Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How warm must it at least be?
Warm summers with no variable snowpack in winter 33 19.64%
Hot summers with no variable snowpack in winter 50 29.76%
Chilly winters and warm summers 15 8.93%
Chilly winters and hot summers 29 17.26%
Not any of the above (please explain) 41 24.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:08 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
It's the same in palestine. Most cities are not far from the coast so they are fairly humid also. When I was there though despite temps in the upper 80s it still felt more comfortable than here in the summertime. Biggest thing you will notice when you come back in the summer time is the humidity. Remember getting home in August and the second I stepped out of the plane It was like I walked into a furnace and sauna at the same time. Massive different between what I felt there and here. Most humid place on earth I have been was Bahrain in late may, insane humidity there. Remember it being 90 something degrees at 10 at night, the humidity stung with those temps, instant sweat, during the day it's even worse.

But the winter in Palestine and Greece (Crete and the islands) is far far better in winter, and you can grow tons more stuff than in the Southeast except maybe extreme southern FL. Even New Orleans can't grow what they can on Crete I am sure.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post

I've spent numerous summers in Greece while visiting family and despite not having visiting the northern part of Greece (the farthest north I've been was Mt. Olympus), I've spent a lot of time in the Athens area, Peloponnese and at 6 islands, including Crete (my favorite because of the Theophrasti palms )

Would Cretan date palms survive in Columbia? What zone are you in cause I heard they are hardy to 8a. I thought I saw pictures you posted once on the forum of large Butia in Columbia.

What would be really cool if you did a palm safari around Columbia and posted some pics for us. Didn't you used to do palm hunting trips around your area? I'd like to see what Columbia looks like in winter, and also what kinds of subtropical stuff is growing around there.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:29 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,275,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
It's the same in palestine. Most cities are not far from the coast so they are fairly humid also. When I was there though despite temps in the upper 80s it still felt more comfortable than here in the summertime. Biggest thing you will notice when you come back in the summer time is the humidity. Remember getting home in August and the second I stepped out of the plane It was like I walked into a furnace and sauna at the same time. Massive different between what I felt there and here. Most humid place on earth I have been was Bahrain in late may, insane humidity there. Remember it being 90 something degrees at 10 at night, the humidity stung with those temps, instant sweat, during the day it's even worse.
Oh my god, I had the EXACT same experience when I came back from Greece in 2012. I stepped off the plane in early evening and as soon as I came to the opening of the door from the plane I was immediately "embraced" by this warm blanket of humidity. It almost shocked me. I believe I made a Facebook post at the time recalling this experience. It was a bit odd, but I knew I was home once I felt that.

Bahrain, wow. I'm sure the heat there is unbearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Would Cretan date palms survive in Columbia? What zone are you in cause I heard they are hardy to 8a. I thought I saw pictures you posted once on the forum of large Butia in Columbia.

What would be really cool if you did a palm safari around Columbia and posted some pics for us. Didn't you used to do palm hunting trips around your area? I'd like to see what Columbia looks like in winter, and also what kinds of subtropical stuff is growing around there.
I have no idea if they would survive here. I've seen them rated as 8B. There is someone on another palm board that has one in ground right next to his house. He lives in Summerville, I believe. So he's an 8B. I have one specimen that I bought from someone in Orangeburg (he was basically giving it away since he was moving to the Azores). He'd grown it from seed and I think it' safe to say it's starting to trunk. It's still in a pot and I'm waiting till I purchase a house till I put it in ground (I'm staying with parents currently and saving, I refuse to pay a mortgage!).

When I was in Crete, I managed to make the trek to the natural forest of Phoenix Theophrasti. I gathered a bunch of seeds and they germinated easily. I have about 15 seedlings now that survived the transplant from the zip-lock bag to the mini-tree pots.

We're a solid 8A here in the suburbs. Only would downtown Columbia be an 8B but I think even then it's a cold 8B.

There are some truly impressive butias here. I still have a dozen or so photos I haven't posted yet from late February showing my favorite palms in the downtown area. When I have time I'm going to post them on the hardy board. If you ever drive through Columbia let me know and I can give you a tour around town. I'll even gift you a theophrasti seedling, since I have no idea what I'm going to do with 15 Lol

Old 03-22-2016, 08:59 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
l I'll even gift you a theophrasti seedling, since I have no idea what I'm going to do with 15 Lol
I'll take one if you got any spares. Are you going to be near Motueka over Easter?

Old 03-22-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Oh my god, I had the EXACT same experience when I came back from Greece in 2012. I stepped off the plane in early evening and as soon as I came to the opening of the door from the plane I was immediately "embraced" by this warm blanket of humidity. It almost shocked me. I believe I made a Facebook post at the time recalling this experience. It was a bit odd, but I knew I was home once I felt that.

Bahrain, wow. I'm sure the heat there is unbearable.

I have no idea if they would survive here. I've seen them rated as 8B. There is someone on another palm board that has one in ground right next to his house. He lives in Summerville, I believe. So he's an 8B. I have one specimen that I bought from someone in Orangeburg (he was basically giving it away since he was moving to the Azores). He'd grown it from seed and I think it' safe to say it's starting to trunk. It's still in a pot and I'm waiting till I purchase a house till I put it in ground (I'm staying with parents currently and saving, I refuse to pay a mortgage!).

When I was in Crete, I managed to make the trek to the natural forest of Phoenix Theophrasti. I gathered a bunch of seeds and they germinated easily. I have about 15 seedlings now that survived the transplant from the zip-lock bag to the mini-tree pots.

We're a solid 8A here in the suburbs. Only would downtown Columbia be an 8B but I think even then it's a cold 8B.

There are some truly impressive butias here. I still have a dozen or so photos I haven't posted yet from late February showing my favorite palms in the downtown area. When I have time I'm going to post them on the hardy board. If you ever drive through Columbia let me know and I can give you a tour around town. I'll even gift you a theophrasti seedling, since I have no idea what I'm going to do with 15 Lol

Well if you look only at 1990 onwards for the weather station at University of S Carolina, the avg lowest temp is around 18-20F.

If you look at Columbia Owens Airport, the lowest temp from 1990 onwards is 16F, and Columbia Metro Airport is also 16F. I think the area is an 8b with maybe some suburbs strong 8a. Downtown and the city looks like since 1990 almost 9a or strong 8b. If people grow silver date palm there it would indicate a decent 8b.

Are you warmer or colder than Augusta, GA normally? I visited a palm grower in Augusta that had some beautiful stuff growing there in Jan of this year.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Well if you look only at 1990 onwards for the weather station at University of S Carolina, the avg lowest temp is around 18-20F.

If you look at Columbia Owens Airport, the lowest temp from 1990 onwards is 16F, and Columbia Metro Airport is also 16F. I think the area is an 8b with maybe some suburbs strong 8a. Downtown and the city looks like since 1990 almost 9a or strong 8b. If people grow silver date palm there it would indicate a decent 8b.

Are you warmer or colder than Augusta, GA normally? I visited a palm grower in Augusta that had some beautiful stuff growing there in Jan of this year.
I can agree with that assessment. The airport is kind of southwest of the city and very flat, which makes for a perfect cold sink. But it certainly isn't colder than areas north of the city. The zoo (Riverbanks Zoo) is in a great area as well. They were growing a trunking Livistona Decora at one point, although I'm not sure if it made it since I haven't been able to locate it at their botanical garden. I've sent e-mails to the director the botanical garden but haven't gotten a response.

You're not talking about Joe LeVert are you? He has some great palms. I'd say Augusta is certainly warmer than Columbia's suburbs. Although, between downtown Columbia and Augusta it's anyones guess. Augusta is situated in a great area right near the river, so plenty of neat microclimates. Are there a bunch of palms in Augusta?

Old 03-24-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I'll take one if you got any spares. Are you going to be near Motueka over Easter?
Not this Easter, but maybe the week after

Old 03-24-2016, 07:11 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
Quote:
Doesn't the much further south extent of ice sheets verify that North America was colder during the last ice age? That map you posted shows just how extreme again North America is compared to the rest of the world. Nothing changes with this geography we have.
This map forgets the Alps though. Where I grew up the landscape has moraines left by the Alpine icecap.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:34 AM

108 posts, read 98,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Northern Mexico is desert though, so Texas has more influence from dry air.
I found that they have a name for the summer dryness in South Texas/Northern Mexico coast; they call it "La Canicula." Basically, every summer, a high pressure ridge sets up over the South Central US plains, SW US, and Northern Mexico, causing a "dry out." However, by August 10 or so, the ridge elongates in a way that opens Gulf air into South Texas, allowing for an late August-October rainy peak.

Even when South Texas isn't affected by this ridge, they just don't get rain; the air-flow isn't favorable (winds can come only from the east to bring in summer rain in Brownsville). Thus, the conditions aren't deathly hot, but still have quite a bit of aridity; this is similar to oceanic arid places like Aruba, or Dakar in Senegal.

Houston/SE Texas is typically south and/or east of this ridge, so disturbances/troughs are able to swing through the ridge, and bring sea-breeze summer rains all season, without the distinct dry out seen in much of the rest of the state.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:41 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,507,696 times
* All months above 2 C in all times.
* Any climate with no month below 12 C (subtropical highland climates can fit into this).
* Warmest month above 17 C if coldest month above 10 C but below 12 C.
* Warmest month above 20 C if coldest month above 6 C but below 10 C.
* Warmest month above 22 C if coldest month above 2 C but below 6 C.
* Any month of the year below 18 C as long as warmest month being below 22 C some highland or ultra-maritime 'tropical' climates are better within this type.

By adjusting requirements reflexively between summers and winters it creates a flexible definition, where both climates that lack cold and quasi-continental climates that qualify through summer heat. Although not perfect (there is no perfect definition) I think this one really catches reality and how it really looks.

Needless to say the word 'below' is used strictly as a minimum requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather