Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 12:10 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,583,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Lol, that's the snow equivalent of a small penis.
Hahaha... Still looks fun though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 12:13 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,388,854 times
That's actually a decent amount of snow.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:21 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,207,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Lol, that's the snow equivalent of a small penis.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:44 PM

13,488 posts, read 9,036,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Well its pretty eastern to me.

I don't consider -8c to be noteworthy at all even a high of -8c.
What?! You wouldn't consider a HIGH of -8C to be noteworthy?!? I'm pretty sure it hasn't happened very often, even on the mountain behind your house... The lowest daily maximum temperature record for the WHOLE of Northern Ireland is -11.3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I don't think so.

I think we could get a -15c high at a big big push.
No chance. That -11.3C high was during the coldest December ever recorded in Northern Ireland, don't expect to be getting temperatures that low again any time soon...

Old 09-14-2014, 04:49 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,737,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I have always believed this just anecdotally. However, I was shot down on here for saying it.
By whom?

The correlation coefficient is low and positive, meaning that both areas are slightly more likely record same-sign anomalies that opposite sign ones in the same time.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:55 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,231,687 times
Very mild

Old 09-15-2014, 07:00 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
I hope for a very warm autumn, and turning colder only around Christmas. Statistically speaking, that might just happen.

As the theme for this summer was long-lasting strong weather systems (persistent L in June with cold, persistent H in July with heat, again a strong L in late August and persistent H in September), I think we have a fair chance of seeing both this winter.
Can well be very warm in December but turning much colder around New Year. Would not be surprised to see a below average January here and a cold February in the UK, or vice versa.

I hope for a normal winter. Not slushy and with decent snowfall, but absolutely no January 1987 or anything of the sort. That is just way over the top.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
By whom?

The correlation coefficient is low and positive, meaning that both areas are slightly more likely record same-sign anomalies that opposite sign ones in the same time.
You probably accounted for that, but otherwise I suspect that some of the correlation is from the global average. As in a warmer year globally will introduce a slight boost in temperature everywhere on average.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:04 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,940,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You probably accounted for that, but otherwise I suspect that some of the correlation is from the global average. As in a warmer year globally will introduce a slight boost in temperature everywhere on average.

Maybe it is the set up of these very warm anomalies in the NE Pacific that caused such opposites last winter. If Europe has another winter like last year, and those sst are still there, we will have a really harsh winter. Jetstream down over us, up over them. Simple as that.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:12 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,956,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I hope for a very warm autumn, and turning colder only around Christmas. Statistically speaking, that might just happen.

As the theme for this summer was long-lasting strong weather systems (persistent L in June with cold, persistent H in July with heat, again a strong L in late August and persistent H in September), I think we have a fair chance of seeing both this winter.
Can well be very warm in December but turning much colder around New Year. Would not be surprised to see a below average January here and a cold February in the UK, or vice versa.

I hope for a normal winter. Not slushy and with decent snowfall, but absolutely no January 1987 or anything of the sort. That is just way over the top.
Is it even possible to see a repeat of January 1987
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather