Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better collection of climates?
The U.K. 47 36.43%
The U.S. South 82 63.57%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 03:01 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,057,468 times

Advertisements

The south. You can go from climates like Washington DC where winter lasts for a bit over two months to somewhere tropical like Key West. The British climates are too influenced by the ocean for my tastes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 03:02 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Come on man, don't act like the warmth of Northern Norway is normal. It's not normal. And how come this warm current doesn't turn Western Europe into a boiling cauldron in the summer? Aside from Sevilla or Athens there's not a single place in Europe where the summers can match the brutality and cruelty of the summers in Miami and JaCasonville and Savanna

Greece is actually in the middle of three continents, even better. Yet it's much much milder than surrounding countries like SyrIa,;Egypt, Romania, or Libya

Hudson Bay is as useful as a horse's ass when it comes to moderating the climate. It's essentially a giant parking lot reserved for the polar vortex
its not milder than Syria or Egypt. most Syrian cities are located at higher elevations which make them cooler. look at inland Palestine, my town of Nablus averages highs in the low 60s (17c to be exact)in january at an elevation of 1700 feet( Wikipedia info is wrong), same latitude as Jacksonville Florida almost. most places on the coastal plain of Palestine have either recorded a freeze as their coldest ever or not at all. mangoes, guava, citrus jacaranda, date palms, anything you can think of can be pulled off, with warmer temps in winter on the coast you can pull off coconut palms.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:04 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Don't you think we are a bit cold for our latitude? How come Greece is so mild despite being in the middle of a continent? How come the Great Lakes are so cold despite being at the same latitude as the Black Sea. Why is Northern Norway so warm despite being at 70° N? Btw there are parts of Norway closer to the pole than parts of Antarctica. Why is there a "Siberia high" but not a Scandinavia high?

The Siberian High actually keeps much of Central Asia less extreme than the US in winter, and provides more stability for China than the US gets. Plus China has an east-west mountain chain that allows citrus cultivation further north in latitude than the US South.

We didn't get a Canadian High that would protect the South, nor a decent east-west mountain chain. What we got was a continent that the polar vortex seems to love following every SSW event.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:06 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The people on this forum from Europe seem far less extreme than you Americans from the South lol. Those hardcore weather X sites always attract the crazies. Surprised more of you aren't on there.

I don't need to assume it, I know it. Very few Americans I know would like to see Miami get temps below 20F or some other wacked out extremes you have wished for.

Answer the simple question why so many have moved away from the extreme cold areas in the US to the warmer winter areas?
You always bring this up, but I don't see why or what the point is. Are you somehow saying that people who like cold are weird because lots of people move from cold areas to warm areas? I don't see your point. Are you saying that because more people like warm/hot weather than cold that somehow people who prefer it are wrong or weird?

People who do that tend to be retired, 65+ people whose bodies can't handle the cold anymore due to old age. Most people on this forum are active, male, and probably in their 20s. Is it that surprising that some people prefer cold weather? I'm young (24), active, and am bigger than average (6'1" and 220 pounds). Is it really a surprise that I would be able to handle cold weather?

Old 06-02-2016, 03:07 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Wow that sounds fantastic, would be a good place to settle down when I'm older, I always dreamed of having a garden with tropical fruits and palm trees

With bone dry conditions and brutal heat in summer. No thanks. The coastal Med would be far better for you, and when you retire you can get a retirement visa which allows you to spend 6 months per year in Europe.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:11 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,057,468 times
Quote:
It's really not. In a world that makes sense Norway would have the same climate as Ushuaia or Juneau. And NYC would have the same winter as Madrid
New York and Eastern Russia can be climactically quite similar, but it depends on the place... Utica is 4F warmer, but this is cooler.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Placid,_New_York

for reference: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow

Old 06-02-2016, 03:11 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
Quote:
With bone dry conditions and brutal heat in summer. No thanks. The coastal Med would be far better for you, and when you retire you can get a retirement visa which allows you to spend 6 months per year in Europe.
Well obviously I still have 50 years before I have to start thinking about that lol. But yeah, coastal Med or somewhere in Argentina and Southern Brazil would be perfect

Old 06-02-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Really? Upstate NY is colder than Moscow?
Parts of the Northern Upstate NY are about the same as Moscow. Moscow had much more stable springs which meant less days of 20c in March ans April, but much less freezing days as well

Old 06-02-2016, 03:15 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
Quote:
Tom don't wait to retirement. I don't know your age exactly but if I had to guess it would be late 30s, seeming you said once you were in college in the late 90s. Go for it now. By now I mean nowwwwww. Do not wait till your old to live out the rest of your life in a dream place. No lie tom, go for it, try Australia, I'm positive you can get a job there or in new Zealand, if you really tried hard. Try Argentina, brazil, and places in the med. Out of all these places how can you not get lucky to be able to move to one? Go for it!

Old 06-02-2016, 03:19 PM

Yes we should do it asap, not wait until we're 70. I would love to find a job in Argentina or Peru and then remain there. Unfortunately the places in Europe that have good weather have no jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather