Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better collection of climates?
The U.K. 47 36.43%
The U.S. South 82 63.57%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 02:22 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Don't you think we are a bit cold for our latitude? How come Greece is so mild despite being in the middle of a continent? How come the Great Lakes are so cold despite being at the same latitude as the Black Sea. Why is Northern Norway so warm despite being at 70° N? Btw there are parts of Norway closer to the pole than parts of Antarctica. Why is there a "Siberia high" but not a Scandinavia high?
Seriously? These are all questions that can be answered very easily if you ever bothered to study the weather or climate.

Greece in the middle of a continent? Since when??

Hardly surprising that Norway is mild for its latitude, it's on the west coast of a continent along a warm current, how is that surprising???

There's no Scandinavian high because there's simply not enough landmass to support an Arctic high pressure. And actually, I think there may be a Scandinavian High, just doesn't have the same power as the Siberian High.

I would assume the Hudson Bay has some effect on the climate of the Great Lakes, which is why it's "cold" for its latitude, though Chicago or Detroit are hardly "cold" for their latitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 02:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Did you know that California has a lot of white supremacist groups too? They just go by different names. Racism is not limited to the south, and I live in one of the most diverse cities in the country. We aren't segregated either. My neighbors include white, Hispanic, black, Indian Asians, and East Asians. We have a large international presence here because of energy. We were the first large city in the US to elect an openly gay mayor (Annise Parker).
I know racism isn't just in the south, but most of the well known groups have more chapters there...

And obviously not everyone or every place in the south is like that, but whenever I hear or read reports of religious based bigotry in the US 9 times out of 10 it is in a southern state. But again this is usually in some deep south backwater & not usually in the larger cities...

Old 06-02-2016, 02:36 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Has he become a permanent resident or citizen? Still in Perth?

At least the guy lived out his dream and got out of cold climates. It's a lot more than I can say about all the cold lovers on this forum from the South that love freezing way cold winters, but don't move anywhere to get them.
I believe he's now a permanent resident but not yet a citizen. He recently took a job contract in Mount Isa but I haven't spoken to him since he started it. Being that Mt. Isa has a hot semi arid subtropical climate, I'm sure he's loving it

As for me, I'll probably have to wait for retirement before I can live permanently in my ideal climate. Problem is my wife loves the climate here in Vancouver and doesn't really want to leave. I guess I'll have to try hard to convince her over the years to come about the benefits of living in the tropics

Old 06-02-2016, 02:45 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Seriously? These are all questions that can be answered very easily if you ever bothered to study the weather or climate.

Greece in the middle of a continent? Since when??

Hardly surprising that Norway is mild for its latitude, it's on the west coast of a continent along a warm current, how is that surprising???

There's no Scandinavian high because there's simply not enough landmass to support an Arctic high pressure. And actually, I think there may be a Scandinavian High, just doesn't have the same power as the Siberian High.

I would assume the Hudson Bay has some effect on the climate of the Great Lakes, which is why it's "cold" for its latitude, though Chicago or Detroit are hardly "cold" for their latitude.
Come on man, don't act like the warmth of Northern Norway is normal. It's not normal. And how come this warm current doesn't turn Western Europe into a boiling cauldron in the summer? Aside from Sevilla or Athens there's not a single place in Europe where the summers can match the brutality and cruelty of the summers in Miami and JaCasonville and Savanna

Greece is actually in the middle of three continents, even better. Yet it's much much milder than surrounding countries like SyrIa,;Egypt, Romania, or Libya

Hudson Bay is as useful as a horse's ass when it comes to moderating the climate. It's essentially a giant parking lot reserved for the polar vortex

Old 06-02-2016, 02:48 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
There's plenty of places in the U.S. that have good weather if you're not someone who whines anytime it isn't 70 F and sunny.

The problem is that the mild winter places have too hot summers, and inland SW is too hot in summer with decent winters. That leaves coastal Cali with its cold water. Coastal Cali cannot hold a candle to the coastal Med areas in Europe or the climates in Australia like Perth or Sydney. Seriously, the US has limited climate choices. The vast vast majority of the place has continental climates with either way too hot summers or way too cold winters. There is not one single place in the US like Sydney Australia or Nice France or Buenos Aires, etc.

The humid subtropical climate in Buenos Aires or Sydney hands down beats anywhere in the South. The summer averages are much more reasonable, and the winter averages warmer and more stable.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:51 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Quote:
Come on man, don't act like the warmth of Northern Norway is normal. It's not normal. And how come this warm current doesn't turn Western Europe into a boiling cauldron in the summer? Aside from Sevilla or Athens there's not a single place in Europe where the summers can match the brutality and cruelty of the summers in Miami and JaCasonville and Savanna

Greece is actually in the middle of three continents, even better. Yet it's much much milder than surrounding countries like SyrIa,;Egypt, Romania, or Libya

Hudson Bay is as useful as a horse's ass when it comes to moderating the climate. It's essentially a giant parking lot reserved for the polar vortex
Seriously dude? In what way is any of this surprising? Go and read up and study climatology a bit.

And how in the world is Greece in the middle of a continent when it's nearly surrounded by sea? Just because it's on the border of two continents doesn't mean it's in "the middle of a continent".

Old 06-02-2016, 02:53 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Actually you're right telling me that I won't like it, I think I would go crazy if I had to experience 90f temps six months a year. I like 90f occasionally, maybe 30-40 times a year, but sure as hell not for months at a time. Im just saying, Upstate NY is a huge jump in terms of winter and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a huge shock to the system living there. I grew up in Moscow and then lived all my life in New York and even to me Upstate NY was a huge wake up call
Really? Upstate NY is colder than Moscow?

Old 06-02-2016, 02:57 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
It's really not. In a world that makes sense Norway would have the same climate as Ushuaia or Juneau. And NYC would have the same winter as Madrid

Old 06-02-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Tom likes to assume everyone shares his weather interests, so it doesn't surprise me that he would say this.

The people on this forum from Europe seem far less extreme than you Americans from the South lol. Those hardcore weather X sites always attract the crazies. Surprised more of you aren't on there.

I don't need to assume it, I know it. Very few Americans I know would like to see Miami get temps below 20F or some other wacked out extremes you have wished for.

Answer the simple question why so many have moved away from the extreme cold areas in the US to the warmer winter areas?

Old 06-02-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
You're asking for the US to have the same climate as those places, despite the giant difference in geogrpahy? Come on, if you bothered to ever study climatology or meteorology you would know that's impossible.

That gets us back to the basics, which is that imo the US is a geography and climate fail.

All we needed was one decent east-west mountain chain in the northern part of the country, and instead we get one that funnels cold air further south and actually contributes to being more extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather