Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2017, 07:25 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times

Advertisements

Of course it's not the worst. It's very inoffensive.

For a start it's better than anywhere that had the misfortune to be classed as a D climate by Koppen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 07:33 AM

1,363 posts, read 792,131 times
Lets not forget forget that Koppen drank 4 bottles of Vodka every day. I mean he did group Sydney into the same classification as all of NZ and Tasmania.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:27 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
That's cool. Dogmatically clinging to ideology is the root of all evil.

That is a good point. I am constantly re-thinking my feelings about weather and climate. A recent trip to Vermont to ski in bright sunshine and deep snow was amazing. Temps were single digits F to high teens but with proper clothing and light winds was very comfortable. You can't glide down mountains alone taking in beautiful scenery in warm climates. So imo winter and snow have their place in scenic rural areas and mountains.

I have also visited the "subtropical paradise" of the US South three winters in a row and have modified my thoughts on that also.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:27 AM

1,916 posts, read 1,460,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
To shortly answer the OP: yes, objectively, London has the worst climate of any sizeable city. I must be especially infuriating for Londoners knowing that the best climates on earth are found only a couple hundred miles away, just across the Channel.
Out of cities with over 5,000,000 people yes it's the worst IMO. The summers while somewhat dry are very poor with poor temperatures and sunshine. The winters are poor too because any month with less than 100 hrs of sun is horrific. Also it is not cold enough. Though it isn't the worst overall... Lerwick and Edinburgh of the Seven Seas take the cake there.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:30 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
Out of cities with over 5,000,000 people yes it's the worst IMO. The summers while somewhat dry are very poor with poor temperatures and sunshine. The winters are poor too because any month with less than 100 hrs of sun is horrific. Also it is not cold enough. Though it isn't the worst overall... Lerwick and Edinburgh of the Seven Seas take the cake there.
Moscow? 6 month of winter, much of that being incredibly brutal, and summers that are only slightly better than London's, and even that's debatable.

I don't understand how anyone other than cold weather lovers could place it above London.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
During a typical year, London will experience several days where the highs are above 30°C, so it does have occasional "heatwaves". But the reason why it comfortably beats Moscow, as you've said, is because it doesn't have 5/6 months of brutal winter every year. I don't see how that is a price worth paying for slightly better summers.

You could say that compared to Moscow, London doesn't even have a winter, just an extended fall.

True, only when London has a below or well below normal would I say they had a "winter". I think of their average winters as an extension of late November/early December here. That is about as bad as they get in a normal year. Moscow and Chicago otoh are far colder and have longer winters, with no nice mountains around to compensate.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:36 AM

1,916 posts, read 1,460,304 times
Quote:
Moscow? 6 month of winter, much of that being incredibly decent and summers that are much better than London's, and even that's debatable.

I don't understand how anyone other than cold weather lovers could place it above London.
That is why I am placing Moscow above London! And FTFY...

Old 03-23-2017, 09:22 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times
Quote:
Please tell me you're trolling
I'd like to be able to voice my opinion without being called a troll.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Of course it's not the worst. It's very inoffensive.

For a start it's better than anywhere that had the misfortune to be classed as a D climate by Koppen.

Remember something, your hated Mid-Atlantic USA climates are all "C" climates by Koppen, including where I live lol. Jan mean 33F so we just make it.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I work with a Nigerian guy, and even he said that he found Seville's summer temperatures unbearable. He said it felt like his skin was on fire.

Seville has a fantastic climate, and I was there in the month of September. At their latitude, I never felt fire on my skin. The temps were in the 90'sF and pure sun, but in the shade was very comfortable. Nights were even more comfortable than where I live in the summer.

My skin was on fire in Miami and Key West one year in the month of May. Literally I hid under palm trees and their skimpy shade trying to prevent being fried and feeling like I was going to pass out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather