Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 11:57 AM

5,983 posts, read 4,280,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Probably shade from stratospheric domes above the anvil?
I'm talking about the clear streaks in the cloud with the obvious edges. Chemtrails?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 12:16 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,737,715 times
I reckon the shade of prominent cloud tops could produce such obviously edged patterns. Kinda like this:

But now that you've mentioned them, chemtrails sound like a more convincing explanation.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:12 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,414,650 times
16mm of rain since 12th May.. my lawn is feeling the pain!

http://i.imgur.com/ZKOEKJR.jpg?1

Lovely start to the morning.. 9:30am this morning

http://i.imgur.com/ZlRDblf.jpg?1

Getting in the car to drive to work at 10:30am this morning. Already almost 34C at this point

http://i.imgur.com/ZkSg6UP.jpg?1

Old 07-01-2015, 03:31 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,264,137 times
10:30pm

Does anyone know what the plants are on the bush?

Old 07-01-2015, 06:14 PM

341 posts, read 341,646 times
London is gettin more and more mediterranean-like, I can't remember when our lawns in Poland were as yellow and we usually have highier temperatures and longer heatwaves during summer.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:07 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,414,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
London is gettin more and more mediterranean-like, I can't remember when our lawns in Poland were as yellow and we usually have highier temperatures and longer heatwaves during summer.
I think brown grass is pretty common in summer in the south east of the UK and other parts of western Europe.. someone on here posted before that in the last 30 years, we have been csb (cool summer Mediterranean) on 14 of those years. It doesn't even have to be warm, this past May and June have been really dry, but May was below average, and June only very slightly above

Old 07-02-2015, 03:17 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
I think a reason might be that the grass is hardly ever dormant in the UK, so it's pretty exhausted. Here it's dormant duing winter and full of life come summer.

As come on, we can be as warm/warmer, twice as sunny and have as little rain as London, but we never ever get that kind of grass except during exceptional drought.

London's grass is like a computer which has been continuously on for weeks, so no doubt it might be a bit jammed. Our grass is a computer which was put on just the other night, and obviously runs faster.

I think this fixation with brown grass is yet another attempt of making SE UK seem warmer, drier and sunnier than it actually is. Ugly it is at least.

Last edited by Ariete; 07-02-2015 at 03:26 AM..

Old 07-02-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I think a reason might be that the grass is hardly ever dormant in the UK, so it's pretty exhausted. Here it's dormant duing winter and full of life come summer.

As come on, we can be as warm/warmer, twice as sunny and have as little rain as London, but we never ever get that kind of grass except during exceptional drought.

London's grass is like a computer which has been continuously on for weeks, so no doubt it might be a bit jammed. Our grass is a computer which was put on just the other night, and obviously runs faster.

I think this fixation with brown grass is yet another attempt of making SE UK seem warmer, drier and sunnier than it actually is. Ugly it is at least.
The grass is dormant. We don't have to cut it for months.

I agree with your last sentence.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:02 AM

Oh and the grass does go brown on occasion.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:17 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

The grass goes brown simply because it's drier. The grass here is dry for about 3-4 months even with 100mm+ monthly rainfalls, because evaporation exceeds rainfall. In western parts of the region the grass rarely goes brown in summer due to much higher summer rainfall, but also grows quicker in winter than the grass around here due to greater warmth. So active growth throughout the year does not make the grass more susceptible to drought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather