Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 08:23 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,237,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
They have pluses and minuses, I was referring more to the size of a home.
True. I grew up in a 2 bed, 1 bath home with five people (myself included). A little bigger would have been nicer of course, but we managed...except for a strained sibling relationship. This house is perfect for a single person, couple, or couple with one child.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:24 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,445,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Suburbs are very inefficient and can be wasteful (utilities, gasoline, etc.), but they definitely have their benefits. Fresh air, trees, green space, etc. Cities may have small sections of this, but it's not as widespread as in some suburban and rural areas.
Absolutely agree with you on this. I am just not a city person at all. Too much time in the city or even in dense, crowded suburbs is draining. I love where I live and grew up - any downsides are greatly outweighed by the positive aspects.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:56 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,105,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
express your unhappiness about the weather or anything else
I'm borrowing on the anything else. I'm annoyed that a few of the practice questions for a big exam I'm studying for were poorly worded. It annoys me when the lead up to the question includes "sentences" that are not proper English. I don't mind it if the meaning is still very clear, but sometimes it distorts the meaning.

On the topic of weather. I am happy. Weather here is beautiful.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:14 PM

29,559 posts, read 19,653,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Absolutely agree with you on this. I am just not a city person at all. Too much time in the city or even in dense, crowded suburbs is draining. I love where I live and grew up - any downsides are greatly outweighed by the positive aspects.
I was a city boy since I moved to Chicago form Greece when I was 2 back in 1974. I lived in the city until December 2010 when I decided to moved my family to the far south suburbs for more space (bigger house for less money and lower taxes) and better, safer schools for my kids. I'm enjoying the suburban life right now, but in the future, I will be moving back into the city. Probably to some downtown highrise with a view of Lake Michigan as an empty nester. So I have a good 15 years at least.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:06 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,352,657 times
[quote=Rozenn;35091230]Yuck almost stepped on a house spider barefeet. It went ape and ran frantically all over the place, bumping into my foot (that's how I noticed it presence). Then it found a safe spot and stood still.

(warning: pic inside)

You should see the Huntsman spiders here! They're huge, run really fast and often come inside during the warmer summer months. I don't mind them but my wife is terrified of them and will scream her head off if she comes across one. I scoop them up (in a glass with cardboard underneath) and dispose in the garden. They're harmless but if you tease them then they will get mad and can bite especially if there are spiderlings nearby.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:15 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,352,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
People buy inner-city houses and flats because the countryside is boring and there is nothing to do beyond tipping cows. Cities have always been centres of culture & sophistication, while rural dwellers are usually considered dimwitted - friendly but simple-minded, parochial, inward-looking. Kind of like yourself.

It's why house prices in NI are so low - mostly rural, crap links to major cities for work & recreation, nothing fun to see or do.
There is a huge Irish population here with big bases in Bondi and Coogee. I work with some Irish people and they are really lovely. They love it here because of the (more sunnier and warmer) weather and lifestyle - they do much more outdoor activities here than in Ireland.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:17 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,551,628 times
I found a cockroach (maybe not, I only got a quick glimpse of it before it scurried away) while cleaning my office desk. Removed a folder that had been sitting on my desk for weeks and there was a cockroach. A little bit grossed out, but as long as they're good at not being seen I guess they're not doing much harm.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:14 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,721,724 times
been a nightmare for me the past week or so with a bedbug infestation in my apartment. I'm having to throw out most of my furniture and start from scratch

Old 06-06-2014, 08:17 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,695,007 times
Eeewwww!

Old 06-06-2014, 12:01 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,708,484 times
I saw an ant yesterday. I went to brush it off my pie packet, but it gave me a F*** you look, and scurried off.

There was an earthquake yesterday (when I was standing on a ladder). The swimming pool where I was working, was sloshing around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather