pleasant 70s weather. The water is still too cold to swim.

I've been to Honolulu and really enjoyed swimming in the warm water beaches. I am taking a trip to Florida in September and look forward to swimming in warm beaches there too.
Actually we don't get much rain in the summer. Most of the rain falls here in the winter. And the rainfall varies greatly depending on where on the island you are. Windward sides of the island and areas near the mountains receive the most rainfall while the leeward sides receive a lot less. And the weather is like that the whole year, NOTHING CHANGES. At least S.F. has a greater temperature variation than Honolulu. I've always said Hawaii is great if you're on vacation, a kid (up to 18 years age), or retired, but if you're any age in between, it's expensive, boring, isolated and you can feel trapped if you don't have money to move or travel a lot. I guess if you love the outdoors and like going to the beach every weekend, Hawaii can be great but really you'd be surprised at the amount of people that don't like living in Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:11 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I just came back from a vacation to Honolulu several weeks ago and absolutely loved the weather there. It wasn't too hot for me at all. I hiked up to the top of diamond head and hardly sweat at all due to the cool ocean breezes. I would so love to live in Honolulu one day and watching their weather forecasts was making me giddy with happiness. I couldn't ever get bored as I would be so joyful that it never got cold.
Well I actually don't have a problem with sunny warm weather, it's the fact that it never changes that I don't like. I sweat every day just getting lunch and it's not comfortable. I guess everyone has their own idea of what perfect weather is. I lived in Bellingham, WA for a couple of years and loved the weather there and never got tired of it. I'd also love to live in Vancouver if I could get a job there. It's a beautiful city and since I'm not a beach person, I wouldn't miss Hawaii. Ah, why is the grass always greener on the other side of the fence?

Old 08-26-2013, 03:33 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I just came back from a vacation to Honolulu several weeks ago and absolutely loved the weather there. It wasn't too hot for me at all. I hiked up to the top of diamond head and hardly sweat at all due to the cool ocean breezes. I would so love to live in Honolulu one day and watching their weather forecasts was making me giddy with happiness. I couldn't ever get bored as I would be so joyful that it never got cold.
Second that. We must have been over there about the same time (we departed just as Hurricane Flossy made landfall).

However I am lucky though as my climate ticks plenty of boxes for me (and has been pretty good lately!). Since arriving back on 1st August, Brisbane has had very sunny and pleasant conditions.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:16 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
I don't like sunny hot weather because my skin burns in it and I hate being sweaty!

Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Just saw the local news here in Tallahassee talking about the 7 day forecast, long story short the forecast was showing highs between 91-94 all week long and lows in the 70s, and the meteorologist on TV was describing it as "pleasant weather to be outside all week" , really? Because 93 with a heat index probably in the 100-105 range is SUCH pleasant weather right? These are the same people that when it's 50 degrees they say it's too cold
People seem to have a kneejerk attitude that equates hot with good and cold with bad, not sure why that is as i feel more comfortable in cold weather than hot muggy weather. That said i'm one of the rare few as i read all the time of people moving to Florida because they cant stand the cold anymore.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:57 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Just saw the local news here in Tallahassee talking about the 7 day forecast, long story short the forecast was showing highs between 91-94 all week long and lows in the 70s, and the meteorologist on TV was describing it as "pleasant weather to be outside all week" , really? Because 93 with a heat index probably in the 100-105 range is SUCH pleasant weather right? These are the same people that when it's 50 degrees they say it's too cold
There is a big-time media bias towards heat and against wintry weather, as I have stated previously:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
The media are very annoying when they promote heat and sunshine, and sometimes it's so annoying I actually shut the TV off. Such as saying a 85F day with sunshine and high humidity is "so beautiful", or going on and on about how "nice" the warm/hot/sunny weather is, or casually remarking how "miserable" the snow is or how snow melting is "good news". I could mention more examples, but you get the picture. I don't need some news anchor from Ohio or Florida to tell me what I should think about the weather - if they didn't give their personal opinions so much they might be able to fit in some more weather reporting.

About pet peeves, one gem I remember from a few years ago is "very warm" being used to describe temperatures in the upper 90's. Another one is the many times I've heard "an outbreak of bitter, bitter cold" or even "brutal cold poised to strike"* - when I hear that I would expect -20F to be coming at the mildest - but when they show the maps all that I see over most of the cold outbreak area is 20's (above zero) .

*That's a paraphrasing of many similar phrases I've seen and heard; I've never encountered those exact words

It would be far better and more appropriate if they adopted a neutral point of view about the weather, instead of telling us how good, bad, beautiful, or miserable it is. Such a policy of just describing the weather and any damage it inflicts can't possibly be too hard to implement.
Although I will say that the Florida heat bias is more extreme than anything I've seen myself, but I don't live in Florida. The 50F is too cold thing is especially ridiculous.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:31 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times

Old 08-26-2013, 06:33 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,820,528 times
Quote:
They glorify hot weather because it is relaxing, comfortable, and it makes you feel good. And 50 degrees borders on being too cold, but I tolerate cold down to 30.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:45 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,970,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
They glorify hot weather because it is relaxing, comfortable, and it makes you feel good. And 50 degrees borders on being too cold, but I tolerate cold down to 30.
30 is pleasant sunny and calm, and I don't live in Canada or Siberia.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Well I actually don't have a problem with sunny warm weather, it's the fact that it never changes that I don't like. I sweat every day just getting lunch and it's not comfortable. I guess everyone has their own idea of what perfect weather is. I lived in Bellingham, WA for a couple of years and loved the weather there and never got tired of it. I'd also love to live in Vancouver if I could get a job there. It's a beautiful city and since I'm not a beach person, I wouldn't miss Hawaii. Ah, why is the grass always greener on the other side of the fence?
See me, I would LOVE that it never changes. I despise any kind of change really. Despise it. I don't even like my Firefox browser nagging me to update, to me, that should happen--oh, maybe once every 4-5 years. Regarding the weather, I absolutely DEPLORE spring-time with all the ups & down every other day. When it's now to where the norm is 70, it should be 70, not 50 one day and 90 the next, followed by ice storms one day and 85 degree temps 2 days later. To me such weather is borderline evil.

The people who live in Hawaii who hate it--what is WRONG with them? I would KILL for such weather. I The thing is, besides not liking a lot of changes, I also don't like extremes, hot or cold, but cold especially. Cold weather makes my fingers get stiff, but hot weather as in 95'F or so is awful too. The trouble is, if you hate extreme heat, most places that only get up to 85-90'F have very cold winters, and vice versa. There are places that only get up to 85'F or so in the summer and never any colder than say 55'-60'F in the winter, but they are EXPENSIVE to live in & crowded with way too many people to where you're secretly wishing that a meteorite would hit the area while you happened to be out of town & you could come back to an area not so stinking full of too many other people.

My wish-list--I want it to max out at 85'F in the summer AND get no colder than 50-55'F or so in the winter AND not be expensive to live in AND not be crowded AND not have any bugs AND be sunny AND nonetheless STILL have plenty of water for the creeks & such despise the low levels of rain AND there be no volcanoes AND there be no risk of wildfires AND there be no risk of tornadoes AND there be no risk of hurricanes AND fast food places not be 35 miles away.

ALL of it. Every last bit. ALL of it.

No, I'm not asking for a lot, ha ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather