Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 12:57 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I wouldn't stay inside 24/7 when the average high is 29 F LOL......I'm not a whiny baby. I go outside regardless of temps. How many times will I have to explain that to you? I swear I have like a million times.

For every high below 5 F there's also highs above 40 F. Funny how you don't mention that.

You're saying 24 F is fine now, but just a few posts ago you called 20s brutal.
24f a couple of times a year is okay (I think even London and Seattle get to 24f sometimes) but as an average high? Hell no!

Old 06-04-2016, 12:57 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
If you like Upstate NY I would just recommend Montreal for you. It's even colder but with better food and free Healthcare and activities that don't involve getting wasted and hooking up with weird Townies
True. I've been to Montreal before but during a heat wave in July 2005 I liked Quebec City even more and it's even colder there, similar to Northern Maine.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:00 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
Quote:
Hell yeah, but I was talking about average highs.
My climate has a low of 25F in January and a high of 86F in July. So from my perspective, an average HIGH in the 20s is not at all comparable to a high in the 80s.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:01 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,684,874 times
Quote:
I wouldn't stay inside 24/7 when the average high is 29 F LOL......I'm not a whiny baby. I go outside regardless of temps. How many times will I have to explain that to you? I swear I have like a million times.

For every high below 5 F there's also highs above 40 F. Funny how you don't mention that.

You're saying 24 F is fine now, but just a few posts ago you called 20s brutal.
I was calling average highs in the 20's "brutal" because of the circumstances that happen in those climates, not because of a single instance of 24 °F that's not bad. If you like it, that's okay, but you it's not like those winters are not dangerous at all and cannot be unpleasant. Also, the wind often makes it feel colder than it really is.

Quote:
If you like Upstate NY I would just recommend Montreal for you. It's even colder but with better food and free Healthcare and activities that don't involve getting wasted and hooking up with weird Townies
True! It's a big city as well. If smaller cities can be counted, I'd consider Grand Forks, North Dakota and Brandon, Manitoba.

Quote:
24f a couple of times a year is okay (I think even London and Seattle get to 24f sometimes) but as an average high? Hell no!
That's exactly what I think!

Old 06-04-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
My climate has a low of 25F in January and a high of 86F in July. So from my perspective, an average HIGH in the 20s is not at all comparable to a high in the 80s.
I was comparing them because they're both uncomfortable temps but not extreme.......also because Minneapolis ranges from 23 F to 85 F for average highs throughout the year and I see it as the essential four season climate lol.

I guess 24 F for an average high is more comparable to a 90 or 91 F average high. Still silly to call an average high of 90 F "brutal" though. Certainly hot, but very managable.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I guess 24 F for an average high is more comparable to a 90 or 91 F average high. Still silly to call an average high of 90 F "brutal" though. Certainly hot, but very managable.
Even Winnipeg's winter is perfectly manageable, considering the high number of people who live there, but is it pleasant? I'd say no.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:08 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
I think average highs over 90f in the summer can be called brutal. I don't know how people can survive in places like Jacksonville or Brownsville, they must have the Ac going on 24/7

Old 06-04-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I was calling average highs in the 20's "brutal" because of the circumstances that happen in those climates, not because of a single instance of 24 °F that's not bad. If you like it, that's okay, but you it's not like those winters are not dangerous at all and cannot be unpleasant. Also, the wind often makes it feel colder than it really is.

True! It's a big city as well. If smaller cities can be counted, I'd consider Grand Forks, North Dakota and Brandon, Manitoba.

That's exactly what I think!
I never once said that they couldn't be dangerous or unpleasant. Obviously during a bitter cold snap, a climate that has 24 F as an average high in January can be dangerous. But a sunny, 24 F day can be pleasant with the right clothing, especially if it's not windy.

24 F on its own isn't a dangerous temperature at all though. Just because you have to wear a coat doesn't mean you're going to die by going outside....I've gone running at 20 F before and I even felt hot at the end of the run.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Even Winnipeg's winter is perfectly manageable, considering the high number of people who live there, but is it pleasant? I'd say no.
Where did I ever say it was pleasant? I don't want winter to be pleasant.....It's supposed to be cold and snowy in winter, just as it's supposed to be hot and humid with storms during summer. Interest trumps comfort for me, and I go outside at whatever conditions. It would take like -70 F for me not to go outside, and even then I would go outside for a couple of minutes out of curiosity lol.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I never once said that they couldn't be dangerous or unpleasant. Obviously during a bitter cold snap, a climate that has 24 F as an average high in January can be dangerous. But a sunny, 24 F day can be pleasant with the right clothing, especially if it's not windy.

24 F on its own isn't a dangerous temperature at all though. Just because you have to wear a coat doesn't mean you're going to die by going outside....I've gone running at 20 F before and I even felt hot at the end of the run.
That's what I think! 24 °F on itself isn't dangerous. It's not one of the best feelings, either, but it can feel nice as well. It also depends on the mood I have during that moment. But those climates don't stay the same all month, you know. I like winters in London, Vancouver, Ushuaia, or even Reykjavik as the "cold" one.

What do you think about -20 °C (-4 °F)? Do you like it? If you like it, then you're quite ready to go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather