Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 06:51 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
At the moment I have a sim card only deal with my phone that I bought outright.. for £9/month I get unlimited texts, unlimited data, 500 minutes, unlimited calls to other Virgin mobiile phones which is pretty good I think. Contracts in the US seem similar to ours then, or maybe even a little more expensive
Its more expensive but they get more.

Your Plan
$60 Monthly
Nationwide Calls
Unlimited
Nationwide Messaging
Unlimited
International Text
Unlimited
From U.S. to Mexico, Canada & over 100 countries
Data
2.5 GB
Add more:1GB-$10
Wi-Fi hotspot
capability enabled
Plan Details
Details

Rate plan charge will be automatically deducted every 30 days from your account balance. Nationwide long distance is included for all 50 states and Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, Mariana Islands. Directory Assistance is $1.99/call. Basic features included are: Caller Number ID, Basic/Visual Voice Mail, Three Way Calling, Call Waiting and Call Forwarding.

Data

Wi-fi hotspot capability enabled on this plan - if you have a capable smartphone, you can use it as a Wi-Fi hotspot to share your data with other devices such as laptops, tablets, and other phones. Unused data allotment included in this plan does not roll over. For additional data, buy a data package. Pay per use data is not available with this plan.

International

For an additional charge, you can roam in Mexico and Canada - click here for details or make international long distance calls from the U.S. to other countries - click here for details

nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Exactly.. but the prices are cheaper in America for the iPhone. Everything over there is cheaper by some amount..
Yes, but the difference that other smart phones aren't that cheaper than an iPhone on contract. But cell phone contracts are one of the few things that are more expensive.

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Quote:
Its £1.34 here.

The normal tax in Florida is 6% versus 20% here. In New Jersey it is 7% I think because thats what it says on the receipt from the airport.
Add to that road tax, getting an MOT once a year, and insurance which is also extortionate. Because I am a young male driver, if I was the first and only driver in this car, I would be lucky to pay less than £2,000/year for my insurance, despite the fact that I have had my license for 3 years, never had any accidents and am a safe driver..

Old 09-11-2014, 06:53 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Quote:
Its more expensive but they get more.

Your Plan
$60 Monthly
Nationwide Calls
Unlimited
Nationwide Messaging
Unlimited
International Text
Unlimited
From U.S. to Mexico, Canada & over 100 countries
Data
2.5 GB
Add more:1GB-$10
Wi-Fi hotspot
capability enabled
Plan Details
Details

Rate plan charge will be automatically deducted every 30 days from your account balance. Nationwide long distance is included for all 50 states and Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, Mariana Islands. Directory Assistance is $1.99/call. Basic features included are: Caller Number ID, Basic/Visual Voice Mail, Three Way Calling, Call Waiting and Call Forwarding.

Data

Wi-fi hotspot capability enabled on this plan - if you have a capable smartphone, you can use it as a Wi-Fi hotspot to share your data with other devices such as laptops, tablets, and other phones. Unused data allotment included in this plan does not roll over. For additional data, buy a data package. Pay per use data is not available with this plan.

International

For an additional charge, you can roam in Mexico and Canada - click here for details or make international long distance calls from the U.S. to other countries - click here for details
I never call anyone internationally, so that would just be an unwanted perk on my bill.. but I guess people in the US may have relatives in Mexico/Canada

Old 09-11-2014, 06:56 AM

I used it to call my parents etc.

Its going to deactivate soon though.. which is annoying because I have to reactivate another one.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:28 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Damn it I hate late night/early morning rain. Now soaking wet and shivering before even walking into my first class.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:32 AM

24 posts, read 18,762 times
Quote:
No i'm not getting the watch. I've had my iPhone 5 for two years now so I need to upgrade, i'll just get the cheapest one there is.

People keep going on about how 16gb is too little but um I have used very little of my memory, I am not an avid gamer so I don't actually care. OH and i'll be getting insurance too.
If you are not going to be doing anything except texting and browsing the net, why do you need the latest and greatest?

Quote:
I will be upgrading to the new Samsung galaxy soon, Android is far superior, their phones are cheaper and I like their appearance. 16gb is more than enough..

The cost of petrol in this country is beyond ridiculous. Have to go and fill up the car soon and it will cost £60 at least
Fuel prices vary between $1.30 and 1.50 here so a full 60 liter tank for me would be $78 to $90. I have an LPG tank though, which retails for about 68c currently so I can fill it up for under $40.

Quote:
Add to that road tax, getting an MOT once a year, and insurance which is also extortionate. Because I am a young male driver, if I was the first and only driver in this car, I would be lucky to pay less than £2,000/year for my insurance, despite the fact that I have had my license for 3 years, never had any accidents and am a safe driver..
Holy ****! I pay about $500 for my insurance.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:37 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
People lurv phones!

Old 09-11-2014, 07:41 AM

24 posts, read 18,762 times
Quote:
£1.29 for a litre of petrol is just daylight robbery

Anything that is fun in this country is taxed. Alcohol, driving, anything you name it.
Sounds like Australia. Beer is taxed to $32 a case, a bottle of spirits $21 in tax. Drivers are treated like children here, speed cameras everywhere with next to no tolerance, speed limits being reduced left right and center. Speed limits are constantly being reduced, e.g. recently someone was hit by a car on a nearby road, and the speed limit was reduced to "protect the children". There is the constant mantra of taxing everything to "save us from ourselves" and tightening the strings whenever something happens, resulting in the whole population copping it rather than addressing the issue directly.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:48 AM

Its 21c outside about an hour after solar noon but it feels nothing like it would in the middle of the summer.

There is no point going outside..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather