Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better collection of climates?
The state of Texas 23 29.87%
The country of Japan 54 70.13%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 05:29 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times

Advertisements

Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 06:08 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Japan. Japan actually has some really nice temperature ranges, almost Mediterannean to the south of Tokyo. Sadly the lack of sunshine and the crazy rainfall holds it back from being as good as Italy or Argentina

Texas climates are pretty rough, way too hot in the summer

Old 12-27-2020, 12:56 AM

31 posts, read 24,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake&Bake View Post
Anyways, as much as I like Texas, I think I have to give this one to Japan. The country has real wet, monsoonal humid subtropical climates, with very comfortable summers, turning into straight out rainforests on some of the outer island territories; it makes Texas (and Southeastern US as a whole, for that matter), look rain-starved in comparison. They also have quite mild winters, in the sense that they don't get too severely cold in winter. Nothing like Yakushima in Texas:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakushima#Climate

Full blown tropical rainforests at Okinawa too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishigaki,_Okinawa#Climate

In contrast, only the far eastern parts of Texas close to the Gulf have the appreciably wet humid subtropical climates with relatively mild winters; these parts constitute Southeast Texas, and include places like Beaumont, Port Arthur, Houston, and Liberty. The South Texas coastal areas (south of the Houston Metro) have decent mild to warm winters for tropical vegetation (especially at South Padre Island), but are otherwise too dry. The rest of the state is just too dry, or just too continental for my liking.
Um, there isn't any part of Texas that is classified as continental, with the continental climate, according to Koppen, being placed far above anything in Texas, in Kansas, in fact.

There are semi-arid climates that are somewhat continental in nature, but for you to say that Texas is "too continental" when 1) Japan actually has a substantial amount of territory labeled under humid continental, Texas doesn't and 2) because some far southern, out of the way, tiny islands are tropical, is ridiculous.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:01 AM

31 posts, read 24,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I know the averages are similar but I prefer climates with low standard deviations in winter.
Throwing deviations out, Japan is heavily cold in winter, leaving out tiny, out of the way island chains. Much colder than Texas.

This seems to confirm my impression that a lot of the "USA so cold" people are weird, anti-American fantasizers.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:44 AM

346 posts, read 199,025 times
Quote:
I'll vote for Japan mainly because of Okinawa and smaller islands to its south. Texas doesn't have anything comparable
Facts.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:27 PM

167 posts, read 111,944 times
Japan has some really nice climates, Texas isn’t that bad but the heat is pretty extreme for around 3 months in most of it. Japan has some of my favorite climates like in Fujiyoshida with moderately cold winters and warm summers. Amarillo and some other nearby towns in the northern panhandle of Texas have better climates than most of Japan but as a whole Japan wins. Southernmost Texas also has some of the worst climates in the world with extremely hot and humid 5 month summers like Laredo and Mcallen.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:43 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,402,894 times
Japan. Texas is hot as hell in the summer.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:21 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,456,795 times
Nihon because at least it has some nice climates in the northern part, e.g. Sapporo and Asahikawa. Everywhere in TX is too hot.

Old 12-27-2020, 03:57 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times
Quote:
I'll vote for Japan mainly because of Okinawa and smaller islands to its south. Texas doesn't have anything comparable
Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
Facts.
Texas is a prime example of how North America's geography screws up an otherwise great latitudinal location. This applies not only for the record lows, but actually also for the heat/dryness in many areas of the state as well. Case in point, South Padre Island near the Tropic of Cancer has a record low of 17F! Whereas you don't even need to be near Okinawa to get milder extremes, like this city at 34N near Tokyo:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shizuoka_(city)#Climate

Old 12-30-2020, 12:18 AM

676 posts, read 647,927 times
Japan has a far wider array of climates, at least those that are interesting. Tropical, Temperate, Continental and even Polar climates are all found within the country.

Texas has Mediterranean and Desert type climates, which are pleasant, but dull in terms of variety vs Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather