Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 06:24 PM

330 posts, read 1,084,728 times

Advertisements

A couple inches once or twice a year wont bother me in Atlanta. Plus it melts away in a couple days, my friend lives there and sends me pics all the time. Right now in Syracuse we have had snow on the ground since late November and it will be several more weeks to a month before this all melts away.

In Atlanta I can work all year long outside and only put up with a few days here and there of bad weather. The average highs dont get below 50 so how bad can it be. I have heard Atlanta has one of the best all around climates in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 07:23 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
44 years of this and Im done! I use to ski and snowmobile when I was in my teens and early 20s but I am at the point that I do not want to even go outside anymore in the winter.

It doesnt help that we average 120 inches of snow here in Syracuse and I am sick and tired of it! It is downright dangerous to try and get around in the snow. Just walking to your vehicle you have to be super careful that you dont slip and fall on the ice, and this is EVERYDAY all winter! Not just a day here or there. I am on a mission to move to a warmer climate down south.

Anyone else had enough of it?

I said that for many years.
After 66 winters in central MN I sold my dairy farm to my son and moved 870 miles south to a milder 4 season climate in the Ozarks of northern Arkansas.

Despite knowing no one here, I have never regretted my decision.

I will be driving back to MN to visit family in April................IF.......the snow is all gone by then.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:27 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I said that for many years.
After 66 winters in central MN I sold my dairy farm to my son and moved 870 miles south to a milder 4 season climate in the Ozarks of northern Arkansas.
Doesn't look a whole lot better tonight!

Old 03-02-2014, 07:35 PM

698 posts, read 959,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If you think walking on snow or ice is dangerous, then get a snow blower and a bag of ice melt. Problem taken care of
When you get 120 inches of snow for the season it's difficult to stay ahead of the hard packed snow and ice. Might be able to achieve a clean sidewalk/driveway in your own yard but getting around town is a challenge.

To the OP, March is THE most difficult month! hang in there, spring is coming.

Come on down to FL, it's 80 already

Old 03-02-2014, 07:44 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Doesn't look a whole lot better tonight!
but our wintry weather in Arkansas only lasts for a couple days.

Yesterday I went on my walk here and we were at 57
It was -8. with a wind chill of -26 back at my former MN farm ...............at 2 in the afternoon.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:45 PM

330 posts, read 1,084,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
When you get 120 inches of snow for the season it's difficult to stay ahead of the hard packed snow and ice. Might be able to achieve a clean sidewalk/driveway in your own yard but getting around town is a challenge.

To the OP, March is THE most difficult month! hang in there, spring is coming.

Come on down to FL, it's 80 already
Agree about the hard pack snow and ice, most of what Im talking about is not in my own driveway its at the grocery store or mall parking lot. They do the best they can with plowing and salt but below 15degrees the salt doesnt work well and we have spent most of this winter under that temp!

I do see that the warmer weather is on the 30 day accuweather forecast but I need to make plans not to be here next winter.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,360 times
VTGal.. I think other southern climes than SoFla would be preferable for the Hardy Northern Snow-Bawler to migrate to.
It is too hot here in Delray Beach... and as a previous poster said, it's GODAWFUL HUMID and frankly UNBEARABLE down here in summer... not fit for human habitation!

There. I've said it.
So go someplace else and let us Sweat-Soaked Snow-No-Mores alone!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:55 PM

698 posts, read 959,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
Agree about the hard pack snow and ice, most of what Im talking about is not in my own driveway its at the grocery store or mall parking lot. They do the best they can with plowing and salt but below 15degrees the salt doesnt work well and we have spent most of this winter under that temp!
Right, that was what I meant. It's dangerous getting around in that stuff. I remember always being afraid I was going to fall and break something. Luckily I never did.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:07 AM

167 posts, read 310,767 times
I agree South Jersey, Delaware is nice still have a change in season. We are getting ready to retire and would like a little warmer than that but we want to be able to get back to NJ. An 8 -12 hour drive. Thinking cheap condo in NJ near family so we don't have to stay with family and not as cheap place in Virginia, may be North Carolina area (that may be to far but I like it better). Don't know if that dream is possible anymore because this everlasting recession is wiping us out financially.

We tired of the snow, we are way up north Jersey but today South Jersey is getting 6-10 inches and we have 0. That happens more often than I would have thought. Twice this year but we still get a lot more total and it lasts a lot longer.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:17 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,235 times
The Carolinas aren't bad, either. I just recently moved to Pennsylvania from Winston-Salem, NC (just in time for the worst winter EVER in my life) and I can't figure out how I ever survived these brutal northern winters (I lived in Rochester for awhile, just one city over from Syracuse).

The Piedmont area of North Carolina (Winston-Salem/Greensboro/Raleigh) is actually quite mild without losing all four seasons. It isn't uncommon to be coat-less as late as Thanksgiving, and by March, the trees are budding. Winters are brief and the weather is very stable.

My old forum had a weather discussion board, too, and people wondered why I never posted there. I told them it's because where I live in NC, there is no weather. Just sunshsine and clear skies all the time. There can be a few scorchers in the summer, but that's a better deal than having all of your plans dependent on the weather for 6 months out of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather