Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 07:34 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,264,137 times

Advertisements

Really? I don't think so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 07:13 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,769 times
As promised, here's another batch of my Paris pics - actually most of these are from the day trip to Provins.

The Arc de Triomphe in its full glory -

The "Main Street" of Paris. And to think we didn't even walk down this street...lol. I heard it was full of gimmicky stores and overpriced cafes, etc.

Looking in the opposite direction towards La Defense. Notice the "cube" building in the center.

It's surprising how many people aren't aware that you can visit the top of the monument.

Truly a "mighty monument."

Provins! The weather was cool and misty - perfect for an outing to a medieval town.

Some really old houses.

On the main square of the town.

Provins very own skyscraper...lol. 800 years old and still standing tall.

As always, we went to the top. Admission only 4,40 Euro - a bargain!

Part of the wall that encircles the town.

Heading back to Paris. I love the colorful trains they have.

Countryside on the way back - very serene.

Last night in Paris. Compare this to the pic I posted in the other thread...lol.

It really was a lovely trip - I'd love to go back and explore more of France.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:24 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,414,650 times
Nice pictures, sounds like you had a great time!

Northern France (Paris aside) seems a bit boring to me whenever I have driven through it or visited there.. so much open countryside used for farming and it doesn't really look very pleasant. I always find the south much more interesting, the Languedoc region is very nice, as well as the entire Cote d'Azur. Even the south west and close to the Pyrenees is nice too, although the weather in these places is obviously hotter and probably wouldn't be to your tastes!

Old 06-23-2015, 08:17 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Maybe not that special scenery-wise, but Provins looks really pretty, one of the nicer looking towns I've seen in pictures. Surrounding rolling hills looks nice, too; surprised how forested the area around it is. Seems more similar to a town in England than in Spain, besides the buildings, Spanish towns looked much denser. How old are the old houses in Provins?

Arc de Triomphe looks fancier than New York City's arches.

Spoiler

Last edited by nei; 06-23-2015 at 08:45 AM..

Old 06-23-2015, 08:38 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
The Grande Arche de la Défense should be blown up or moved to bloody Ouessant or Utsjoki. Hideous piece of complete rubbish.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:38 AM

^^ Those are cute...lol. Kinda the opposite of the mini-Statues of Liberty I kept seeing around Paris.

I would say some of those houses approach 800 years old, like the castle and church.

Not surprising that this area resembles England than Spain - it's a lot closer to there than Spain. I suppose there isn't much forestland in Spain?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:45 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Northern Spain has a lot of forestland, but I haven't been there. Northwest part has a mild, wet climate somewhat similar to far northern coastal California. Spain probably has more forest than England, has England cut down most of its forest. Saw a lot of olive tree plantations in Spain, not much "natural" forest.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:12 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,737,715 times
Nice pics Northstar! How did you know about Provins? Seems like a pretty low profile town to me. Maybe the fact that it's a short train ride from Paris means that it's mentioned in tourist guides?

Edit: noticed that the last photo was from the Bouillon Chartier. I had one of my last meals with my grandfather there before he died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Nice pictures, sounds like you had a great time!

Northern France (Paris aside) seems a bit boring to me whenever I have driven through it or visited there.. so much open countryside used for farming and it doesn't really look very pleasant. I always find the south much more interesting, the Languedoc region is very nice, as well as the entire Cote d'Azur. Even the south west and close to the Pyrenees is nice too, although the weather in these places is obviously hotter and probably wouldn't be to your tastes!
A lot of Paris basin leaves to be desired in terms of interesting things to check out, but parts of the Loire Valley, Normandy, Burgundy, Brittany and Alsace are definitely worth a visit. Not that much open countryside in Brittany, Normandy or central Burgundy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Maybe not that special scenery-wise, but Provins looks really pretty, one of the nicer looking towns I've seen in pictures. Surrounding rolling hills looks nice, too; surprised how forested the area around it is.
Most of the forested areas are around the outer suburbs. After that, I remember it being mostly farmland. Arriving there from the NW:
https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Nan...8c51f0!6m1!1e1

Also remember that random refinery next to the tracks (there are a few oil wells in the area, guess that's why it is there):
https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Nan...8c51f0!6m1!1e1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The Grande Arche de la Défense should be blown up or moved to bloody Ouessant or Utsjoki. Hideous piece of complete rubbish.
Good idea. Ouessant would be my pick. Then we could fill in the windswept plaza with skyscrapers.

Quite warm down here today, with a high probably around 34°C/93°F where I work.

The sounds of summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7VT...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAlH...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-23-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 06-23-2015, 04:36 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times
some photos from Seattle taken today

Last edited by Botev1912; 04-09-2016 at 10:03 AM..

Old 06-23-2015, 04:59 PM

^^ Such a beautiful city. Too bad it's so costly to live there :/

Rozenn - Provins was mentioned in my Paris guidebook as a good place to go on a day trip. The train ride there was half the fun - sure wish I could have taken some longer train journeys. Next time

You're lucky to be able to live in such a fine country. 200 years from now, when the US has devolved into a bunch of 3rd-world fiefdoms, France will still be France. You guys have your priorities straight over there, i.e. quality of life for all > the ability of a few to hog all the wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather