Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,573,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post

One thing I am furious about though, is the decision to scrap maintenance grants to students from familys with low incomes, instead reintroducing them as loans We used to have cheap, world class higher education... slowly it is becoming more like the US model, which is not good at all
That's why I'm hating most European politicians right now, just because they want to change everything to the US model by destroying the European way of life and hence our beautiful continent.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:31 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
That's why I'm hating most European politicians right now, just because they want to change everything to the US model by destroying the European way of life and hence our beautiful continent.
I agree. There are very few things about the modern US that Europe should try to emulate. Certainly not the US economic model.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:55 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
A few generations outside of Europe do not compare to the tens of thousands of years of evolution that have made the European people as we are today.

Dunno, I couldn't care less what liberals see me as. Of course I am an American, too. But liberals have no concept of heritage.
It has nothing to do with being a liberal - you're just an American. Nobody in Europe, whether liberal or conservative, considers you European.

No, most of us do not put any emphasis on heritage. Only children of immigrants are particularly bothered by that.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Well, our chancellor George Osbourne just brought out our new budget today.. to be honest it is not as bad as I was expecting..

Current minimum wage is £6.50/hour for over 21s, that will rise to £6.70 next April, and generally it rises about 15p/year. However, he has introduced a national 'working wage' which means that from that start of next April, the minimum wage will be £7.50/hour for people aged 25+, rising to £9/hour by 2019 (so about $15/hour)

I'm torn by that, as he has cut tax credits for working people, but on the other hand it means that businesses will pick up that cost and have to pay people more..

One thing I am furious about though, is the decision to scrap maintenance grants to students from familys with low incomes, instead reintroducing them as loans We used to have cheap, world class higher education... slowly it is becoming more like the US model, which is not good at all
We have a rise in minimum wage but with cuts to tax credits and other benefits, it won't matter at all for the poorest workers. Most people in this country forget that most welfare claimants are in employment, but need something extra to supplement their income just to survive.

And the 'living wage' only applies to the over 25s. Why is this government so harsh on young people? They need a living wage too.

Unfortunately, people who claim welfare are demonised and seen as scroungers, so nobody cares about them.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It has nothing to do with being a liberal - you're just an American. Nobody in Europe, whether liberal or conservative, considers you European.

No, most of us do not put any emphasis on heritage. Only children of immigrants are particularly bothered by that.
It doesn't even matter how many people do or don't consider European-Americans (or Euro-descended Canadians, Australians, etc.) European. Those who don't are obviously influenced by liberalism and/or civic nationalism.

European blood cannot magically disappear if Europeans leave Europe and have children amongst themselves in North America, Australia, Africa, Asia, or even Mars.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:09 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
Quote:
We have a rise in minimum wage but with cuts to tax credits and other benefits, it won't matter at all for the poorest workers. Most people in this country forget that most welfare claimants are in employment, but need something extra to supplement their income just to survive.

And the 'living wage' only applies to the over 25s. Why is this government so harsh on young people? They need a living wage too.

Unfortunately, people who claim welfare are demonised and seen as scroungers, so nobody cares about them.
I agree. Why can't this 'living wage' introduction apply as the minimum wage? Younger people are more likely to be earning the minimum wage, and a £9 minimum wage would be very good, probably the highest in the world I think? That would allow the government to use these tax credit cuts, by putting the cost towards businesses instead - that I wouldn't mind so much. Instead we just have young people being penalised once again.. young people need the money the most, how on earth are we supposed to get on the housing ladder? I'll never know..

Old 07-08-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
It doesn't even matter how many people do or don't consider European-Americans (or Euro-descended Canadians, Australians, etc.) European. Those who don't are obviously influenced by liberalism and/or civic nationalism.

European blood cannot magically disappear if Europeans leave Europe and have children amongst themselves in North America, Australia, Africa, Asia, or even Mars.
Nobody cares. Move on.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Nobody cares. Move on.
Then why do you keep arguing with me about this? This argument started when that other poster claimed I wasn't European. Obviously, I am proud of my European heritage, so I will respond to such things.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:24 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Yes US has a horrible university fee and loan system.. I don't know why our government is trying to scare away potential students here!

Old 07-08-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Yes US has a horrible university fee and loan system..
That's true. I really hate this country sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather