Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do people tend to downplay Denver winters?
Yes, Denver gets cold! 33 63.46%
Nah, Denver winter is great compared to anywhere back east 19 36.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:23 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,458,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
I think we had similar conversations about humid and dry cold in the past.
Many times. I'm tired of being called a liar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 09:27 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,370,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Here's an interesting thread on the issue:

https://www.physicsforums.com/thread...y-cold.664987/

Another one:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=14509.0

Old 10-05-2015, 09:29 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,991,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Is humid cold in Serres accompanied by clouds, wind, or fog? It could be those factors making it seem colder, not the humidity itself. I think lots of people have the misconception because dry cold normally has lots of sunshine and it probably has a higher chance of being calm than humid cold.
Yes Serres is cloudy in winter and fog is common. Ioannina is cloudy, foggy and very rainy too. I am trying to understand it. I accept it. But many say the different. I am confused. I have a photo for example with a Russian woman and an Ukranian woman. We were at a village near here together in a calm sunny day with a high of 6 C. We were wearing the same clothing as I said to feel comfortable.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:30 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,991,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Yes but I think it is interesting for me because there are many different opinions for it.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:45 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
Quote:
Humidity alone doesn't make it feel colder though, that's the point. People have this misconception that humid cold is colder because of humidity but it's false. Many times humid cold is accompanied by clouds, fog, windy, raw conditions, etc. It's THOSE factors making it feel colder, not humidity all by itself.

I used to live in North GA, and an average winter morning up there was about -1 C, with 100% humidity, clear skies and heavy frost. Whenever we would have a cold snap, it could be about -1 C in the afternoon with a -15 C dew point which felt a lot colder than the morning, despite similar temperatures.

All factors being the same (wind, amount of cloud cover, etc) -1 C with a -20 C dew point will likely feel colder than -1 C with a -1 C dew point.

So, basically I just wrote a long useless text ? It's just that I have experienced both and that, to me, a 5c with a -3c dewpoint is gonna feel better than a 5c with a 4c dewpoint, even if it is a cloudy (and even slightly windy) day.

Why can't some people accept that not everyone is suited to the exact same conditions ?

I mean, it kinda feels weird to me that humid heat lovers say that dry heat is "scorching" and unbearable, but I can understand that they prefer it, even if it's not my preference (or mostly, that my body suffers more in humid heat because it's not a choice).

Old 10-05-2015, 09:48 AM

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Ironically, I think the same reason people say dry heat feels more "scorching" than humid heat is the same reason people think dry cold feels warmer. There's more direct sunshine/less cloud cover and probably less wind.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:52 AM

Well, it kinda feels weird to me that someone tells me that my body feels wrong things and should feel something else. It's not like I can make much of it.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Well, it kinda feels weird to me that someone tells me that my body feels wrong things and should feel something else. It's not like I can make much of it.
I'm not saying you're feeling anything wrong, I can understand that people can say that humid cold feels colder because there's more of an association of rain, fog, wind, lack of sun, etc that comes along with it. They ignore these factors and just point to the fact that it's more humid the reason it feels colder.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:03 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,802 times
Quote:
The rate of heat loss is quicker with dry air than humid air. If you were perspiring in dry cold it would feel much colder than humid cold. You won't really perspire much in cold weather anyways, unless like nei said you're overdressed or running a marathon.
The human body always perspires - it just the degree that varies. Generally, it's not noticeable when you are in a state of rest but it is still happening. And that layer of moisture next to your skin on a cold day will evaporate more (and more quickly) the lower the relative humidity. Being wet doesn't keep you warmer on a cold day - as is obvious if you have ever been out in wet clothes in the cold. But read, the link I posted - it's more detailed.

I think that this debate is more about at what point the temperature in a dry area is enough colder that it surpasses the cold humidity affect. Since the northern Front Range of CO has gotten into the minus 30s F, and mid-Atlantic record low temperatures are not nearly that low, one could argue that the cold humidity factor is not that important in this debate. Of course we also get dry, sunny days in the 60s sometimes in January here, so you have to take that into account as well when rating the relative winter temperatures.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:03 AM

Well, It's not like I check every factor everytime I go out, but I have seen sunny humid days (pretty common here on January afternoons to have 5c with sun yet it is humid and calm) and also dry grey winter days with wind, and I am not sure the former felt really better, honestly.

Maybe there is something about heat conduction or something, but I'm a bit lacking in physics here.

I'll see that in a couple of months...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather