Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 03:10 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

A lot of the economic questions are a bit vague, though I'm sure it's on purpose. For example,

The rich are too highly taxed.

I put disagree, but my answer might change if I lived in certain western European countries.

It is regrettable that many personal fortunes are made by people who simply manipulate money and contribute nothing to their society.

Is this statement opposed to finance in general or just finance that is useless to society?

The only social responsibility of a company should be to deliver a profit to its shareholders.

One could answer it two ways from the "left". Agree, sure that's how the system works, it's the government's job to make sure corporations don't only value profit above all others. Or disagree, and say corporations should have social obligations.

And then on the first page:

Our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races.

I'm not sure what or who "our" refers to, who am I supposed to be identifying with? From the fact I'm confused by the statement, I assumed I should just disagree. This line,

What's good for the most successful corporations is always, ultimately, good for all of us.

reminds me of a 1950s quote. When the CEO of General Motors was appointed as Defense Secretary and questioned by congress on whether he would be willing to make a decision that could hurt GM.

"I cannot conceive of one, because for years I thought what was good for our country was good for General Motors and vice versa. The difference did not exist. Our company is too big. It goes with the welfare of the country."

Old 06-14-2015, 03:24 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
I put strongly disagree on the question which asked 'should people who wish to pay more receive a higher standard of healthcare'.

Everyone should receive a high standard, and they shouldn't have to pay at the point of use.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:26 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I put strongly disagree on the question which asked 'should people who wish to pay more receive a higher standard of healthcare'.

Everyone should receive a high standard, and they shouldn't have to pay at the point of use.
I did, too. I strongly support socialized healthcare.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:31 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Neither do I. I am talking about industries.

That is a false dichotomy, as I support neither.

It is morally degenerate and it inevitably comes with the systematic exploitation of women for monetary gain. Once more, I'm not talking about "two consenting adults." Even though you use that term, we're not really talking about two adults here, are we? I'm talking about the system as a whole.
Inevitably industries arise out of anything, whether it is either legally sanctioned, socially approved, or even illegally sanctioned. The prison industry has emerged as a powerful lobby that thrives on draconian laws and excessive enforcement which has resulted in a country with the highest incarceration rate in the world. That's an exploitation we should all be concerned about.

Ultimately it is about two adults and the micromanagement of their personal lives.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I bet no one would be as close to yours as me.
Great minds think alike.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:09 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Inevitably industries arise out of anything, whether it is either legally sanctioned, socially approved, or even illegally sanctioned.
Even if that is so, it says nothing of the magnitude of the industry. It's certainly no good argument for legalizing the very thing we should want to get rid of.

Quote:
The prison industry has emerged as a powerful lobby that thrives on draconian laws and excessive enforcement which has resulted in a country with the highest incarceration rate in the world. That's an exploitation we should all be concerned about.
Just another reason to be wary of private enterprises. The prison system should be entirely state-run. That would help prevent such abuses.

Quote:
Ultimately it is about two adults and the micromanagement of their personal lives.
No, it's not. All economic activities should be regulated to ensure they are serving the good of the people. Ultimately, I value the good of the collective over the rights of the individual. That doesn't mean every individual's life needs to be micromanaged at all, but my ideal society would have some clear boundaries set, to say the least, to prevent anyone from harming the interests of the nation.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:14 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post

On a more climate related, note? Should people who wish to pay more receive more water in a drought? Or should water be rationed by non market means?

Rich Californians balk at limits:

People “should not be forced to live on property with brown lawns, golf on brown courses or apologize for wanting their gardens to be beautiful,” Yuhas fumed recently on social media. “We pay significant property taxes based on where we live,” he added in an interview. “And, no, we’re not all equal when it comes to water.”

“What are we supposed to do, just have dirt around our house on four acres?”

Or not expect a four acre property in a semi-arid climate to stay green all the time. Seemed to escape him that few have four acres. Amusing twitter comments:

https://twitter.com/sethdmichaels/st...77971689799680

Doesn't Yosemite Falls still have water? They're letting it go to waste!

Old 06-14-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Even if that is so, it says nothing of the magnitude of the industry. It's certainly no good argument for legalizing the very thing we should want to get rid of.
Not an argument for legalization, I just elaborated on it since you mentioned industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90
Just another reason to be wary of private enterprises. The prison system should be entirely state-run. That would help prevent such abuses.
Agreed, but public sector unions often get in the way of policy making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90
No, it's not. All economic activities should be regulated to ensure they are serving the good of the people. Ultimately, I value the good of the collective over the rights of the individual. That doesn't mean every individual's life needs to be micromanaged at all, but my ideal society would have some clear boundaries set, to say the least, to prevent anyone from harming the interests of the nation.
I don't think legalized prostitution would pose a great harm to the general public. Legalized prostitution would be a regulated activity, not the dangerous underground free-for-all it is now.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:23 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
I'm slightly more liberal than Republican. But I love the 2nd ammendment, lower income & property taxes. Why wasn't there a question on firearm ownership, I wonder.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:26 PM

I think they wanted to not to be American-specific. My guess is firearm ownership is viewed not as a political issue in many countries, or in some countries just not normal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather